Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on training with your carry gun?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilles11B View Post
    I’m a big fan of using a .22 pistol for practicing the fundamentals. I’ve found that putting good work on the .22 makes for more productive training on the carry pistol.
    Remember that you're practicing the fundamentals of shooting a .22. Grip, recoil control, sight tracking, cadence, timing, etc are not the same. It's the difference between shooting, and really shooting...as in running the gun. It's rare I use .22s for even new shooters anymore, much less remediation.

I do find that I get a lot of trigger control benefit out of shooting my J-frames. Strong crossover from the J to everything else.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Remember that you're practicing the fundamentals of shooting a .22. Grip, recoil control, sight tracking, cadence, timing, etc are not the same. It's the difference between shooting, and really shooting...as in running the gun. It's rare I use .22s for even new shooters anymore, much less remediation.

I do find that I get a lot of trigger control benefit out of shooting my J-frames. Strong crossover from the J to everything else.
    Have to say I feel the same way about .22's as a trainer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would like to settle on one gun and buy dozens. So I've used G19 for this so far. I do RSA PM and have spare parts and always a spare G19 near by. At this time, I shoot and carry the same (I dry fire 3-4 times a week but only put 100 rds or so through) but have yet to have anything break...
    I shoot a few guns a little bit better so the kids are getting the G19s. I may end up with 17/34 or 19x. Heck, my first full mag through my buddies full size m&p 9 at 5 steps was the only one hole group I've ever fired at any distance. And was good looking even at distance (at least for me, I was hitting steel at 25 faster than with other guns.) As much as I like glocks, maybe that's a sign.

Feedback Score
    Pistols ( actually guns in general) are amazingly durable. I see no need for a spare identical trainer gun nor the somewhat paranoid approach to replacing parts at given intervals. Proper care ( which is not defined as white glove inspection. Cleaning) keeping an eye out for issues is more than sufficient. Yes it is a mechanical device and can fail, but the chances are incredibly small.
    Any practice is good practice regardless of caliber. I don’t believe if I go on a binge shooting my 19,26.1911 or revolver it diminishes my ability to perform with my primary carry a Glock 42, which I also practice frequently with.

Feedback Score
    So my question for everyone that thinks using a 22 has no bearing, do you dry fire?

Using your logic all dry firing will teach you is how to dry fire and have no bearing on your carry pistol shooting and we know that isn't true.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    So my question for everyone that thinks using a 22 has no bearing, do you dry fire?

Using your logic all dry firing will teach you is how to dry fire and have no bearing on your carry pistol shooting and we know that isn't true.
    I would say 22 trainer teaches trigger pull and sight alignment, similar to dry fire with better feedback, similar to an rmr.
    Its not the same as live fire with a duty caliber, there is no substitute for learning recoil control ime.
    It all cones down to: are you training one or two aspects, or everything together?

For the OP, I practice on my carry gun and track rounds for PMs
    Last edited by MegademiC; 05-02-18 at 19:11.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAVDOC View Post
    Pistols ( actually guns in general) are amazingly durable. I see no need for a spare identical trainer gun nor the somewhat paranoid approach to replacing parts at given intervals. Proper care ( which is not defined as white glove inspection. Cleaning) keeping an eye out for issues is more than sufficient. Yes it is a mechanical device and can fail, but the chances are incredibly small.
    Any practice is good practice regardless of caliber. I don’t believe if I go on a binge shooting my 19,26.1911 or revolver it diminishes my ability to perform with my primary carry a Glock 42, which I also practice frequently with.
    Perhaps, but one of my buddies carries a Colt .45 Defender in the Big City. He shoots it a lot at the range, many times a year for years. One day, the extractor blows out of it. At the range it was an annoyance. If it had happened when he was beset by thugz, he might have been an object of the Medical Examiner's inspection.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post

I don't dryfire much personally. I don't shoot .22 pistols for two reasons, first I sold all my .22 guns when I got tired of looking for ammo when it was scarce; second is I prefer practicing with the caliber I carry for the most part. Sometimes I practice with .45 because I feel like it makes me slow down and focus more on the fundamentals.

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    For the OP, I practice on my carry gun and track rounds for PMs
    I track rounds also, seems like the smart thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Perhaps, but one of my buddies carries a Colt .45 Defender in the Big City. He shoots it a lot at the range, many times a year for years. One day, the extractor blows out of it. At the range it was an annoyance. If it had happened when he was beset by thugz, he might have been an object of the Medical Examiner's inspection.
    This kind of thing is my concern. Murphy is always just around the corner and I feel like I need to do my part to reduces the odds of such an event.

Feedback Score
    I want to be clear working with a 22, does not replace shooting with your carry gun. When I shoot my carry gun I don't shoot junk ammo I shoot ammo that mirrors recoil of my carry ammo.

Feedback Score
    You know those carbines and pistols people carry into combat?

The ones they have shot and trained a ton with?
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast