Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zenith Z5 Rifle - Should I buy one?

Feedback Score
    Regarding the Zenith 9mm's and 5.56 HK style rifles, can they take HK full auto trigger packs without modification? The trigger packs are $30k+, but I'd be more willing to toss down that kind of money if the less expensive Zeniths could be used.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Regarding the Zenith 9mm's and 5.56 HK style rifles, can they take HK full auto trigger packs without modification? The trigger packs are $30k+, but I'd be more willing to toss down that kind of money if the less expensive Zeniths could be used.
    From what I understand the actual trigger housing has to be specific to the model of HK type rifle/sub you are using. So a Zenith or newer production SP5K would have it's own unique housing cuts versus an older 90 series with the semi-shelf. However a registered trigger pack itself if it's cut for the older 90's style semi-shelf will fit any of them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    No. The zenith has a rear block that prevents a full auto bolt carrier. A transferable trigger pack is going to be modified in the front to clear the semi auto shelf that the HK semi auto guns had as well.

My understanding is the people that have converted the guns to run with a transferable pack they get a shelf welded in the front converting it to a single push pin lower design and then remove the rear block in the receiver. Pretty much they convert them to the way hk handled the semi auto guns.

The PTR guns are setup like HK ones and will take a transferable pack without the mods. Same with most other clones.

Feedback Score
    So I just hit up an indoor range and shot out to 25 yards. 150 rounds of MEN and no malfunctions. My impressions:

- Very little recoil. Follow up shots were easy
    - No gas blow back to the face but even with German MEN NATO ammo it was still a smokey affair
    - MKE and German HK mags worked fine
    - The trigger could be improved but it’s livable. I may send the lower to Zenith for a trigger job
    - I am not a fan of the safety/selector or the pistol grip. The AR’s is better. Perhaps I can get a different style lower and grip on HK Parts
    - I wish I had an extended handguard so I can get my support hand out farther
    - It is a very accurate little carbine. Zenith zeroed the rifle so i did not need to adjust anything.
    - The fixed A2 stock is fine with diopter sights but I wish it was collapsible to adjust for LOP

So I think I’ll keep her and ask some more questions here and on HK Pro. Whenever I get time to go to my gun club, I’ll set up some barrels and IDPA targets and compare it to my CMMG Mk9T. I hate to say it, but the ergonomics of the AR beats the MP5 hands down.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ccosby View Post
    No. The zenith has a rear block that prevents a full auto bolt carrier. A transferable trigger pack is going to be modified in the front to clear the semi auto shelf that the HK semi auto guns had as well.

My understanding is the people that have converted the guns to run with a transferable pack they get a shelf welded in the front converting it to a single push pin lower design and then remove the rear block in the receiver. Pretty much they convert them to the way hk handled the semi auto guns.

The PTR guns are setup like HK ones and will take a transferable pack without the mods. Same with most other clones.

A transferable trigger pack itself would generally be set up for an older 90 series wrap around semi shelf that is different on the Zenith type rifles due to the front take down pin. However a transferable trigger pack will drop into a Zenith cut trigger housing without issue. The legal issues arise when you need to legally remove the full auto carrier block on the Zenith because it requires that you use an HK wrap around semi-shelf. You can have a full auto bolt carrier block in the receiver itself with the forward take down pin as the Zenith's are imported or an HK wrap around semi-shelf with the carrier block removed. Can't have both a front take down pin and carrier block removed on the same weapon otherwise it's considered an unregistered NFA weapon in and of itself.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 05-26-18 at 22:18.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I own one, love it, waiting on my SBR stamp. I through a T2 on mine and its a nice gun.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    The MKE grip housings have lumps on the bottom of the trigger pocket that match up to cuts on the bottom of the MKE trigger pack, which prevents a non-MKE trigger pack from working in an MKE grip housing. FYI.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    The MKE grip housings have lumps on the bottom of the trigger pocket that match up to cuts on the bottom of the MKE trigger pack, which prevents a non-MKE trigger pack from working in an MKE grip housing. FYI.
    I figured as such. I just want a trigger job, that is all. If I want an FBI or Navy style lower, I will have to go for something else.

As an aside, I am not a fan of the thumb safety on my Zenith. Does anyone make an extended version?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    As an aside, I am not a fan of the thumb safety on my Zenith. Does anyone make an extended version?
    If there is Pro for getting the Navy/FBI ambi, its the extended lever called a ESSL.

For the SEF like on a Zenith I have not found an extended lever being made anymore. Some say the PSG one will work, the manufacturer says no.
    https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/P...R-124p3279.htm

HKParts has a new SEF ambi lever but it does not look extended to me.

A Navy SEF housing helps but still not as usable for me like the ambi.
    Last edited by Rayrevolver; 06-01-18 at 14:05.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
    If there is Pro for getting the Navy/FBI ambi, its the extended lever called a ESSL.

For the SEF like on a Zenith I have not found an extended lever being made anymore. Some say the PSG one will work, the manufacturer says no.
    https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/P...R-124p3279.htm

HKParts has a new SEF ambi lever but it does not look extended to me.

A Navy SEF housing helps but still not as usable for me like the ambi.
    I agree with your assessment of their extended SEF lever. It looks exactly the same as the one my Zenith has.

I went ahead and ordered a FBI lower, a completely US made ambi trigger pack and the ambi ESSL level system. I went over all the parts with the HK Parts people, and they claim it should be compatible. If it doesn’t run, I can send it back. I’ll check it out and try it this weekend.

I feel like a total HK dork/nerd buying all these parts and playing with them

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast