Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lord i hate jogging.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Lord i hate jogging.

Ive pretty much quit jogging all together. Im doing a fast walk while carrying a 45# pack. I know it isnt ideal but good grief jogging sucks.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    What is your goal when jogging? What about rowing? Or short and sweet HIIT?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Things always suck when they're hard and you're bad at them.

Really though, what are your goals? Weighted walks/runs/whatever is a bad carry over from .mil training and shouldn't be repeated in later life unless for a VERY specific goal.

If you want to lose weight fix your diet. Don't get me wrong, if you can't expeditiously move your body mass from point A to point B you probably have a deficiency. I'm not saying people need to be elite marathoners, but if you can't run a 10:00 mile you have a problem.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Switch venues.
    Don't like running? I hate it, too...when I'm on pavement. I ONLY trail run, which is any forgiving dirt/wild surface, flat, mountainous or somewhere in between. Start out with maybe a couple miles and work up slowly from there. Think of it as an accelerated hike with minimal equipment and you'll get more out of it. Don't worry about times, cadence or anything like that. Just focus on where you're placing your feet and how you're avoiding obstacles. Check for things like tree roots, rocks, loose gravel, rattlesnakes, et al. Don't worry about turning out slower miles, because you need to be aware of your surroundings. When you become more capable/confident, challenge yourself to run more aggressively and try more hills. It's literally the only running I'll bother to do anymore.
    Last edited by PatEgan; 04-24-18 at 22:43.
    Where violence is the local language, be fluent.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I lost the most weight ever at my old job in a warehouse where I walked 10 to over 15 miles per day. I never felt like jogging did much for me other than getting my heart rate up.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The older ive gotten the more i dislike it. I find that hiking with a pack or walking the farm with a pack is less abusive to my old knees. Im 43 with toddlers :-/ so i gotta stay fit. My poor knees have been through the wars (so to speak) between my Army, LEO and days as a farrier they are pretty banged up. So, for me, running/jogging just doesnt provide a benefit in the long term. However, 4 or 5 miles in the woods with a 45 pound pack doesnt seem to cause the same after shock.

Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post

Really though, what are your goals? Weighted walks/runs/whatever is a bad carry over from .mil training and shouldn't be repeated in later life unless for a VERY specific goal.

If you want to lose weight fix your diet. Don't get me wrong, if you can't expeditiously move your body mass from point A to point B you probably have a deficiency. I'm not saying people need to be elite marathoners, but if you can't run a 10:00 mile you have a problem.
    Aint that the truth!!!!!

i hear ya. my ex wife had dual knee replacements and ill say "No" to that as long as possible
    Be of good cheer, you men of Valor.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    If you don't enjoy it and are not getting a benefit, whatever that benefit may be, find something else to do. If you have joint problems I'd knock it off with the weighted pack hiking though. For someone who is 40, 43 doesn't sound all that old.

When I hear someone say jogging, to me that means a very slow light effort run. Something you could carry on a conversation during. The problem is, most people don't have the aerobic conditioning to make this possible. So these long slow runs are beating them up way more than necessary.

If you want to run, and only if you have a desire to and want to improve, I'd suggest doing shorter much faster run/walk intervals.

Feedback Score
    I can tell you from experience that if your knees are farked rucking will only make it worse over time. Speed walks, especially with hills involved, are good exercise with bad knees. It's not "no-impact" but instead "low-impact". It'll still hurt the next day or two but not as much as running or rucking will. I'm 52 now and was told at 45 that I'd need knee replacements by the time I was 50. Can't bring myself to do it, but damn it's uncomfortable most days.

I bike and also do this a couple times a week: http://www.octanefitness.com/home/pr...ro-runner/zr7/ It's the closest "machine" I've ever used to running. It's pricey ($3K), but it's a damn good workout. In fact, it sucks, not from a knee-pain perspective but from a cardio angle.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Dual knee replacements? If you're 43 how old is she?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post

This has been my experience.
    I lost a lot of weight before jogging became even remotely comfortable. I'm just becoming comfortable with HIIT sprints again, but didn't even try until I had my weight and diet somewhat controlled.
    Even still it hurts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast