Thread: Leupold spotting scope

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Leupold spotting scope

Insurance company paid me back $1000 towards purchase of new spotting scope. My brother is a cop and he offered to use his leo discount through Leupold for 50% off MSRP. What is my best option for range and field use? Something that can be tossed into back pack for hunting is a valid concern. I have never used one of Leupold's spotting scopes and I am not that familiar with their current line up. thanks!!

Just for clarification, I am looking for a Leupold product with MSRP of $2000...
    Last edited by Krazykarl; 04-22-18 at 06:57. Reason: Clarification

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    For a dual use (hunting/range) I would go with a MK4 like this one:

https://www.leupold.com/spotting-sco...40x60mm-hd-kit

Going with a higher power low end makes it harder to use without a solid tripod so the 12 X would be better IMO.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I am having a hard time trying to figure out the difference between mk4 and golden ring. The mk4 is within the price point.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    I am having a hard time trying to figure out the difference between mk4 and golden ring. The mk4 is within the price point.
    I just bought a MK4 so just went through this - both are considered "Gold Ring" level as far as features, warranty, etc. The actual 12-40x60 Gold Ring model is aimed at hunters, outdoorsmen, birders, etc and the like, while the MK4 variant is aimed at target shooters, bench shooters, PRS, military/police/etc use. The MK4 only differs in the housing (MK4 has grippy-ish armor-coat type coating instead of smooth slicker finish of GR, glass (Gold Ring has an extra lens coating that previously did not pass Mil testing so was left of the MK4 - although Leupold was working on newer version of said coating so this may have been corrected already) and reticle (Gold Ring typically had no reticle, MK4 has TMR Reticle or Mil-dot if older). Otherwise they are essentially the same. Pick based on your intended usage.

Although typical retail price on these is $1699 give or take, if you shop around you can find them for $1200-$1300 - keep that in mind when you get Leupold's LEO discount. Also sometimes those LEO/MIO deals can takes weeks or months even to process, so if you are in a hurry it might not be best option.
    ---
    NRA Life Member
    US Navy Veteran

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    78staff,

Exactly the information I have been looking for. Thank you!

Karl

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    After months of reviews and checking out other scopes, I went with a Pentax 80ED. Very happy with the performance and the price was perfect. The problem? Wow! Big! I need to upgrade my tripod. Is manfrotto still the best way to go?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    One thing that Luey has a Mil Dot reticle which makes me green with envy. I would love a mil dot for my Vortex HD spotter.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    One thing that Luey has a Mil Dot reticle which makes me green with envy. I would love a mil dot for my Vortex HD spotter.

PB
    Doesn't Vortex sell an eyepiece with a ranging reticle of some sort? I think I remember reading that they do offer them.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Doesn't Vortex sell an eyepiece with a ranging reticle of some sort? I think I remember reading that they do offer them.
    Not the new Line. The older Line , yes. I asked if they would make it, “ not enough demand “ SUCKS “
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Not the new Line. The older Line , yes. I asked if they would make it, “ not enough demand “ SUCKS “
    Disappointing, for sure. They probably figure that most use laser range finders, I imagine.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine