Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for truth behind Federals HST 124+p

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran-USMC View Post
    Gentlemen:

I own an H&K VP9 and looking for a proven 9mm round for home defense. The round I am considering is Federals HST 124+p! For many years South Bend, Indiana police used Corbons 40 caliber 135gr. with outstanding
    results. I have read that South Bend is using Federals 124+9 9mm with similar results as the Corbon 40 cal. 135gr.. Please note that my shooting skills are very good --I just want to have a darn good ammo to up my chances of living another day. Does anyone have any knowledge on police depts. using Federals HST 124+p and the results the police are having with this ammo?

Other ammo suggestions are invited.
    Thank-you for your time & attention

SEMPER FI!
    Last time I took a HSP D3 Vehicle Darkness Course we did bullet testing thru the windshields of the cars I had gotten for the class (I was hosting). Everyone got to test their carry ammo of choice thru it with a target directly at the front of the vehicle. Of all the various carry ammo tested, Corbon's 115gr all copper bullet (can't remember the official name) did the best with the least amount of divation thru the windshield. 124gr HST and 124gr Speer Gold Dot tied. What I'm referring to here is those bullets had the least amount of POA/POI shift when traveling thru the glass. The WORST performer was Hornady Critical Duty and Critical Defense ammo. The target was literally 4ft away and didn't even touch the cardboard.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wtm75 View Post
    This is true and quite honestly, people do the same here. The average cop shoots a suspect 1.5 times in a 20 year career. He repeats what he's heard from the Chief and from whatever his partner read on a forum too. Then someone else here repeats what the cop said as if just being a cop makes you an expert ballistician.

Test your own ammo folks.
    Last I read from DOJ the percentage of officers that shoot someone in a career is around 4 percent.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Last I read from DOJ the percentage of officers that shoot someone in a career is around 4 percent.
    That number makes more sense. My PD close friend said the same guys use their ammo alottment each month and the other guys shoot one week before qualifying.

I would be in the first group.

Everybody has their own life.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    Last time I took a HSP D3 Vehicle Darkness Course we did bullet testing thru the windshields of the cars I had gotten for the class (I was hosting). Everyone got to test their carry ammo of choice thru it with a target directly at the front of the vehicle. Of all the various carry ammo tested, Corbon's 115gr all copper bullet (can't remember the official name) did the best with the least amount of divation thru the windshield. 124gr HST and 124gr Speer Gold Dot tied. What I'm referring to here is those bullets had the least amount of POA/POI shift when traveling thru the glass. The WORST performer was Hornady Critical Duty and Critical Defense ammo. The target was literally 4ft away and didn't even touch the cardboard.
    That's interesting. My experience was the opposite with the 135gr critical duty rounds displaying quite a bit less deviation than the 147gr and 124gr gold dot. Standard ball displayed the most deviation and most inconsistencies. Granted, it was also what was shot through the windshields the most. The sample size of duty ammo fired was pitifully small in each instance.

I think there is just too many variables when it comes to POI through a windshield. Bullets do weird shit when they hit hard items. If glass is a concern, picking a projectile that holds up well in the FBI windshield test is probably your best bet, make a hole, then shoot through it.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I got to do some extensive auto glass testing and there are way too many variables unless all are tested equal- same model of car and year, same angle.... you are correct in making a hole and shooting through it.
    the HST 124 + P is a very effective and proven round.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Has anyone here tried the HST 150gr yet? I've seen it at a few different Academy stores in my area and I've been curious how others think it compares to the other HST loads.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    Has anyone here tried the HST 150gr yet? I've seen it at a few different Academy stores in my area and I've been curious how others think it compares to the other HST loads.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYTd1lNx_TQ
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I bought stacks of 124 GD +P 53617 for a G19 I no longer own. For my G17 and numerous rolled 9mm SIGs I've moved towards standard pressure 53618 GD or P9HST1 FC. 45 for rolled SIGs is 230 GD 53966 or standard pressure HST (not there yet). I don't think you can go wrong with either GD or HST, standard or +P.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I do not buy or use Hornady ammo.
    EVERY time Ive sat down to chrono their ammo- it was always a good bit lower than advertised, and none of it was ever as accurate as Federal HST or Speer GD.
    HST +P 124gr is all I use now, Speer 124+P GD a back up.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Nothing wrong with it at all. My wife's Glock 43 is loaded with the 124gr +P HST.

My personal preference in 9mm is the 147gr +P HST. I have it in my Glock 19's, Kahr PM9, and Walther PPS M2.

Again, nothing wrong with the 124gr +P version.
    Though the terminal ballistics may be no better (can even be worse...) and the added recoil and ware on the gun not worth it. Do we have a comparison of the +P vs non terminal ballistics testing? Also:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...s-standard-HST
    Last edited by WillBrink; 10-20-18 at 16:27.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast