Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about VX-R Patrol

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    He is talking about the TMR reticle, so I think he is looking at the 3x9 patrol.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    He is talking about the TMR reticle, so I think he is looking at the 3x9 patrol.
    I was looking at the patrol in 3-9 or 4-12 but the turrets move too easily for my tastes. Now I’m between the capped VXR, the VX 3i, or I might even go with a VX 5 HD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retired Army Infantry

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I put the VX-3i on a 308 AR and used it last weekend, and yep, I like the Varmint Hunters reticle as much as I'd anticipated. My hunting bolt guns all have basic duplex reticles, and within hunting distances it works out fine.

I'd personally rather have the side focus of the VX-3i than the illuminated reticle of the VX-R for hunting.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a VX-R.

The "1.25" low power bothers me. I regret the purchase based on this. While listed as 1.25x its significantly more than my old 1.5x ACOG. Some ones lying, I think both companies. Good on Trijicon as listing htier magnification as more than it actually is, Leopold can go F them selves for advertising lower mag than it really is.

I have two Leopold VX-6 1-6. The 1x is great on these. Both had assembly issues from the factory.

Glass on all them is very nice for the money.

Overall based on my three scope experience out side of glass clarity I'n not particularly impressed by Leupold as a company overall. I think they make some great glass, I don't think they put together a great scope.

I own a number of Aimpoint, Nightforce and Trijicon scopes. I can't say anything bad about any of them, I feel I got a better value out of those more expensive companies.

My next two scopes are a Trijicon Accupower 1-8x and a Nightforce NX8 1-8. I don't ever see myself buying another luepold product.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My experience is from the 1.25-4x Patrol which I ended up selling and replacing with the VXR Hog.

The glass clarity, weight, and dot brightness are great. The motion sensor is handy, but mixed opinion on the push button activation. Much prefer a knob with off settings in between levels.

The non locking turrets with coarse knurling was my only gripe and why I switched to the Hog model. Way too easy to get moved from brushing against something such as a vehicle seat or even the rubber band on a bikini cover when removing. I reduced the frequency of that by putting some clear heat shrink wrapping on the turrets to make them slick and keeping a neoprene scope coat on it when transporting, but never completely eliminated it.

Feedback Score
    Well I found a pretty decent deal on a VXR so I ordered one. Since this is to be used for deer and hog hunting in the east I went with the capped 3-9x40 firedot duplex. I feel the firedot will be more useful at dusk and dawn than any benefits of the side focus of the VX-3i I was also considering. I know the VXR probably doesn’t have the glass that the VX-5 hd, but it should be a step up from my current VX-2.

Retired Army Infantry

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think you will be happy with the VXR and the illumination setup is pretty slick.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have had the 3x9 vxr patrol for several years. The glass is very nice and the firedot reticle comes in handy.

I would recommend it, I have never experienced the caps moving before, but I'll deffinetly be keeping an eye on them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the opinions and recommendations for the Leupold VX-R line of scopes. I finally got mine out to the range and it’s a fine scope. The glass is clear and the illumination works well. I don’t mind the push button illumination controls at all.

This scope will be used for hunting and I will use the illumination sparingly anyway. The VX-R has a nice duplex that’s not too thick and not too thin in low light. My Viper PST is a good scope but it has a thin reticle that’s hard to see early and late without the lighted reticle.

Anyway, I’m very happy with the VX-R and the Leupold steel rings and mounts I’m using. Can’t wait to get out to the field and put it to use. Thanks again.

Retired Army Infantry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12