Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock slide will not go back on frame

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Glock slide will not go back on frame

Bought a Gen 5 17 a couple weeks ago, took it home, disassembled it to inspect, all good.

While sliding the slide back on, it would stop just before completion. I tried to slide it back on what seemed like 50 times before eventually getting the slide completely locked up on the rails, half on half off. Now i couldn’t remove the slide at all.

Furious, I drove to a local gunsmith, he was able to pop the slide of in about 10 seconds. He then tried to reassemble it and had the same issue I did. He said it shouldn’t be doing that and offered to try to figure it out but it’ll be 3 weeks. I said hell no I just bought this thing today, if it’s jacked up it’s going right back to Glock.

So I took it back to the gun store. Told them the issue, said it needs to go back to Glock. They off course take a look at it, disassemble and reassemble it the first try and make me look like a total idiot. They then repeated the process a few more times.

I said give me that damn thing. So I tried it and it went back on without an issue. I stood there and repeated the process about 20 times in a row just to make sure before I left again with zero problems. I said whatever maybe it all was just too tight or something. Went home, racked the slide a fair amount, disassembled and reassembled a few more times and everything went fine.

Fired its first 200 rounds yesterday. Today I cleaned and lubed it and upon reassembly, its doing the same damn thing again getting hung up.

It stops right here and won’t go any further.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by parishioner; 09-22-18 at 17:16.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nevermind.

I depressed the firing pin safety and pushed the firing pin forward and it goes on fine. What the heck I don’t remember ever having to do to that with my Gen 3 and I’m not sure how it’s happening if I’m pulling the trigger initially to remove the slide.
    Last edited by parishioner; 09-22-18 at 20:36.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nothing you posted contains any useful information with which to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by parishioner View Post
    Bought a Gen 5 17 a couple weeks ago, took it home, disassembled it to inspect, all good.
    What does this mean?
    What is your experience with firearms?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Nothing you posted contains any useful information with which to help you.
    Nothing? ...Ok

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    What does this mean?
    Just a general field strip and once over to make sure there’s no glaring issues with a new firearm? Clearly a moronic thing to do.

Like I said, I determined what the issue was. This wasn’t an issue with my Gen 3 19.

Please just close the thread. Good lord.

ETA: I just found a YouTube video with someone demonstrating this problem with some people commenting echoing their Gen 5s also exhibit this sporadically.
    Last edited by parishioner; 09-22-18 at 20:43.

Feedback Score
    Seems wierd. Are you sure you have the recoil spring seated properly?
    I have a G4, not 5, but it seems idd to have to do that to reassemble.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Seems wierd. Are you sure you have the recoil spring seated properly?
    Yes it’s seated correctly, that was my initial thought as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Was your trigger by any chance reset after the slide was off? I haven't played with enough Gen 5's to know if it is a problem, it isn't on other Gen's in my experience. Just a thought.

Also, rear pin in place?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Was your trigger by any chance reset after the slide was off? I haven't played with enough Gen 5's to know if it is a problem, it isn't on other Gen's in my experience. Just a thought.

Also, rear pin in place?
    No, the trigger has always been to the rear during the process. I don’t think I’ve ever manually reset the trigger with the slide removed. It seems as though the firing pin is being inadvertently placed in the rear position somehow during slide removal. I’m going to experiment with it later this week.

Yes rear is in place.
    Last edited by parishioner; 09-22-18 at 22:48.

Feedback Score
    This isn't the first time I've heard of someone having trouble reassembling a new Glock's slide assembly to the frame.

I've no specific or definite "fix" but here are my observations and educated guesses as to what might work for folks or why it occurs:

-On each attempt, ensure the recoil spring assembly (RSA) is centered and the rear end is in (for a lack of a better term) the reassembly notch of the barrel.

-For some folks, pressing the firing pin safety "up" into the slide; then pushing the firing pin forward (which keeps the firing pin safety up/into the slide temporarily; and then reassemble the slide to frame. Again, remember to ensure the RSA is centered and the rear-end is in the barrel's re-assembly notch.

-I suspect it's a combination of a new gun and a new user with that specific gun. It's happened to me even with ~25 years with Glocks, although I'll usually get the gun together within three tries. Perhaps the firing pin safety is just a bit sticky at first when the trigger bar's vertical extension is hitting it (rearward motion changing to vertical motion of that firing pin safety), but I'm just speculating.

A related problem, which didn't even occur in this thread, is ensuring the slide is going over all four rails (two in front, then the two in the rear) as I've sometimes missed a rail or two. Simultaneously holding down the SLIDE LOCK and, gently but firmly, pounding on the rear of the slide usually gets the slide off; enabling a person to retry reassembling again. It helps to not be too tired and not get frustrated (resulting in giving up and failure).

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    No need to be a smart ass. You came asking for help and people are trying to help you. Your initial post had a lot extraneous info which could have been skipped.

Quote Originally Posted by parishioner View Post
    Nothing? ...Ok

Just a general field strip and once over to make sure there’s no glaring issues with a new firearm? Clearly a moronic thing to do.

Like I said, I determined what the issue was. This wasn’t an issue with my Gen 3 19.

Please just close the thread. Good lord.

ETA: I just found a YouTube video with someone demonstrating this problem with some people commenting echoing their Gen 5s also exhibit this sporadically.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast