Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BCM PISTOL BUILD WITH THE NEW SBA3 BRACE!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    ...a heavy buffer can make it appear you are over gassed...
    Not if you know what to look for.

PS- An H2 buffer isn't a heavy buffer. The H2 is about right, if you're using a carbine RE.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Not if you know what to look for.

PS- An H2 buffer isn't a heavy buffer. The H2 is about right, if you're using a carbine RE.
    I aree it about right and I'm pretty sure he doesn't know what to look for or he would not have asked . There is not enough information to really advise him as he may not even have a problem but if it's marking with light loads he might .

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ejection patterns and brass marks on the deflector are unreliable indicators of how an AR is gassed. The best way is a lock back check (to make sure the AR isn't short stroking) and how the recoil feels. If the buffer is bottoming out hard, the AR is over gassed and recoil will be sharper. That's assuming an H or H2 buffer is being used. Carbine buffers are just too light and recoil will often feel sharp even if the gas drive is correct.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    One thing you will learn about AR owners and that is they are as gullible as fisherman buying into the latest best lures making them better fisherman . I have 5 AR lowers and 3 are Anderson 2 are "quality " brands and the only difference between them is Anderson don't charge for the name . I know it doesn't make sense but some times a heavy buffer can make it appear you are over gassed , something to do with the case not being swelled when removed from the chamber so try a lighter buffer and put layers of masking tape over deflector to check for strikes . Also cases can strike the deflector and bounce back to 3 o'clock and make it look like it's not over gassed when it is . WHAT AMMO should be the first question , try some known weak ammo and ck if it locks back on an empty mag .If it bothers you you might have to go adjustable block but it's not in itself a problem because that is why it's there and I would rather brass scuffing over short stroking .

Yep, I have always been happy with anderson lowers. I have a lighter buffer in my m and p sport i can throw in it for experimenting. I like the tape idea. Thanks

Feedback Score
    I aree it about right and I'm pretty sure he doesn't know what to look for or he would not have asked . There is not enough information to really advise him as he may not even have a problem but if it's marking with light loads he might .

Loads were with 55 grain bulk fmjbt seated to 2.25 inches. Im sure COL varies a bit due to the cheap bullets. 23.9-24.1 grains of h335 with br4 primers. Brass trimmed to 1.75.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Ejection patterns and brass marks on the deflector are unreliable indicators of how an AR is gassed. The best way is a lock back check (to make sure the AR isn't short stroking) and how the recoil feels. If the buffer is bottoming out hard, the AR is over gassed and recoil will be sharper. That's assuming an H or H2 buffer is being used. Carbine buffers are just too light and recoil will often feel sharp even if the gas drive is correct.
    Forgive me for my ignorance. What is a lock back check? The bolt does lock back on empty mags.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcmgunfighterohio View Post
    Forgive me for my ignorance. What is a lock back check? The bolt does lock back on empty mags.
    Just what it implies , shoot with empty mag and it should lock back if it doesn't but locks back with the same empty mag when manually cycled it's under gassed - buffer too heavy - gas leak .with adjustable block you can use light buffer and adj block just enough to lock back on empty mag . Some people use light buffer for light and heavy for hot others use middle weight for everything and others use adj block to fine tune . If it's a just for fun gun it's ok to be just a hair more open than lock back but if your life might have to depend on your weapon not short stroking it's best to run open more or lighter buffer . That said I run standard carbine in my .556 carbine and H in my 12 1/2" 16"and 18" ARP 6.8S

Feedback Score
    Just what it implies , shoot with empty mag and it should lock back if it doesn't but locks back with the same empty mag when manually cycled it's under gassed - buffer too heavy - gas leak .with adjustable block you can use light buffer and adj block just enough to lock back on empty mag . Some people use light buffer for light and heavy for hot others use middle weight for everything and others use adj block to fine tune . If it's a just for fun gun it's ok to be just a hair more open than lock back but if your life might have to depend on your weapon not short stroking it's best to run open more or lighter buffer . That said I run standard carbine in my .556 carbine and H in my 12 1/2" 16"and 18" ARP 6.8S

Thanks ozark! The way you explained it makes a lot of sense. I guess I was paying too much attention to the brass strikes on the deflector and not thinking about the actual functionality of the gun. I know how the DI system works on an AR and I was not even applying it to my thought process. Thanks to everyone who gave input so far. Its all been helpful. Im new to the forum and I am glad I joined. Seems like a good batch of folks.
    Last edited by bcmgunfighterohio; 04-26-18 at 08:43.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcmgunfighterohio View Post
    Thanks ozark! The way you explained it makes a lot of sense. I guess I was paying too much attention to the brass strikes on the deflector and not thinking about the actual functionality of the gun. I know how the DI system works on an AR and I was not even applying it to my thought process. Thanks to everyone who gave input so far. Its all been helpful. Im new to the forum and I am glad I joined. Seems like a good batch of folks.
    We don't always agree on everything and some of us get a little long on our explanations but everyone has been really helpful to me .

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Nice pistol. My question is how do you like the sba3? Mine still hasn't arrived and I'm anxious for some info on it. Do you like it? Is it solid? Does it lock up tight when adjusted? Your thoughts please.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast