Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Add a BCM Extractor Spring?

Feedback Score

Do You Add a BCM Extractor Spring?

My 16 inch barrel AR 15 is ejecting at about 1:30 or 2:00. I am using the buffer and buffer spring which came with the rifle about 2 years old. Some people just add a BCM extractor spring (stronger spring) to their shorter rifles. Do you do this? Why? If not, why not?

Feedback Score
    215 (100%)
    Unless you are having any malfunctions I wouldn't worry about it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Tell us more about the rifle itself. What buffer weight? Gas system length?
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    These are the components which came with it. It is a 16 inch barrel, Black Forge rifle. Their motto was "better than mil spec" and everything I have checked is mil spec so whatever it would be regarding the buffer and spring would be that. I recently cleaned the buffer and spring and could find no identifying mark on the buffer. The rifle has a standard FSP and so I assume the standard gas system for that length barrel. It does have a normal spring and ring. The ring is perhaps somewhat compressed but not flat.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    These are the components which came with it. It is a 16 inch barrel, Black Forge rifle. Their motto was "better than mil spec" and everything I have checked is mil spec so whatever it would be regarding the buffer and spring would be that. I recently cleaned the buffer and spring and could find no identifying mark on the buffer. The rifle has a standard FSP and so I assume the standard gas system for that length barrel. It does have a normal spring and ring. The ring is perhaps somewhat compressed but not flat.
    16 inch barrels come in multiple gas system lengths. You need to find out what. A FSP can be used with any gas system.

What buffer (the weight in the lower that the BCG pushes against) weight? It’s not as easy as saying “it’s milspec”.

What you describe seems to be a gas system issue not an extractor issue.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My 16 inch barrel AR 15 is ejecting at about 1:30 or 2:00. I am using the buffer and buffer spring which came with the rifle about 2 years old. Some people just add a BCM extractor spring (stronger spring) to their shorter rifles. Do you do this? Why? If not, why not?
    Why add the BCM or Colt extractor spring? 1) As a diagnostic step in curing a failure to extract situation. Sometimes the OEM spring may not be strong enough to ensure the proper extractor pressure. Replacing the extractor spring with a known quantity spring is a step in checking the boxes to correct the problem. 2) Some folks just do it as a matter of course, firm in their belief that Colt or BCM offer better quality.

Do you do this? Why? If not, why not? I have done it on rifles to cure extraction problems. I do not replace the OEM springs as a matter of course until there are problems. My background is as a LE trainer, as part of my job I taught rifle classes. Most agencies buy/take the rifles as they are. Most often the rifles I've needed to work on were well used LESO 1033 rifles. About 15 years ago I did run into a bunch of agency Bushmasters that needed different extractor springs, Bushmaster sent the agency new bolts overnight air. Other than that I haven't seen OEM springs as a problem. Springs are a wear item and there is nothing wrong with replacing at specific round counts, such as every 5,000 rounds.

My 16 inch barrel AR 15 is ejecting at about 1:30 or 2:00 According to 'the chart' your rifle may be overgassed. First thing I would do is check the action spring (AKA buffer spring). For a carbine, the spring should start life 10.5 inches long, if it is 10 inches or shorter you need a new one. Remembering springs are a wear item, it is not a bad idea to measure at 2,000 - 3,000 rounds and replace at 5,000 rounds.

The next thing I would do is replace the standard carbine buffer with an H or H2 buffer (actually I replace carbine buffers as a matter of course so I guess it would be classed as the first thing I do). Unless you are on a strict budget, I would get the H2, all my rifles run fine on them and it smooths the action right out.

As someone else mentioned, if you aren't having malfunctions, it is perfectly okay to drive on.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 05-05-18 at 15:25.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    These are the components which came with it. It is a 16 inch barrel, Black Forge rifle. Their motto was "better than mil spec" and everything I have checked is mil spec so whatever it would be regarding the buffer and spring would be that.
    After checking their specs, these rifles are NOT "better than mil-spec". 4140 is the stated material used for the barrel when it should be 4150. Who knows what else they cheaped out on.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Before we go down this rabbit hole. What is your experience level with the AR15 family of weapons? What type of buffer are you using in this rifle? What is the gas port sizing? Who makes the BCG and what spring is in there now? All of these things need to be looked at first.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    My action spring is 10 3/8 inches long. Again, I looked at the buffer for markings and found none. It has a white plastic type tip at the far end pointing towards me as I shoot but other than that I don't know how to describe it. I do not have 5000 rounds but I do have 2000 rounds on this rifle or more. If I replace the spring first, any recommendations as to brand/type?

BCM uses the stronger spring in their bolts. The BCM BCG is considered to have a good reputation. Another reason I am mentioning replacement is shooting steel rounds. I do not shoot steel but what if I have no other choice someday? I have read a stronger extractor spring helps in that situation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sig1473 View Post
    After checking their specs, these rifles are NOT "better than mil-spec". 4140 is the stated material used for the barrel when it should be 4150. Who knows what else they cheaped out on.
    Can you give me a source on this? I talked to a retailer who sold these rifles and Black Forge. They made several models of ARs. This retailer (I forget who this was, it was some time ago) went down the line with metal, chrome, and it all was correct for my rifle.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast