Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Do You Add a BCM Extractor Spring?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    Um, if you don't have that extra buffer laying around how the hell are you going to build another AR? Duh...
    I know. That is the point, avoid extra parts. I'm in a self-help group whose goal is to help addicts break the cycle of building. Something as simple as an extra A2 flash suppressor can cause an addict to fall off the wagon. We need to break the chains of addiction. (at least that's what the sweatshirts from the halfway house in my community say)

Seriously, I started buying wieghts to convert for just that reason - I had several carbine buffers laying around gathering dust, plus I'd been reading about the R7 buffers. About forty bucks and I was in buffer nervana.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 05-09-18 at 11:10.

Feedback Score
    I have a Red SpringCo spring if anyone wants it. I ordered it along with a blue when I was building my rifle. I settled on the blue for mine to ensure reliably in sub zero temps. If someone wants it, please let me know.I shot about 20 rounds with it. I will gladly send it to someone for 10 bucks plus shipping.

MOD EDIT: ALL sales/trades are done in the Equipment Exchange, ONLY. Period, end of story. And, the EE has a minimum post-count requirement (see the EE rules) that you have not met.

Feedback Score
    Is this weight procedure really rocket science guys? I have a set of punches and there are youtube instructions on doing this. Go to the 2:40 minute mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTxu8RG4nbU

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Most definitely not Rocket Science - the hard work has already been done by the guys who figured out the best weights to use for different applications.

Feedback Score
    Nope not rocket science. If you want to buy some tungsten weights and experiment go for it!

I’m going to venture a guess that if your carbine is ejecting to 1:00-1:30 that it is overgassed. A lot of 16” barrels with carbine length gas systems suffer from this, as other more knowledgeable individuals will attest this combination creates considerably more dwell time of gas pressure at the gas port. This results in more gas volume into the system, and faster bolt carrier speeds. I have a Colt M4A1 with a 16” barrel and carbine length gas system, Colt shipped it with an H2 buffer and it runs nicely.

For your edification, if not explained already, the buffer will be marked on the face of the buffer where the bolt carrier pushes against it. Easily visible with the buffer in the receiver extension. No marking means it’s a standard carbine buffer, H is one tungsten weight, H2... well you get the picture.

Put an H or H2 in it, your bolt, extractor, action spring, and ejector spring will thank you in the long run. Plus the carbine will run smoother.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Nope not rocket science. If you want to buy some tungsten weights and experiment go for it!

I’m going to venture a guess that if your carbine is ejecting to 1:00-1:30 that it is overgassed. A lot of 16” barrels with carbine length gas systems suffer from this, as other more knowledgeable individuals will attest this combination creates considerably more dwell time of gas pressure at the gas port. This results in more gas volume into the system, and faster bolt carrier speeds. I have a Colt M4A1 with a 16” barrel and carbine length gas system, Colt shipped it with an H2 buffer and it runs nicely.

For your edification, if not explained already, the buffer will be marked on the face of the buffer where the bolt carrier pushes against it. Easily visible with the buffer in the receiver extension. No marking means it’s a standard carbine buffer, H is one tungsten weight, H2... well you get the picture.

Put an H or H2 in it, your bolt, extractor, action spring, and ejector spring will thank you in the long run. Plus the carbine will run smoother.
    Thanks Coal Dragger, I plan to start with an H2 weight and see where I am after that.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Trying to figure out why you are making something easy so complicated when you have been given good advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Thanks Coal Dragger, I plan to start with an H2 weight and see where I am after that.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Trying to figure out why you are making something easy so complicated when you have been given good advice?
    Isn't that exactly what I said I was going to do? Why are you trying to confuse the issue?

Feedback Score
    Final Report

I called Sprinco, they recommended two titanium weights and their orange spring (the strongest one). Both the KAK and Sprinco spring arrived yesterday. Today's trial run went perfectly. The bolt locked back every time, the ejection pattern was 3-4:30. The recoil is much smoother. I couldn't be happier. THANKS GUYS for your help.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Final Report

I called Sprinco, they recommended two titanium weights and their orange spring (the strongest one).
    Titanium? Not Tungsten? Seems backwards. And did they give you a reason on the orange over the blue? I've never used the orange or really even considered it.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast