Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zenith Z5 Rifle - Should I buy one?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    I have real HK's but honestly, who gives a shit- it's an HK produced on HK machinery under HK license. It's a real HK. It's like AK's, they are made all over the planet. Same thing.
    The build quality isn't as good as the real HK's I've seen/own. They have a known issue of the front takedown pin being off which means you need to open up the hole on a real hk trigger housing(be be fair you'd need to clip and pin it for a hk semi auto anyway). Another issue is that the 3 lugs of them are known to have issues(most seems to be the paint is too thick).

Its also worth saying that they were licensed. It doesn't seem like they are anymore. The guns are missing some upgrades made over the years due to this. The zenith's don't have the f bolt group upgrades in them that the sp5k does.

I also wouldn't really call it a clone as it's made from a factory that was at one point licensed using tooling to what was then HK's spec. I'm not saying they are bad though, I think overall the zenith guns are very good for the money(and have one). I would't say they are as good as the real HK ones.

I'd also say they are far better than the POF imports I've seen which is also from a factory that is or was licensed by hk.

Feedback Score
    I got the rifle Thursday afternoon. Haven’t had time to play with it yet. I agree with you Ccosby that the Zeniths are not as nice as the few HKs I’ve had the privilege of playing with.

Mine has a standard stock. The ergonomics make me appreciate my AR-15 variants. Nothing really is as good as my ARs when it comes to ergonomics. On this Zenith clone, I feel like the irons could be an inch or two higher, so maybe I should forget about trying to achieve cowitnessing.

If the gun runs well, I may try an AR stock adaptor and put a Mlok Midwest industries handguard up front. I don’t feel that the sights and paint are up to HK standards to merit making it an “authentic” clone. My goal here would be to have a functional shooter with an Aimpoint H2 micro 4 MOA up top.

I’ll post pics and a report when I get a chance next weekend.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    I got the rifle Thursday afternoon. Haven’t had time to play with it yet. I agree with you Ccosby that the Zeniths are not as nice as the few HKs I’ve had the privilege of playing with.

Mine has a standard stock. The ergonomics make me appreciate my AR-15 variants. Nothing really is as good as my ARs when it comes to ergonomics. On this Zenith clone, I feel like the irons could be an inch or two higher, so maybe I should forget about trying to achieve cowitnessing.

If the gun runs well, I may try an AR stock adaptor and put a Mlok Midwest industries handguard up front. I don’t feel that the sights and paint are up to HK standards to merit making it an “authentic” clone. My goal here would be to have a functional shooter with an Aimpoint H2 micro 4 MOA up top. I find the T1/2 to be too small for comfortable uncluttered cowitness and prefer these to sit higher on a mp5. I would also consider chopping the front diopter ring into ears whencowitnessing a red dot.

I am biased, however I personally like the B&T folding/collapsing stock on a full-size mp5. It gives great LOP adjustment. It is reminiscent to me of the SwissArms folding/collapsing stock for the 55x series, which is my preferred stock on those rifles.

Re: optics on the mp5, I am not a fan of cowitnessed red dots with diopter sights. And if I cowitness a red dot I would prefer the larger 30mmtube of the Aimpoint Comp M/ML and Pro. The diopter are just too cluttered in the FOV in my opinion.

D36C7FBE-F399-4A7C-A737-45CD4CE29F7F.jpg
    Last edited by JoshNC; 05-19-18 at 17:17.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    I am biased, however I personally like the B&T folding/collapsing stock on a full-size mp5. It gives great LOP adjustment. It is reminiscent to me of the SwissArms folding/collapsing stock for the 55x series, which is my preferred stock on those rifles.

Re: optics on the mp5, I am not a fan of cowitnessed red dots with diopter sights. And if I cowitness a red dot I would prefer the larger 30mmtube of the Aimpoint Comp M/ML and Pro. The diopter are just too cluttered in the FOV in my opinion.

Does the B&T stock place your cheekweld up higher than the standard stock?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post

I agree. I am either going to remove my micro or use an ADM riser intended for the CASV to clear the front hood. An eotech XPS series should also do this.

If I focus on the target like I am supposed to do the dot just covers it and the "clutter" just sort of blurs out. If I focus on the irons it's a cluttered mess.
    "Run fast. Shoot straight. Die proud." -Boba Fett

Trample the weak. Hurdle the dead.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems." -Ryan Job

Feedback Score

If the gun runs well, I may try an AR stock adaptor and put a Mlok Midwest industries handguard up front. I don’t feel that the sights and paint are up to HK standards to merit making it an “authentic” clone. My goal here would be to have a functional shooter with an Aimpoint H2 micro 4 MOA up top.

Leave it the way it's supposed to be. There is absolutely nothing wrong with HK stocks and learning to use the original sights. I can engage steel plates at 300 meters just as well with HK sights, AR sights, or AK sights. It takes practice, learning the weapon for what it was intended so if you ever had to just use one randomly in the wild you would be proficient with it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does the B&T stock place your cheekweld up higher than the standard stock?
    I believe a bit lower, but I don’t have one in front of me to compare to an A2. Another option to lower the cheek weld is the A3 or F stock.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just throw an optic up on it and call it good. If you are used to an optic, you will be fine.

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Rumor has it Zenith will be introducing a G3 clone made to HK specs. I may wait for that, because HK’s G3 is damn near indestructible, and Sphur makes a good stock and handguard for it that turns it into a great battle rifle:

http://www.spuhr.biz/hk-g3-upgrades
    I've been waiting for them to bring in their G3 variant (the Z41).

I spoke with one of their reps at the NRA show who told me since Syria kicked up Turkey has had a demand for MKE's G3 and their new next gen rifle the MPT-76. So they are not sure when they will be importing any.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 05-22-18 at 12:42.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    I've been waiting for them to bring in their G3 variant (the Z41).

I spoke with one of their reps at the NRA show who told me since Syria kicked up Turkey has had a demand for MKE's G3 and their new next gen rifle the MPT-76. So they are not sure when they will be importing any.
    That is terrible news. They were claiming August at the SHOT show.

7n6, I intend to use this at PCC matches, so it will be more of a gamer gun and not an authentic MP5. I agree with getting used to iron sights though. I may also want a trigger job. Zenith offers one, and I’ve heard good things about Bill Springfield.

I’ll get to shoot it this weekend. I’ll try to post a report.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast