Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q's regarding geissele and NF mount for the NF ATACR 4-16 scope

Feedback Score

Q's regarding geissele and NF mount for the NF ATACR 4-16 scope

...this shouldn't be this hard, but I just can't seem to get a clear enough answer..my Search Fu has become bullshido apparently

I'm getting a Nightforce ATACR F1 Rifle Scope 34mm Tube 4-16x 42mm (with a tremor 3, illuminated).

I want a Geissele Super precision mount for it.

First of all it is very difficult to even find one for an AR10/SR25 platform. Haven't found one for sale yet. I'll be mounting it on an LMT MWS.

The only thing I've found was on the Geissele website:
    Super Precision - SOPMOD Certified for:
    - Mark 6 Scope Mount, 34mm For SR-25 Platform, DARK EARTH
    - CQBSS Scope Mount, 34mm For SR-25 Platform, black
    - Schmidt & Bender Scope Mount, 34mm For SR-25 Platform, black

I'd like to get a black one, but will these fit a NF scope like I want? Or, do I need the generic version?

Am I correct in thinking all of these are approx. 1.5" centerline above the rail?

Are these SOCOM versions the "standard" length, and not extended?

Will the "standard" SOCOM version allow me to mount the NF with the rear of the scope at the charging handle or a bit forwar?
    Or, do I need an extended (SOCOM or generic) version full stop?

I guess I could get a NF unimount as well, which I've read is GTG, but they all seem to come with a 20MOA taper, which I don't need as this will be an 800-1000 yard 308 gun with a Tremor 3 reticle.
    But would the 1.5" NF unimount work, despite the 20MOA taper?
    ...but now I see that NF only makes an extended version in a 1.44" height, which I suppose is close enough to 1.5", but I'd rather have a known feature in the 1.5" height, so
    ...so I'm back to, do I even need an extended mount, including for the NF unimount?
    Last edited by DacoRoman; 04-22-18 at 16:30.
    Formerly known as "Son of Vlad Tepes"

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    If your mounting it on a MWS you don't need and extended mount. The mono upper receiver allows for really any mounting position. So I wouldn't let that hold you up on your search. I own and have owned both the Mk6 and CQBSS Geissele mounts. They will work well for what your after. Even the standard AR10 Geissele mounts will be perfect and you can usually find those on sale through retailers. The SOCOM mounts usually are only through Geissele direct and full price.

You say the 1.5 is a known feature? What does that imply? Usually for me, I like to run the least height over bore in magnified scoped optics. Assuming they clear BUIS.. I run offsets so that would be a deal breaker. You could also use a good set of seekins, badger, NF, rings and save a few hundred.

Geissele has the specs for the differences in the photos for each mount. Look at the differences and measure what that would look like on your scope. And then look for the best deal afterwards. Splitting hairs on the AR10 vs SOPMOD Mk6 and CQBSS mounts when on a Mono rail gun.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    If your mounting it on a MWS you don't need and extended mount. The mono upper receiver allows for really any mounting position. So I wouldn't let that hold you up on your search. I own and have owned both the Mk6 and CQBSS Geissele mounts. They will work well for what your after. Even the standard AR10 Geissele mounts will be perfect and you can usually find those on sale through retailers. The SOCOM mounts usually are only through Geissele direct and full price.

You say the 1.5 is a known feature? What does that imply? Usually for me, I like to run the least height over bore in magnified scoped optics. Assuming they clear BUIS.. I run offsets so that would be a deal breaker. You could also use a good set of seekins, badger, NF, rings and save a few hundred.

Geissele has the specs for the differences in the photos for each mount. Look at the differences and measure what that would look like on your scope. And then look for the best deal afterwards. Splitting hairs on the AR10 vs SOPMOD Mk6 and CQBSS mounts when on a Mono rail gun.
    Thanks for the detailed answer. I was referring to the fact that 1.5” optic centerline above the rail is a known quantity to me and I think it is common for AR type mounts to have this spec. or close thereabouts.

But yeah, thanks for the info, i’ll prob go with a standard geissele generic ar10/sr25 Mount or a socom if that’s all I could find!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Thanks for the detailed answer. I was referring to the fact that 1.5” optic centerline above the rail is a known quantity to me and I think it is common for AR type mounts to have this spec. or close thereabouts.

But yeah, thanks for the info, i’ll prob go with a standard geissele generic ar10/sr25 Mount or a socom if that’s all I could find!
    You should also select a mount with 20moa cant to maximize your ability to dial for elevation. You may not plan on dialing with the tremor3 reticle, however you may as well have the option. The NF mounts are also very nice and worth considering. And there’s always Spuhr mounts, which are awesome albeit pricey.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    You should also select a mount with 20moa cant to maximize your ability to dial for elevation. You may not plan on dialing with the tremor3 reticle, however you may as well have the option. The NF mounts are also very nice and worth considering. And there’s always Spuhr mounts, which are awesome albeit pricey.
    true...and the NF is more economical..since the Geissele AR10/SR25 mount is so hard to get, I may just go NF

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    true...and the NF is more economical..since the Geissele AR10/SR25 mount is so hard to get, I may just go NF
    NF mount is great and 20moa.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    NF mount is great and 20moa.
    Yeah I noticed that all of the NF unimounts have that 20MOA cant...I guess that's a good, all around, "better to have and not need..." amount.
    However I can't help but wonder why SOCOM went with 0 degrees cant. Although if you think about it, with a 0 degree cant, with a 308, you'd be dialing in around, what 12-13 mils of elevation to get to 1000 yards, which is well within the capability of most scopes I would guess. The NF I'm looking at has 26 mils of elevation adjustability for example. Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You always get the 20 moa if your shooting at distance. Also, down the road you might shoot further, which is a good thing. Also, this could find itself on another rig. Just get the 20 moa. Also, if you dial up, you will be in the sweet spot on scope, i.e. The middle.

I run the G mount on my MWS, love it. NF is fine too though.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Yeah I noticed that all of the NF unimounts have that 20MOA cant...I guess that's a good, all around, "better to have and not need..." amount.
    However I can't help but wonder why SOCOM went with 0 degrees cant. Although if you think about it, with a 0 degree cant, with a 308, you'd be dialing in around, what 12-13 mils of elevation to get to 1000 yards, which is well within the capability of most scopes I would guess. The NF I'm looking at has 26 mils of elevation adjustability for example. Thoughts?
    Keep in mind you get half of that elevation adjustment if your zero happens to be dead center (which it probably won't be). I've shot my mws to 900m with NF atacr 4-16 and had to dial about 11 mils. To dial past 1km would require a 20 moa mount, since it gives you another 5 mils of elevation adjustment.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I use a Nightforce Xtreme unimount on my Scar17. It is three bolt and not extended for an AR. It would be perfect for your LMT.

Heres a link. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/54...yABEgJqdvD_BwE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast