Thread: Walther PPQ .45 - Who's Got One?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Walther PPQ .45 - Who's Got One?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of feedback out there on it. Anyone own one? Thoughts? I've tried just about every other polymer .45 (except the 320) and haven't found one I like. I've owned P99s in the past and they were great guns, but I always went back to a G19. That's not the case with the 21 or 30 for me.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I don’t own one but have handled one a lot. It’s nice over all except one thing. It balances like a Hi Point. The PPQ already has a fairly high bore axis for polymer gun and the extra weight of the slide throws the balance off for me and it’s the only reason I don’t own one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You will not find a more size efficient or comfortable shooting 12+1 45 ACP than the PPQ45. Mine has been accurate, reliable and in my hands, points naturally. My three criticisms are plastic sights, action spring feels a bit weak and it does not have the lever style mag release. I can, however, reach the button mag release with my thumb without shifting my grip. When I can shake loose a few bucks, I'll be looking for a stiffer action spring.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 05-02-18 at 14:51.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    I have one and love it. I will ditto everything MistWolf said.
    I added the Apex Tactical trigger and that is well worth the money. It is straight drop in and gives that "glass rod breaking" feel. It is as good as my pet Colt Combat Masterpiece with Ed Brown internals hand fitted by a very good 1911 smith. That's saying something.
    I also replaced the trigger spring with one that is just a bit heavier, so my trigger pull increased 0.75-1 pound. That's just personal preference. I wish someone would offer a trigger spring set for Walthers, as it is very simple to change springs and thereby the trigger pull. NOTE- the 45 trigger spring is a different length than the the 9 or 40.
    I added an Ameriglo Glock Pro Go front sight. "How To" is on Walther forum; it involved use of a small washer. I have this set up on a 9mm PPQ for years, and after regular carry still had no problem.
    The ergos of the 45 Walther PPQ are the best fit to my hand of any 45 striker I have handled, and I have handled most.

Feedback Score
    I'm also very interested in this. Not that I'm in the market anytime soon, but I've been casually keeping an eye out for a modern .45 pistol. The ones I have in mind are the PPQ 45, USP, P320, and the M&P.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Both I and my wife have one and love it. I used to own a Glock 21 (45ACP), but the grip was too large for me to control the pistol as well as I liked. While I like the lower bore axis of the Glock pistols (I own a Glock 20 and Glock 34), I find that I cannot maintain as much of a grip on them during shooting. I am willing to accept the high bore axis of the PPQs in order to get the great ergos of the grip.

I agree with the comments offered by MistWolf and LDM. The Walther PPQ45 fits my hand like a glove.

I have not altered triggers in any of my Walthers, so I cannot comment on whether that is a needed/worthwhile modification. I have replaced the sights on a couple of my Walthers. The stock sights are serviceable, but could be better. One modification I plan to make to my PPQ45 is adding a Talon grip. I added Talon grips to my 9mm PPQs because the grip texture did not provide as much friction as I would like to ensure the gun did not move around during rapid shooting (but the grip shape is perfect for me). The Talon grips have worked well for me.

If Walther ever offers a PPQ45 model with the paddle magazine release, I will probably add one of those to my collection.

Is there a modern .45 pistol that is better than the PPQ45? I cannot imagine one.

Feedback Score
    I had one for 6 months. It was wonderfully accurate, had great ergonomics, and ran about 500 rounds flawlessly. It was a really solid gun.

But alas, I could not get past the trigger. It was simply too light for me. It i’d wanted a hunting/target gun, I’d have kept it.

Sorry, I’m a “crappy stock Glock trigger shooter”. I replaced it with a G21, which is working well for me. But truth be told, it’s not nearly as sweet a shooter...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post
    If Walther ever offers a PPQ45 model with the paddle magazine release, I will probably add one of those to my collection.
    I would buy two.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I would buy two.
    I would definitely prefer the paddle release. It's one of the reasons I have a VP9sk.