Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rosco Bloodline 11.5" barreal gas port ?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Rosco Bloodline 11.5" barreal gas port ?

So I've been trying to get a new Pistol build together and have been slowly picking up all the parts...

Upper Parts list so far:
    Vltor MUR Upper
    DSG Arms BCG
    BCM MCMR 10" forend
    Lantac LowPro .750" Gas block / Carbine Length
    Raptor AXTS Charging Handle

... and decided to give Rosco's 11.5" Bloodline barrel a try. I keep seeing good reviews online about these guys (namely Garand Thumbs reviews among others) and their prices are good. Stock is hard to get so when I finally found the barrel in stock I placed my order. One of the things I though I'd like is the fact they dimple the lower barrel for ease of gas block alignment/install.

I like to test fit and measure all my parts before installing and noticed that the location of the barrel dimple for the gas block was 0.295" which is inline w/spec and perfectly matches my Lantac Gas block. However, when measuring the location of the gas port hole in the barrel it is ~ 0.322" back from the shoulder of the barrel. Do you guys think this will give me any troubles? I know the Gas Block and Tube opening are much larger than the gas port hole and it may not be an issue... but I'd also like to not have any issues after getting this all assembled and test firing it. Hopefully that makes sense. What do you guys think?

Not trying to slander or flame Rosco as they asked me to send the barrel back for inspection after seeing my pics. They also offered a refund or I can wait 2+ more weeks for another barrel to be in stock and ship out to me... which takes another week+ So I'd be looking at nearly another month to get another barrel from them. Not sure it's worth the headache to be honest. :/

Attachment 51740Attachment 51741Attachment 51742Attachment 51740Attachment 51741Attachment 51742
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    No offense man, but this is the type of question you should be asking before hitting the buy button.

Normally, unless one of the members here has pin gauges and an exact model of your barrel, no one will know unless they've reached out to the manufacturer.

I will spend a few minutes with my google-fu, but I can't make any promises

ETA: Your gasblock should have it's port wide enough to encompass that gas port hole in the barrel. But, if the manufacturer wants you to return it, I would.

If they see something wrong in the pics, there probably is something up with it.

ETA: Remember, if you were to add a front handguard cap, that adds. .025. The dimple is set back incase your block sits further back; as in, you're not using the handgurd cap / freefloating.

My Adam Arms block was pushed forward on the dimple by a small amount when I added on the handguard cap and it functions fine. It helps put back pressure, from the dimple and set screws trying to line up, and it holds the handguard cap well. (This was on a Bear Creek Arsenal barrel that was also pre-dimpled.)

YMMV.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 04-26-18 at 10:17.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    No offense man, but this is the type of question you should be asking before hitting the buy button.

Normally, unless one of the members here has pin gauges and an exact model of your barrel, no one will know unless they've reached out to the manufacturer.

I will spend a few minutes with my google-fu, but I can't make any promises

ETA: Your gasblock should have it's port wide enough to encompass that gas port hole in the barrel. But, if the manufacturer wants you to return it, I would.

If they see something wrong in the pics, there probably is something up with it.
    Thanks for the info. I DID ask the manufacturer about the gas port location/specs/etc before "hitting the buy button"... it's also posted several places on their FAQ section. I did research this before buying to make sure my Gas Block, Forend, Barrel, etc... all work together (Not sure if that was a jab at me or not doing my due diligence). This barrel apparently is out of spec and I'm going to send it back. I just wanted some assistance/opinions of others here who have more experience than I do when it comes to AR building.
    Last edited by redsnake; 04-26-18 at 10:18.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I edited my post one more time after your reply, I have a better understanding of your question, after. I assure you though, it wasn't a slap, more along the lines of: "Uh-oh, we see this a lot where we're asked for input from people not doing their diligence."

Overall though, it was a combination of my misunderstanding and the wording.

Hoopefully, though, my last edit will help build on why the dimple may be pushed a littler further back.

After putting all of it together in my mind, I dunno if I would send it back if they claim it's for "inspection". (I know I mentioned otherwise previous, but that was my misunderstanding of your question. Thanks for putting up with me.)

Those like IG may have a much better idea down to the mics, but, for myself, I would assemble and test fire based on my previous experiences with the dimples being further back than the port.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 04-26-18 at 10:27.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    No problem. If the barrel wasn't already dimpled I'd just make sure my gas block was positioned properly and then dimple the bottom of the barrel myself. However since this barrel is already dimpled I think they screwed up... in that the dimple should align w/the gas port on the top of the barrel. I think I'll just send it back and won't be giving anymore of my $$ to Rosco and just try and find another 11.5" barrel for this build.

I guess my main question was whether or not it was critical for the rifle/pistol to function if the gas port hole was not centered under the gas block tube hole... if that makes sense?
    Last edited by redsnake; 04-26-18 at 10:29.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by redsnake View Post
    No problem. If the barrel wasn't already dimpled I'd just make sure my gas block was positioned properly and then dimple the bottom of the barrel myself. However since this barrel is already dimpled I think they screwed up... in that the dimple should align w/the gas port on the top of the barrel. I think I'll just send it back and won't be giving anymore of my $$ to Rosco and just try and find another 11.5" barrel for this build.

I guess my main question was whether or not it was critical for the rifle/pistol to function if the gas port hole was not centered under the gas block tube hole... if that makes sense?
    It will depend on the specs of your block. Based on the differences of almost .025 exactly, I don't know if it really is an error, hopefully they will confirm. But, as a consumer, your comfort is the only piece that matters for higher value purchases. Sounds like Rosco will take good care of your either which way you go.

Nonetheless, I have faith that that small of a difference will be negligible and your gasblock should accommodate that without issue. Souds like most LO-PRO blocks are cut with their inner port hole at 10-32s. Seeing as lantacs are 10/32 set screws, I am inclined to believe your gas block port is as well.

That should be able to handle a .025 fluctuation without issue.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 04-26-18 at 10:39.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    So I heard back f/ a Rosco rep saying that based on the pics it appears the barrel is out of spec. I guess I'll send it back and figure out how to proceed from here. Not sure I want to wait another month +/- to get another barrel from Rosco or just try something different. :/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by redsnake View Post
    So I heard back f/ a Rosco rep saying that based on the pics it appears the barrel is out of spec. I guess I'll send it back and figure out how to proceed from here. Not sure I want to wait another month +/- to get another barrel from Rosco or just try something different. :/
    Keep us updated with what they say is out of spec.

Glad they got back to you quick, best of luck.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks for the info. I'll update when the barrel gets back to Rosco. I was able to swing by my favorite local GS on my lunch break today and he had a Ballistic Advantage 10.3" SS barrel in .223 Wylde w/gas block installed so I picked that up. I've read good things about their barrels but have zero experience with them. Hopefully this works out to my satisfaction this go around. I'd have preferred a 11.5" but nobody seems to have them in stock or they're quite a bit more $$ than I have in my current budget to buy.
    Last edited by redsnake; 04-26-18 at 12:48.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Subbed. Just put my Rosco 11.5" barrel on hand tight. Will have to double check it now....thanks for the heads up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast