Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scar or not to Scar?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    That looks like a expensive SCAR H with a cr@p ton of expensive aftermarket parts added. Did it cost more than a SR-25?
    Seems unlikely to be more costly than one of the new SR-25s, given that the only major aftermarket part I could see is the KDG MREX.

For the money, there really any close to the SCAR-17S on the civilian market. The LMT MWS comes the closest, but is a full pound heavier, even with the lightweight barrel package. The Daniel Defense DD5 remains fairly untested. The KAC E2 CC is a good 1.5k USD more, comparing MSRPs.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Seems unlikely to be more costly than one of the new SR-25s, given that the only major aftermarket part I could see is the KDG MREX.

For the money, there really any close to the SCAR-17S on the civilian market. The LMT MWS comes the closest, but is a full pound heavier, even with the lightweight barrel package. The Daniel Defense DD5 remains fairly untested. The KAC E2 CC is a good 1.5k USD more, comparing MSRPs.
    Hi

The Kahles K16i with the Tenebreax ARD, the Tenebreax Ocular- and lensecover, The SPUHR 3046 QD Mount, the Surefire M720V, the Atlas BT10, the KDG MREX rail, as well as the KDG Kinekt MLOK quick detach rail section is pretty expensive. Plus I'm from Switzerland so for me all that stuff is even more expensive.
    Last edited by Scarlover01; 04-29-18 at 15:25.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've got two SCAR 16s and two SCAR 17s. I have the 17s for a different reason than the 16s. The 17s are really a great all around battle rifle. I don't do mods to them other than adding the Parker Mountain machine rear QD sling mounts, MI replacement front rails (for their built in QD sling mounts), and Geissele Super SCAR trigger in all of them. I do not use extended rails.

SCAR 17---

People complain the SCAR 17 is too expensive...in 2018 they are a bargain compared to other military grade .308 battle rifles. I've had them for quite a few years now, I think I bought the first one in 2011.

I love the way the 17 shoots. For a .308 recoil seems very reasonable if you keep the stock muzzle device. I've never tried it, but I've heard it is sharper without compensation.

If you don't add a big front rail on your 17 it will stay well balanced and light. I did put a Magpul AFG on the 17s that's it.

My 17s have been very accurate right out of the box, with 1 MOA or less with match ammo. My SCAR 17s seem to love FGMM 168gr. 168gr seems to be the SCAR 17's favorite bullet weight, so American Eagle 168gr OTM (also Federal) shoots the same as FGMM 168gr.

I don't shoot FGMM all the time or I'd be living on the street. The 17 shoots M80 ball well too considering it is not match ammo.

Reliability has been perfect for me. I've never had a single misfeed, ejection problem, or any kind of malfunction with either 17, period, not once, but I only run full power brass cased ammo.

SCAR 16 ---

I bought my first SCAR 16 in 2009 or 2010. I LOVE the way they shoot. They run like a well lubed sewing machine. I like the folding stock and the G trigger. I added the same pieces to the 16s as the 17s. G trigger, PMM rear QD, MI front replacement rails, that's it. Oh, I did put a rail cover on the bottom rail of the 16s instead of the AFG on the 17s.

I like the reciprocating CH for the ability to control the BCG directly, I hate it when I got my thumb whacked. Seems to happen after I get lazy shooting my ARs from the bench.

SCARs are extremely reliable, but so are properly built and maintained ARs. I prefer the way the SCAR shoots over an AR, and I like clean running habits of the SCAR, but I prefer the longer rails and cheaper spare parts of an AR. Of course I haven't had to replace a part on my SCARs yet.

The SCAR seems to eat anything I put into it, but I only shoot brass cased ammo. I had one magazine go bad on me and create a malfunction while shooting the SCAR 16, and once I had the rifle in supressor mode with no suppressor and got a couple malfs until I figured it out.

I consider my SCARs and some of my ARs to be GO TO.... I like both SCARs and ARs.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 04-29-18 at 16:54.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I finally gave in and bought a SCAR 17S. The reason I liked it is weight, accuracy,design,reliability, and customization. Most of this can be said about a good AR, I get that. I shot a buddy's and decided I had to have one. The worst part about them is price, proprietary magazines, stock trigger and did i mention price… But they do work, and the recoil is very minimal. The only issue is you better put good glass on it because the 17S will bust cheaper scopes.
    Owner of Carolina Laser Works
    https://carolinalaserworks.ecwid.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlover01 View Post
    Hi

The Kahles K16i with the Tenebreax ARD, the Tenebreax Ocular- and lensecover, The SPUHR 3046 QD Mount, the Surefire M720V, the Atlas BT10, the KDG MREX rail, as well as the KDG Kinekt MLOK quick detach rail section is pretty expensive. Plus I'm from Switzerland so for me all that stuff is even more expensive.

Very cool, did not realize you are Swiss. You need a B&T Rotex II can for that rifle.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlover01 View Post
    Sure, but those aren't aftermarket parts, those are just accessories. Overall, your gun is pricier than a bare KAC SR-25, but it's not a fair comparison at all, given that you can put all those things on the KAC, too; with just the KDG handguard, the SCAR 17S remains substantially cheaper than the KAC. My only point is that the SCAR 17S is an excellent semi-auto alternative to the large frame ARs when you're just sticking with 7.62×51mm/.308 Win, as it has advantages over large frame ARs at its price point, while being cheaper than the SR-25s.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 04-29-18 at 18:02.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Fantastic rifles. My SCAR-17 is the only "do-all" gun I would seriously consider if I had to give up all my other rifles. The only thing it "needs" is a lighter trigger. For the first six or so months I had mine I considered selling it because I was getting pretty mediocre accuracy. I even put it up for sale. Then I saw a sale on Geiselie triggers and decided what the Hell. Totally changed the gun. It went from being a lightweight G-3/FAL replacement to something that had accuracy bordering on a bolt gun. I run mine with a Surefire SOCOM and it just keeps on chugging without any of the reliability issues of specialty semi-auto .308s.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Very cool, did not realize you are Swiss. You need a Rolex.
    FIFY.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    FIFY.

Hahahaha. Thank you.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Of the two, the SCAR 17 is the must have in my book.

Lightweight, easy to suppress, easy to SBR, accurate, reliable with far less TLC / lube than other EBRs. To me it's the modern 'battle rifle'.

Same goes for the SCAR 16, except it's not as lightweight as a comparable AR. A well built AR15 is gonna cost a good deal less, so while I like mine it isn't a must have. But mine isn't going anywhere.

For the prices I paid new ($2400 / $2075), I would do it again. For current prices, I'm not sure if I would.

Of course there will be haters, it's the internet after all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast