Thread: Proper use of tactical light

Feedback Score

Proper use of tactical light

I’m not in a military or LE job field but I do like my toys. Tonight at work I had to ask a meth head to leave, he said he was leaving but just tweaked out in his car for another 30 minutes. I called police non emergency but just sat on hold for twenty minutes. Finally decided I was ready to go home so I went out to his car and knocked on his window, just as he turned his head I lit him up with 1,000 lumens. It was extremely effective, he was looking around while trying to shield his eyes but it was obvious he couldn’t tell where I was and I had a huge advantage. Luckily the situation ended peacefully and he left.

My question is, does anyone have some tips and tricks on how and when to properly deploy a tactical light or where I can do some reading on the subject?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Short of a proper course with good instructor, Sage Dynamics on youtube. Lots of good info there. Just curious, why put yourself at risk if the guy is tweaking in his car by knocking on the window? I worked as a LEO for 25 yrs. and meth users usually have lots of crap in their cars, large blades are common...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    Short of a proper course with good instructor, Sage Dynamics on youtube. Lots of good info there. Just curious, why put yourself at risk if the guy is tweaking in his car by knocking on the window? I worked as a LEO for 25 yrs. and meth users usually have lots of crap in their cars, large blades are common...
    This is something to really consider. OP, a situation like that could prove problematic if it escalates to a deadly force incident.

Feedback Score
    Valid points and things I had considered and knew they would be brought up immediately by the community. Thanks for confirming what I assumed. That said I knew a light and a little surprise would give me an advantage but I was surprised how dramatic of an effect the light had and I want to learn more about it’s effective use. Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The way you used it is textbook.

The way you handled the situation as non leo, however, was not.

Overall, don't call something like that in as non emergency. In the interest of your PerSec, that should be regarded higher.

Your mentality of how to use the light is correct.

I have and use a WML. Having my wife practice with the surefire I insist she carry, I can confirm that being on the receiving end, even during the daylight, is disorientating.

It truly is an inspection/verification tool.

At best, it helps disorient a threat so much that they back down.

At worst, it sends a tweaker/threat into overdrive/panic and you have the light to help identify the warnings and signs that are those preattack cues if/when switching to deadly force.

But, when to use that light is determined by the threat as it should be used in that manner. Not to put ourselves into the danger of the threat.

Keep in mind, panic and adrenaline are very common when lit up. Especially for career criminals who expect that from LEO.

Overall, glad it went well, stay safe.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 05-06-18 at 18:00.