Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New everday-carry pistol: don't laugh!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

New everday-carry pistol: don't laugh!

I've been carrying a compact 1911 since getting licensed.

Bought a Ruger 9e. Got it new in the box from a guy. Paid $300 cash and got the gun plus 3 mags. I bought it because I'd never had a poly framed, double stack, striker fired gun. I figured if I didn't like it, I could get my money out of it or trade it off. But I took it to the range and --

Yeah! Points not unlike a 1911. Feels good in the hand. Easy to operate and shoot. Carries 17+1. I don't have to baby it like my pretty 1911s; if it gets dinged or gets a spot of rust, who cares? It fed & fired all kinds of ammo, cast lead reloads, various bigmouth hollowpoints.

Never thought I'd pack a $300 or so gun, but why not, if it works!

Feedback Score
    Nothing to laugh about. If the gun works well and you shoot it well carry it.

A used Glock is worth $300-350 so don't feel weird carrying a $300 gun. Not sure what it's value has to do with anything, really. It works, you like it, go with it.

Feedback Score
    I have held one in my hand and it felt good to my 1911 trained hand. Maybe I should give it a try the next time someone has them on special. I agree with Ron3. As long as it's reliable, durable and I can shoot it well I'm happy with it.

Feedback Score
    Yeah. Cost is not an issue.

Your $3000 race gun that gets finicky with a grain of sand and some belly button lint that you go to the safety area and clean between stages or similarly costing shoot the balls of a knot bullseye gun you have a minute per shot to play with may not be ideal carry guns.

Your 200$ Star BM that has fed mag after mag of HSTs without a hiccup when dusty, wet, sandy, dry, even with coated with debris from the year it spent under the seat of your Bronco may well be.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    Most people would be better off with $300 handguns and more training. Nothing wrong with your purchase.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticaldesire View Post
    Most people would be better off with $300 handguns and more training. Nothing wrong with your purchase.
    Couldn't agree more. Spend $$$ on training and ammunition; then fix what doesn't work, when it doesn't work. The older I get the more brand agnostic I become. Just give me something that works.
    nothing screams napoleonic warfare more than cannons roaring in the background

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Most important thing in a carry gun is that you’ll actually carry it ALL THE TIME. Second is reliability and 3rd how well you shoot it. If this gun checks the blocks for you then rock (carry) on!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by medicman816 View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Spend $$$ on training and ammunition; then fix what doesn't work, when it doesn't work. The older I get the more brand agnostic I become. Just give me something that works.
    I often carry a Bulgarian Makarov which cost me $100 a several years ago, a Polish P-83 which cost me $200 a few years ago, and a CZ PCR which cost me $300 several years ago. I have many pistols that cost many times more than that. Those are the ones I carry the most. None of them have ever failed.

Feedback Score
    Nothing wrong with that choice as long as it works for you.

I never personally understood why some guys carry a really expensive firearm for EDC. If you get into a shooting with that $3500 WC 1911, it’s going into a locker for a long time. I have nothing against loving and carrying 1911’s, but maybe carry a $700 Ruger or SA and keep the Wilson for the range...

Of course, if it’s your money, do as you want. Just my overly simple POV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That's what I think. The Kimber Ultra Carry 9mm that the Ruger replaced is a thing of beauty. I grew up shooting 1911s so when I got licensed it seemed to make sense to get a smaller, lighter 1911. But now the cheapo Ruger has replaced it (17>8). You could buy about four of the 9e for what one Ultra Carry would cost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast