Thread: FEG Malfunction

Feedback Score

FEG Malfunction

Hey guys,

I also posted this on 1911addicts, but I love you guys so I am also posting it here.

Hey guys,

I went to the range for the first time today -not ever, just a new range I got a membership to -and I brought along my two FEGs PJK-9HP. One of them got back from the gunsmith a while ago, but this is the first time I've gotten a chance to shoot it since I picked it up. The other I just was working on myself. I could use some help to figure out the issues before I go back to the gunsmith.

FEG #1: Gunsmith

I had this pretty much gutted as I couldn't trust how much it had been used as a surplus pistol. It has a new: Trigger (Garthwaite), Trigger Lever, Trigger Spring (Wolff Extra Power), Extractor (Cylinder & Slide), Hammer & Sear (Cylinder & Slide - Target*), New Wolff Springs all around, Wolff recoil spring is at 18.5 lbs, except the Hammer Spring which came from Cylinder & Slide and is at 21lbs, YIKES

*I didn't realize the hammer spring was so light until after I bought it and threw it in the pistol.

The malfunction was that the trigger wouldn't reset and would be dead. I couldn't pull the trigger and it wouldn't go bang. Also, I noticed that the trigger pin was walking out.

FEG#2: Me

This one is stock, but has new Wolff springs all the way around, all standard weights from the 1935 Service Pack.

This malfunction was a double feed every time. I changed to a brand new Mecgar mag and the issue persisted. I know that it simply wasn't extracting the spent case, but I don't know why as it was a brand new extractor spring in there. I pushed down on the extractor and it just wiggled like there was no resistance.

I was able to take the complete slide off of #1 and throw it on #2 and it ran perfectly. Although I realized I can't shoot for shit, but that's a side issue.

Any help would be appreciated and if you have any recommendations for a gunsmith around the Lansing area let me know too!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If changing the slide, and only the slide, made the problem go away, then I'd suspect the problem is a bad extractor in the "bad" slide.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    If changing the slide, and only the slide, made the problem go away, then I'd suspect the problem is a bad extractor in the "bad" slide.
    I'm going to the range to confirm, but I took the "bad" extractor spring out and replaced it with another brand new wolff spring and now the extractor seems a lot stiffer.

The other malfunction is still a mystery to me tho.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    FEG 1. What was done to the sear spring. Gunsmiths are famous for changing the curve in the sear spring. I had a FM Hi Power that had an amazing trigger but would hammer follow or have a dead trigger at least once every few mags. I put in a factory replacement sear spring and it worked fine. I'm no HiPower expert but I know tinkering with the arch in the sear spring can be a fine line that when crossed causes issues.

FEG 2. If you have a new spring in and you are sure the slide where the extractor spring seats is nice and clean then look at the extractor.

Don't forget these all steel guns like lube. Not a couple of drops like you would put on a polymer pistol. Good luck. David

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    FEG 1. What was done to the sear spring. Gunsmiths are famous for changing the curve in the sear spring. I had a FM Hi Power that had an amazing trigger but would hammer follow or have a dead trigger at least once every few mags. I put in a factory replacement sear spring and it worked fine. I'm no HiPower expert but I know tinkering with the arch in the sear spring can be a fine line that when crossed causes issues.

FEG 2. If you have a new spring in and you are sure the slide where the extractor spring seats is nice and clean then look at the extractor.

Don't forget these all steel guns like lube. Not a couple of drops like you would put on a polymer pistol. Good luck. David
    Thanks. I will look into the sear spring.

Changing the extractor spring def fixed the issue on FEG 2. Plenty of lube too.

Feedback Score
    The pin is tapered. The pin must be driven in from the left side of the pistol, and when removed, driven from the right. You should see the end from the smaller radius on the right side of the pistol. It may have been improperly assembled/disassembled at one point and now it won't hold. A little bit blue loctite on the holes will hold it.

The trigger reset is more concerning. The previous poster is right: many gunsmiths bend the sear spring to get a lighter trigger. The Hi-power is not as tolerant as the 1911 when it comes to removing the bend in the sear spring. Hopefully a new spring works . . .if not, something is probably going on with the sear/hammer angles.

How light is the trigger when it resets?