Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: On bipods...

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    It depends on what rifle you're attaching it to and how. Most of the newer bipods like Atlas are setup for Pic rail attachment, which is ideal if you have a Pic rail, like on most newer semiauto rifles. But not convenient for most bolt-action rifles or an M1A. The Harris is setup for a sling stud, which is not a great system mechanically, but does work, and is already installed on nearly all bolt-action rifles. You can of course get adapters to put a Harris on a Pic rail, or on MLOK rails, and you can put a Pic rail on a bolt-action or M1A stock, but it's more money and less convenient.

The Harris is an ancient design that looks just like a product of its time, but it works and works quite well.

I have two of the GG&G bipods in use. They are pretty good, but if I did it over I might try another brand. I also have several Harris bipods. I use the GG&G on rifles with quadrails, and the Harris on everything else.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Atlas for most precision rifles, Harris BRMS on others. LRA on the ultra long distance precision rifles that are really heavy and need a wide footprint on various types of terrain - not cheap.
    Last edited by jethroUSMC; 04-23-18 at 09:48.

Feedback Score
    For semi's, Harris. For my bolt gun that I use in PRS, Sinclair tactical bipod.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    No one has mentioned the Parker-Hale. Rightfully so I might add

Heavy, loud, catches in brush and self-deploys. Spendy, too, Mounting solutions are few and also 'spensive. Thought I should have one years ago since it was seen on high-speed Euroteam guns. Back to Harris.

I've tried to cheat on Miss Harris many times since and I always come crawling back, asking for forgiveness. I do have a Harris-ish knockoff that's pretty good but if I were going to be seen in public I'd put on a Harris. I've tried a few others that did not measure up to Harris but I have not been able to justify trying an Atlas.

I guess for what I do, at the level I do it, Harris will probably always suffice for me. I strongly prefer one with the swivel so I can maintain perfect level.

Yes it's an old design but that doensn't necessarily mean "dated", it might mean they got it right the first time, way ahead of the others.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Atlas all the way. I'm used to working it with one hand at this point. It's slower, but I'm not shooting speed matches or anything. I hate the Harris. Too complex... never seem to be adjusted right. I hate nothing more than getting on a gun with a loose Harris.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    With Harris being an apparently old design, do they make very many LE/Military sales?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    For semi's, Harris. For my bolt gun that I use in PRS, Sinclair tactical bipod.
    That's an interesting split.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    With Harris being an apparently old design, do they make very many LE/Military sales?
    Just because it’s older doesn’t mean it’s not viable. I can’t speak to LE/MIL sales, but I wouldn’t feel disadvantaged with a Harris compared to an Atlas. To be honest, the opportunities to deploy a bipod in the real world are relatively few compared to shooting off a pack or some other barrier.

I know a guy who ditched a weapon mounted bipod in favor of building a tripod out of available materials and paracord. Lighter, easy to stash in a pocket,, and no big deal if he has to leave it behind.
    Last edited by BrigandTwoFour; 04-24-18 at 06:57.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a Harris with the pod-claws attachments, that is now basically my 10/22 bipod. For everything else I use either a GG&G or ATLAS, really all three are perfectly fine, I need spike feet for the atlas though, make it easier to load it.

Feedback Score
    How long has Harris been around? 1980's?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast