Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dry Firing References

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    #4-6 x 7/8" yellow plastic wall anchors can be used to dry fire practice with a .22 LR.

I've been dry firing for over 40 years, rifle and handgun, and never had an "expert" tell me it was a bad idea.
    Last edited by T2C; 04-21-18 at 16:55.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score

Dry Firing References

From the FAQ on Kimber website, and prob as close as you’ll get from a manufacturer...

I know this because I’ve apparently argued with the same guy

I’m a big advocate of dry-fire because it has made me a better shooter. As mentioned above, familiarization and manipulation are skills in themselves. Not to mention trigger control.

ETA...I’m not an expert by any means.
    Last edited by JC5188; 04-22-18 at 05:03.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I found that Springfield Armory discusses, recommends dry-firing and even encourages it.
    Pretty good article.
    Here's the link:
    https://blog.springfield-armory.com/...-to-dry-firing

I kind of thought there would be more support from the manufacturers????
    But maybe it's just me...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Dry fire is training, and manufacturers are not in training business. Don't look up to SA, look up to its shooting ambassadors like Robbie Leatham or Williams sisters.

I didn't like that article that much due to several implications that df is most helpful for beginners. It is helpful to everyone.

Feedback Score
    Frontsight, the training school, puts out two home courses on dry firing. Here is a link:

http://www.drypractice.com/accessories.html

Feedback Score
    I somehow missed it and didnt see it mentioned. Glock makes their pistols so they must be dry-fired to takedown.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Actually Glock makes dedicated inert pistols designed for dry fire only. Available only to LE departments.

http://www.recoilweb.com/glock-train...ols-65303.html

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Beretta manuals for the PX4 and 92A1 suggest using snap caps if one desires to train without live ammo. M9A3 doesn’t appear to mention it.

Delta’s OTC, one of the few places in the military that teach one to become proficient with a pistol, uses both dry and live fire. Dry fire is fairly common in the military in general among units/individuals that desire proficiency.

Proficient competition shooters tend to dry fire extensively.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post

Does anyone have a link or info from a pistol manufacturer (or other reliable irrefutable resource) that just flat out recommends dry-firing as a good practice?

Wanting this info started as an argument at a local Cabelas with one of their “experts” but I couldn’t give any real support, such as Smith & Wesson, Glock, etc. recommend dry-firing. I practice by “dry firing” to practice trigger control, sight acquisition, etc. but can’t find any legitimate support.

I know you can go to the internet to justify doing anything anyway you want and maybe my search skills prevent me from being able to find something that is more than being just a bunch of opinions.

Would anyone have any links or ideas?

Thanks
    No manufacturer is going to recommend dry-firing as a good practice because they have no control over it and it is subject to abuse. A handgun is a machine and parts will have a cycle lifetime, while dry firing is not subjecting the firearm to the same stress as live firing you are still cycling the action and causing wear. If you run 10,000 rounds through a firearm and have to replace parts that seems reasonable, dry fire 10,000 times run 1,000 rounds and have to replace parts and idiots will be all over the interwebz with "my gunz only lasted 1,000 rounds".

Feedback Score
    Mack7.62 hit it exactly right, gun manufacturers are not going want that to happen or N.D.. No dri-fire no N.D.... No way to blame Mfg for it.
    NRA Life Member.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast