Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toronto Van Attack (4/23/18)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Per the GF, one of their big subway stations is near that intersection--Target Rich Environment for a wannabe Mass Killer.

Stupid question: what load for Minivan Maniac out of a 10.3? Assuming M995 Black Tip is unavailable and you're stuck with Civvy Legal...
    Punching through windshield or door... Really any good bonded soft point like Gold Dot or Fusion or a good solid like a TSX or GMX.

From my experience even the lowly M855 does decent through a windshield.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Stupid question: what load for Minivan Maniac out of a 10.3? Assuming M995 Black Tip is unavailable and you're stuck with Civvy Legal...
    But realistically most of us won't have a SBR on us when this kind of thing happens. Better question is what handgun ammo will be useful post-windshield. I'm betting any US-made bonded JHP, like Speer Gold Dot for one example, but will defer to experts.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    They have the driver in custody but haven't released a name or motive yet. But the mayor of Toronto said:

"This is a time when this community should come together," Toronto Mayor John Tory said at an afternoon press conference. "I hope that we will, as a city, remind ourselves of the fact that we are admired around the world for being inclusive and for being accepting and understanding and considerate."

So it looks like we know where this is headed.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/04...-cops-say.html
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I don't see the actual source on MSNBC. I find it odd that the source is named, rather than some generic source. Fake news? Only referred to on media I'm unfamiliar with.

Guys name is Armenian, for what that is worth.
    Bratton's twitter feed has nothing about it... Nothing on MSNBC.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    never mind
    Last edited by SomeOtherGuy; 04-23-18 at 21:10.

Feedback Score
    Was the YouTube shooter Armenian too?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Was the YouTube shooter Armenian too?
    Youtube shooter was Iranian.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    Gun fire would bring it to an end.

I know, from first hand knowledge twice.
    Maybe not apples to apples with your experience, but I can anecdotally confirm that in then one instance I was involved in, that accurate rifle fire does tend to be effective when you need to stop a vehicle.

Feedback Score
    I do like 308 rounds against cars more than 223 rounds

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Breach-Bang-Clear article from summer last year about dealing with/surviving vehicle ramming attacks (VRAs): Link.

And one about how this isn't going to slow down or stop any time soon (even Israel isn't immune): Link.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    But realistically most of us won't have a SBR on us when this kind of thing happens. Better question is what handgun ammo will be useful post-windshield. I'm betting any US-made bonded JHP, like Speer Gold Dot for one example, but will defer to experts.
    From the latter article:

Last, it is almost impossible to quickly stop a vehicle ramming attack. A jihadist in a big truck is basically sitting in a bullet-resistant weapon. It’s not bulletproof, but it’ll provide a lot of protection from pistols, which are the weapons most likely to show up first. Yes, counterterrorist cops in Europe have long guns and many American patrol officers have carbines in their cars, but the chances of someone having a long gun out and ready when a VRA occurs hover between zero and none. If the attack happens in free America, several citizens in the area will likely be armed with concealed pistols, but fire from a pistol against a fast-moving vehicle probably won’t work and could hit bystanders. If the attack happens in NY, California or Europe, I’d be willing to bet about seven million dollars that NOBODY will have a gun, and nobody with a gun will arrive until the attack has gone on for some time. Either way, the chances of Joe Regular Guy stopping the attack, armed or not, aren’t good.

Watch this video, taken the night of the attack in Nice, France. The attack begins at about 00:18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCLtKPxYWYo

If you were armed, could you have stopped that truck? If so, how? You could stand directly in front of it and mag dump into the windshield in front of the driver — shooting at it as it passes will likely have no effect, especially since you’d be shooting upward through the door. But you’d have only seconds to recognize the threat, draw, engage and get the hell out of the way. What’s the likelihood you’d be able to do all that and get a round through the windshield at the right spot, and have that round not lose so much mass and velocity as it goes through the windshield that it becomes ineffective? Maybe that’s not a one-in-a-billion shot, and maybe your response is “So you’re saying there’s a chance,” but I don’t have any realistic expectation that a concealed carrier could take out a truck like that.
    There's more to it than that. But I'm not sure a discussion about handgun ammunition selection to stop a VRA is going to be anything but academic.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast