Thread: Just That Quick, I Had a Non-Functioning AR

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Just That Quick, I Had a Non-Functioning AR

Ask just about anyone and they'll tell you that assembling an AR is as simple as snapping together a Lego kit. But what they don't tell you, one moment of inattention and you've got an AR that doesn't work and a key part possibly destroyed.

Today, I got a package from Brownell's containing shims, screws, a couple bottles of Loctite but most importantly to me, a new pistol grip I wanted to try. I took my box of goodies down to my workshop, thinking the biggest challenge before me was deciding which AR I wanted to install the new grip on...

...until just that quick, in a moment of inattention and complacency, I started the screw crooked and damaged the threads in a top drawer lower. Just that quick. I am an experienced technician. I install bolts, screws and nuts on aircraft assemblies on a daily basis, often in difficult locations without cross threading anything. But now I had damaged the threads to the point where I could not get the grip screw to start straight at all. Fortunately, I was able to file a taper on the starting threads of a spare screw and was able to use it to clean up the threads I damaged. Another way to clean up the damaged threads would be to remove the fire control group and carefully thread a long screw from the top down. In this case, the damage was minimal and I was able to install the grip. But, if I had damaged the threads beyond repair, my AR would have been down until I could get a new lower, or installed a Helicoil.

This incident reminded me of a lesson I learned long ago which I will apply to ARs. ARs are easy to assemble. Until they aren't. ARs are not that complicated to assemble. They are simple machines, once you understand them. But, before assembling, take a moment and clear your mind of all distractions and get focused on the task you're about to tackle. Because just that quick, you can find yourself holding a damaged part wondering if you'll be able to fix it. Keep that in mind next time someone tells you ARs are as simple as Legos.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 04-28-18 at 02:25.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Don’t attempt an AK then.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    Thanks for putting ego aside and admitting "stuff happens " . As a mechanic for 45 years I can testify screw ups like the one you describe usually happens on easy tasks a monkey can do . Any one who has snide remarks about it have never done anything or they are liars if they say they have not screwed up .

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    As a technician in the automotive field I can attest that we've all been there at least once. The best thing is that you able to quickly repair your threads and Charlie Mike.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Details, man. A guitar amplifier can kill you deader'n hell without knowing it. We all have these kinds of lessons tucked away for future reference. Experience is the best teacher and will always f**k with the know-it-alls!
    Last edited by Joelski; 04-28-18 at 09:21.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Can

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    VIOLENCE OF ACTION..........DON'T HESITATE.

Feedback Score
    As a technician myself I can attest to this just as much.... everything is easy when you are use to it until it’s not... so long as it’s fixed right & no corners were cut to undo the damage it’s a good day... kudos on sharing what you messed up.... things happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Your excitement reminds me of opening Christmas presents on Christmas morning. I think everyone has experienced being that kid opening up a presents so hastily that they injured the puppy inside. Thank goodness it (the lower) survived!