Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My West Point son back at the Ranch for Spring Break

Feedback Score

My West Point son back at the Ranch for Spring Break

Maybe a little something different for General Discussion. Last month in the middle of March, my 18 year old son was home for Spring Break from the US Military Academy at West Point, New York. This was a week before his 19th birthday. The M1A1 carbine he is holding was a project for him and I from last year. We sourced an unused, serial numbered General Motors Inland receiver with original folding stock, original wood, and various new or near new Inland parts. We sent it off to Fulton Armory and they assembled the thing with one of their Criterion barrels. The result is basically a new M1A1 which shoots like a dream. He is my middle child and second son. We still have a teenage daughter at home. It's hard to believe that in 3 years he'll be an Army 2nd Lieutenant.

He is going to commission as a Military Intelligence officer (most likely) but he will Branch Detail for three years or so Armor. He wants to get practical field experience. By the way, he's a foreign language prodigy; he speaks Spanish, German and Russian fluently, with correct accents and vocal inflections. Also, he's a certified rappelling instructor. I have included some photos below of him rappelling with a JROTC unit in Arizona off of a 170 foot cliff. He is the one rappelling on the left. The second photo show him waiting for the cadet to his right to catch up with him. His mother hates to watch him do this sort of thing. He has been slotted for Air Assault School at Fort Campbell this summer as part of Cadet Summer Training. I have asked him if he was interested in trying out for Ranger school, and he replied that on his monthly APFT, he's scoring between 290 to 295, which is not a perfect 300 or higher. He's says he's not good enough.

Last edited by OH58D; 01-08-19 at 08:05.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Very impressive! Congrats!

I've been trying to teach my wife Russian for years, it ain't easy. I have yet to see an American speak Russian properly, with the right accent. Super impressive!
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    Very impressive! Congrats!

I've been trying to teach my wife Russian for years, it ain't easy. I have yet to see an American speak Russian properly, with the right accent. Super impressive!
    He's in an advanced full Russian immersion course at the USMA where no English is spoken and all writing is done in Russian. It will be interesting to see how the Army will utilize this skill once he commissions?
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It’s said that “Sons are born to trouble their fathers as the sparks fly upward”, but as a father myself, I prefer this (Psalm 127):

3 Children are a heritage from the Lord,
    offspring a reward from him.
    4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
    are children born in one’s youth.
    5 Blessed is the man
    whose quiver is full of them.
    They will not be put to shame
    when they contend with their opponents

Congratulations to both of you.
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    He's in an advanced full Russian immersion course at the USMA where no English is spoken and all writing is done in Russian. It will be interesting to see how the Army will utilize this skill once he commissions?
    It seems that certain sounds are near impossible for Americans/English speakers to pronounce. I've noticed the same trends in every one who attempts to say them. It would be interesting to see how he overcame those. For instance, my wife can't for the life of her say the Russian word for "dust" It's like she is deaf or something, just can't replicate the sound.

When I was nominated to the USNA in 2001 my Blue and Gold officer imparted the distinct impression on me that I would spend my career in the basement of the pentagon translating shit. Same thing happened when I spend the weekend there a couple months prior to the admission date. Everyone I spoke with said the same thing; "You were born in the Soviet Union? You are fluent in Russian? Oh, we have a job for you..." Shit like that. I wanted to fly...
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Congrats dad👍

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Very well done, all around. You should be proud, dad.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's great to be a proud dad. I have two daughters and one son.. all adults now. My son came back to the family business this year and I couldn't be prouder. You've done a great job and I hope your son has a long and illustrious career.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post
    Very well done, all around. You should be proud, dad.
    My wife and I are very proud, but he's still just an overgrown kid, used to the wilds of New Mexico, shooting and riding horses. He still likes to cut loose and have some fun. This past weekend at the Academy, one of his fellow Plebes turned 19. They had a party for him with condoms blown up and used as balloons. It's a balancing act there, pushing the envelope just enough to avoid demerits. So far he has been successful. Good clean fun for young men, working on the Officer & Gentleman part.
    NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    Is that a joke about Ranger School and the physical test?

Really impressive. You should be proud of him.

Rock climbing and rapelling are two things I would have a hard time watching my kid do. I'm always in awe of your lifestyle, even living here in the 'West'.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast