Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about VX-R Patrol

Feedback Score

Question about VX-R Patrol

I’ve been thinking of picking up one of these, but I have a few questions. I will be using it for a hunting scope but I’m wondering how easy it is for the turrets to spin in a case or while going through brush? How good is the optical clarity? Any other concerns I should be considering? I suppose I could go with the capped VX-R models but I like the TMR reticle and the patrols are currently on sale in a few places. My biggest concern is definitely the turrets though, no one wants to miss a deer because of bumped turrets. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retired Army Infantry

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhnut1973 View Post
    I’ve been thinking of picking up one of these, but I have a few questions. I will be using it for a hunting scope but I’m wondering how easy it is for the turrets to spin in a case or while going through brush? How good is the optical clarity? Any other concerns I should be considering? I suppose I could go with the capped VX-R models but I like the TMR reticle and the patrols are currently on sale in a few places. My biggest concern is definitely the turrets though, no one wants to miss a deer because of bumped turrets. Thanks.

I put a strap of electrical tape around my knobs to keep them in place. Overall, I like the scope and it works well for my uses.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The clarity is pretty good

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    I put a strap of electrical tape around my knobs to keep them in place. Overall, I like the scope and it works well for my uses.
    Thanks, I had thought of using tape as well. Do you use it for huntin?

Quote Originally Posted by 81mmcat View Post
    The clarity is pretty good
    I found one locally to look through today. I agree the clarity is pretty good, but as I had heard, the turrets turn easily. I am familiar with the TMR reticle from my military days and I like it. The pricing is pretty good online right now so I may get one and tape the turrets as recommended.

Retired Army Infantry

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhnut1973 View Post
    I found one locally to look through today. I agree the clarity is pretty good, but as I had heard, the turrets turn easily. I am familiar with the TMR reticle from my military days and I like it. The pricing is pretty good online right now so I may get one and tape the turrets as recommended.

What rifle and caliber?? What are you hunting? If you have to tape exposed turrets you don't need them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    What rifle and caliber?? What are you hunting? If you have to tape exposed turrets you don't need them.
    I plan to put it on my Rem 700 in 7mm-08 most likely or maybe an AR in 6.5 Grendel, I’m not sure yet. I will be huntin deer, hogs and maybe coyotes. I agree taping the turrets is a bit of a PITA, but there are good deals on them right now and the capped models don’t have the TMR reticle that I like.

Retired Army Infantry

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I haven't had mine turn accidentally yet, but I read on the Internet that it has happened. The turrets are easier to turn than those on my other scopes with exposed turrets. I personally wouldn't tape them. When removing the rifle from the case, it should be simple to look at the turrets to confirm that they are zeroed. I'd be surprised if brush or branches caused them to rotate. Again, if you rub something against the scope hard enough to potentially turn a turret, a quick glance is all that's required.

The optics are a good as my old VX-3s and brand new VX-3i 4.5-14 x 40s. I haven't compared it directly against the Viper PST yet.

I've only had the VX-3i for less than a week, but I think I'm going to really like the Varmint Hunters reticle. I agree that the TMR reticle is thicker than it needs to be, and adjustable parallax would also be nice to have.
    Last edited by grizzman; 05-01-18 at 18:17.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I had the 1.25-4X variant. Glass was pretty good, illumination adjustment was clumsy, but the dot daylight bright. Reticle was a bit too thick for my taste but usable. I had my turrets move once or twice in the case, but tape would probably be enough to keep it from moving. Overall liked the optic though, enough that I've been looking at these 3-9X TMR deals too!

Feedback Score
    I use one in two gun matches. It has gotten banged around but it holds zero, glass seems good with my limited experience. I haven't had a problem with turrets moving as of yet. Reticle is a little thick as previously mentioned but it is fast at acquiring targets. I also have no problem shooting both eyes open on 1.25 and the dot is daylight bright. I am upgrading soon but so far have been more than happy with it.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    1.25x isn't bad until you use a scope with as close to 1.0x as possible.

Is 1.25/1.5x doable? Sure.

Is 1.0x low end better? Abso-fracking-lootly.

And personally I despise exposed turrets on a 1-4/1-6 scope. There is no reason for them, other than they can get bumped and frack up your zero.

Capped is how I roll.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast