Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on training with your carry gun?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Thoughts on training with your carry gun?

So obviously if you carry daily or close to it, it's important to train with your carry gun. I'm curious about how people approach this; train with the actual gun you carry and have a strict regimen of replacing parts or have second copy of your carry gun and train with that?

The follow up question if you go with door number 1 is, what intervals do you replace parts? Or how much earlier than the regular intervals?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I initially trained with my carry gun (Gen 3 G19), but eventually transitioned it to my range gun and bought an identical, but newer carry gun.

When I was training with my carry gun I tried to replace the RSA every 2,500 rounds or so. I replaced the extractor and every spring in the gun at 10,000 rounds. Somewhere between 10,000 and 20,000 I decided I should probably invest in a separate carry gun that didn't see much range use.
    Last edited by William B.; 05-01-18 at 07:14.

Feedback Score
    Recoil spring, trigger return spring, extractor & spring, mag spring & follower is what I would replace or keep an eye on. If you have a hiccup and it's been a few thousand rounds, I'd swap out the associated parts.

Feedback Score
    Since I retired I have yet to wear out a pistol. As a result of this, I see no problem in practicing with my carry pistol as long I replace parts before they break.

I have a Glock with 90,000 plus rounds through it and other than normal replacement of springs, it is still running strong.

I currently carry a CGW CZ P07, they have told me of an other client that has over 100,000 rounds through his P7 with zero issues.

I do how ever use a Ruger 22 pistol to work on the basics, since a 22 makes smaller holes it keeps me more honest with myself.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Gold standard- After verifying function and reliability with your carry gun, use a copy for practice. Best for hard shooters who will put thousands through their gun a year, and those using economy or less trustworthy models.

For everyone else, perform user level checks regularly, armorer/gunsmith inspections annually-ish, PM with OEM parts at or before manufacturer suggested intervals.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I train with my duty gun all the time. Having destroyed a Glock 23 due to poor PM I am almost paranoid. I’m about 3k over the suggested recoil spring replacement and they keep saying it’s still good.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I used to train with my carry gun when I was carrying HK P30. HKs are bombproof, right? Then I had trigger return spring break after 5K rounds during a match, must've been fluke, right? Then it happened again at 5K.
    Turned out I was dry firing enough to matter for wear and tear. These days I use at least two guns, sometimes three (carry, live practice, dry fire).

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I used to train with my carry gun when I was carrying HK P30. HKs are bombproof, right? Then I had trigger return spring break after 5K rounds during a match, must've been fluke, right? Then it happened again at 5K.
    Turned out I was dry firing enough to matter for wear and tear. These days I use at least two guns, sometimes three (carry, live practice, dry fire).
    Out of curiosity; which TRS were you using (V1 or V2 if LEM)?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    V2 / heavy spring.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    V2 / heavy spring.
    Interesting. I've been told multiple times now that the V1/ light TRS is supposedly stronger and is best to avoid this weak point of the HK design. This always seemed odd to me given that the V2 is thicker but it's a different coil geometry.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast