Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Q's regarding geissele and NF mount for the NF ATACR 4-16 scope

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Keep in mind you get half of that elevation adjustment if your zero happens to be dead center (which it probably won't be). I've shot my mws to 900m with NF atacr 4-16 and had to dial about 11 mils. To dial past 1km would require a 20 moa mount, since it gives you another 5 mils of elevation adjustment.
    Good points.

Do you dial for elevation exclusively or do you use hold overs at all?

I was planning on zeroing for 100 and using a Horus reticle with holdovers and not do any dialing, but I suppose that may become difficult beyond 800meters as I'll be trying to use the lower portion of the reticle as 11mils starts to get pretty close to the bottom edge of the scope image.

OK, so everyone is saying to go 20MOA cant, so I guess that's a clue!
    Formerly known as "Son of Vlad Tepes"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    You always get the 20 moa if your shooting at distance. Also, down the road you might shoot further, which is a good thing. Also, this could find itself on another rig. Just get the 20 moa. Also, if you dial up, you will be in the sweet spot on scope, i.e. The middle.

I run the G mount on my MWS, love it. NF is fine too though.

PB
    Did you get the SR25/AR10 Geissele with a built in 20MOA cant? I can't find this anywhere for sale. I've read that some use a standard M4 mount on their 308's just fine. I think it is easier finding an M4/34mm/with cant. The rails are standard so it should work. Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    I use a Nightforce Xtreme unimount on my Scar17. It is three bolt and not extended for an AR. It would be perfect for your LMT.

Heres a link. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/54...yABEgJqdvD_BwE
    Nice mount, another good one to consider.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Good points.

I was planning on zeroing for 100 and using a Horus reticle with holdovers and not do any dialing, but I suppose that may become difficult beyond 800meters as I'll be trying to use the lower portion of the reticle as 11mils starts to get pretty close to the bottom edge of the scope image.

Most people, me included dial for elevation and hold for wind. You can do it with a Horus and even without a Horus but Im much more precise dialing elevation.
    Inside 500 you can hold both pretty easy, even with just a mil dot. But past that dial. YMMV

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Most people, me included dial for elevation and hold for wind. You can do it with a Horus and even without a Horus but Im much more precise dialing elevation.
    Inside 500 you can hold both pretty easy, even with just a mil dot. But past that dial. YMMV

PB
    I see. I'm starting to think that my idea to hold out to 1000 may be unrealistic. Maybe out to 700-800 will be GTG.

Last year I took a John "Shrek" McPhee long range class and we shot using hold overs only, but "only" out to 600, which was the focus of the class. We were shooting 12x24" reduced silhouette targets.

I took that class with a 556 gun and a Burris XTR II 1-5X scope which was the least amount of magnification anyone had in that class. I was able to make 80% hits out to 400, and 70% hits out to 450. The 500 target was in shaded woods and I didn't hit it once with my rig. I hit it with other student's guns that had more scope on them, using no less than 8X.

Anyway, I guess I will have to do some dialing at the longer distances.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Good points.

Depends on the distance or if I'm in a hurry. I like to dial, but for speed, holding over is way faster. At longer distances hold overs don't always work that well. This is my 20" bolt gun with a NF atacr 4-16x42 mil-r reticle throwing 175 gr smk:

You can only hold over with magnification set to 16x to about 12.5 mils. You're also looking through the worst part of the glass at the edge, where things like chromaric aberration will be more visible. It will be harder to see your target and spot impacts. The highest quality image is through the middle, not the edge.

This is my personal opinion, but if I have lots of time I dial. If I don't have time, I hold. And I prefer to dial for anything past 500.

If you still want to use a 0 moa mount you can always dial and hold for longer distances. Dial 10 mils and hold another 2-3 to get the elevation you need, etc.
    Last edited by Slippers; 04-24-18 at 22:49.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Depends on the distance or if I'm in a hurry. I like to dial, but for speed, holding over is way faster. At longer distances hold overs don't always work that well. This is my 20" bolt gun with a NF atacr 4-16x42 mil-r reticle throwing 175 gr smk:

You can only hold over with magnification set to 16x to about 12.5 mils. You're also looking through the worst part of the glass at the edge, where things like chromaric aberration will be more visible. It will be harder to see your target and spot impacts. The highest quality image is through the middle, not the edge.

This is my personal opinion, but if I have lots of time I dial. If I don't have time, I hold. And I prefer to dial for anything past 500.

If you still want to use a 0 moa mount you can always dial and hold for longer distances. Dial 10 mils and hold another 2-3 to get the elevation you need, etc.
    All of your comments and points are well received and taken.

Gotta love that Strelok app too!

I have decided to go with the 20moa cant. After all of your comments and more research it seems like 600 or less, no cant is GTG, but 600 and over, a 20MOA cant is a desirable feature.

Also I've contacted Geissele and their customer rep. communicated to me that a standard AR15 mount is GTG for an AR10 platform, and that's what he recommended for an LMT MWS, and that the AR15 mount can be obtained with a 20MOA cant of course.

OK, I'll sleep on it and see which one I go with, NF or G.

Thanks everyone, you've been most helpful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12