Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drinking Alcohol May Leave You with a Mouth Full of Bad Bacteria

Feedback Score

Drinking Alcohol May Leave You with a Mouth Full of Bad Bacteria

https://microbiomejournal.biomedcent...168-018-0448-x

Our results, from a large human study of alcohol consumption and the oral microbiome, indicate that alcohol consumption, and heavy drinking in particular, may influence the oral microbiome composition. These findings may have implications for better understanding the potential role that oral bacteria play in alcohol-related diseases.
    We found that alcohol consumption is related to overall oral microbiome community composition and to the abundance of specific oral taxa. Heavy drinking may influence bacterial composition, including potential depletion of beneficial commensal bacteria and increased colonization of potentially pathogenic bacteria. Such changes potentially contribute to alcohol-related diseases, including periodontal disease, head and neck cancer, and digestive tract cancers, but further research is needed to relate alcohol-related composition changes to disease phenotypes. The taxa we have identified can be further investigated to tease out their potential relationship with underlying oral health status and to elucidate their potential role in alcohol-related health consequences. Future studies should also investigate the impact of alcohol drinking on the metagenomic (functional) content of the oral microbiome. Improved understanding of the causes and health impacts of oral dysbiosis can lead to microbiome-targeted approaches for disease prevention.
    My take: So, is it possible to negate or minimize the negative effects by consuming live yogurt cultures or other probiotic products which replenish good bacteria in the mouth after an evening consuming adult beverages?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    https://microbiomejournal.biomedcent...168-018-0448-x

My take: So, is it possible to negate or minimize the negative effects by consuming live yogurt cultures or other probiotic products which replenish good bacteria in the mouth after an evening consuming adult beverages?
    I think your take away is a good safety net.

More importantly. Moderation is key.

I've never been drunk beyond recognition. Worst I ever got was falling down 3 stairs on the porch after drinking 8 beers too quickly at a local baseball game.

But, I still had a good understanding of what was going on around me. Just inhibited.

A few drinks to take the edge and relax on a Friday after a loong week, understandable. Drinking every single night in excess?

Asking for far worse societal problems before, in most cases, severe health issues.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 04-25-18 at 15:45.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    I think your take away is a good safety net.

More importantly. Moderation is key.

I've never been drunk beyond recognition. Worst I ever got was falling down 3 stairs on the porch after drinking 8 beers too quickly at a local baseball game.

But, I still had a good understanding of what was going on around me. Just inhibited.

A few drinks to take the edge and relax on a Friday after a loong week, understandable. Drinking every single night in excess?

Asking for far worse societal problems before, in most cases, severe health issues.
    You raise an important point. "A few beers on the weekend" is my standard as well. Having read the study twice I detect a bias toward evaluating the study in terms of the "everyday" heavy drinker. I'm curious if anyone else read the study that way, or if I erroneously picked up on that.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    That's the exact way I identified the study too.

Unsure if erroneous or not, but it seems focused on that everyday group of individuals.

Nonetheless, this is huge. Even if it means pro-biotic supplements to help balance out a suffering alchoholic, or avoid long term damage as extreme as they claim.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It's way premature to take this kind of thing seriously as something one should work into their lifestyle. It's a terrible study with multiple variable and poor controls. The only conclusion that can realistically be drawn is that more study is needed.

Feedback Score
    If this were true, half the planet would be sick and probably dying. This is extremely hard to believe

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The older I get, the less alcohol interests me.
    I've quit drinking and I'm not regretting it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    It's way premature to take this kind of thing seriously as something one should work into their lifestyle. It's a terrible study with multiple variable and poor controls. The only conclusion that can realistically be drawn is that more study is needed.
    Exactly. Bad oral health due to heavy drinking may only be one symptom of many. Bad diet, bad oral hygiene, smoking...all play a role.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What about people who swish mint flavored straight alcohol for 30 seconds twice every day? I didn't see any control or concern about it. Just drinking = bad.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    What about people who swish mint flavored straight alcohol for 30 seconds twice every day? I didn't see any control or concern about it. Just drinking = bad.
    BINGO! I was waiting for that!

I'm suspicious the "study" was really a clandestine "anti-drinking" junk science project, since mouthwash is very high in alcohol. Good catch. Y'all are thinking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast