Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zenith Z5 Rifle - Should I buy one?

Feedback Score

Zenith Z5 Rifle - Should I buy one?

https://zenithfirearms.com/product/zenith-z-5-rifle/

I’ve always wanted an MP5. Is it 100% HK compatible? Really worth the dough? Shoots well suppressed? Does the picatinny rail hold up if I use it for PCC matches? I really do not want to SBR any of my rifles.

The problem is, I already own this: https://www.cmmginc.com/product/rifle-mk9-t-9mm/

I have it decked out with an Aimpoint, fixed iron sights and love it. Runs on Brownells 9 mm AR mags like a champ (zero malfunctions). Perfect for PCC division in IDPA. I really see no reason to replace it, and I have no plans to go the SBR route.

Rumor has it Zenith will be introducing a G3 clone made to HK specs. I may wait for that, because HK’s G3 is damn near indestructible, and Sphur makes a good stock and handguard for it that turns it into a great battle rifle:

http://www.spuhr.biz/hk-g3-upgrades

I know I am speaking to crackheads in a crack house, but I can find another way to spend $2000 or use it for mutual funds.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you don't want to go the sbr route what about buying the pistol version and running a pistol brace on the back of it?

Personally the best option is to sbr a mp5 style gun. The extra barrel length really doesn't give you an advantage with pistol calibers.

As far as zenith goes. They are pretty good quality overall. The front take down pin hole can be machined a little off so if you swap the lower(say to go ambi) you might need to open up the front takedown pin hole in it a bit. The quality level is not on par with HK but overall is good(this comes from someone with a zenith z5rs and hk sp5 and hk94 guns). Its also worth saying that the guns don't have the later improvements in them which I'm guessing is due to MKE not being a currently licensed maker. Stuff like the later f improvements to the bcg are on the sp5k but not on the zenith. If you want a mp5 style gun I'd say go for it.

Feedback Score
    I was looking at one yesterday as well. The 3 proprietary ten round magazines were a little of a drawback, but I'm sure the nub in the magwell would be easy enough to remove. Other than that, the rifle was light and pretty well balanced.

Feedback Score
    The MP5 type guns are nice when shooting suppressed and have low reciprocating mass, so less violent feeling recoil. They're much quieter with a suppressor for the shooter because the bolt opening is delayed.

Sig's MPX accomplishes the much same thing, but using gas operation. It has a last shot bolt catch and release, has easier magazine insertion, and eliminates nasty FTE the MP5 can have where a spent case gets lodged in the trunnion and has to be pried out. Only down side is that it's a Sig, with all the corner cutting in material quality and QC that you'd expect there.

Feedback Score
    Do a pistol with a brace. They run great, even with cheap ammo after a few hundred round break in period.

Also, POF mags for MP5s are gtg. Robertrtg.com has them for around $30.

Feedback Score
    I had a couple of MKE MP5's at one point, they seemed well made. For what they are, honestly- I'd pick up a few if you can. There is a company that makes a barrel shroud that fits them as well.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score
    So I went ahead and ordered one. I will post a review when it arrives.

As a side note, this rifle comes with a Picatinny rail. Is it low enough to allow for Co-witnessing with an Aimpoint micro on a low QD mount (made my Larue or ADM)? I found this B&T rail to replace the Picatinny:

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/B-T-...t-91p16862.htm

This looks like it was made for an Aimpoint direct mount (weaver style). I will have to call them and ask. Aimpoint also makes a low LRP mount: https://shop.opticsplanet.com/aimpoi...SABEgKzAfD_BwE

It looks lower than the ADM or Larue. I may have to call and ask around, but if anyone here has some experience with these mounts, some input would be appreciated.

As an aside, I hope the 7.62 G3/HK 91 clones come out this year. I want one, and hope it has 5/8x24 threading to accept my SOCOM FH and suppressor.

Feedback Score
    I have real HK's but honestly, who gives a shit- it's an HK produced on HK machinery under HK license. It's a real HK. It's like AK's, they are made all over the planet. Same thing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast