Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smaller capacity AK 7.62x39 drums...

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltActionAssault View Post
    All I'm saying is ripping through a drum of 60 rounds is $12 at the prices you are quoting vs. $6 if you run a full 30 round mag. I find loading less in general leaves me spending significantly less and spending more time at the range than others. Usually at higher capacities most people are just burning through the ammo anyways vs taking their time to place shots in clean groups.
    Your experience doesn't mirror mine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Your experience doesn't mirror mine.
    I agree. Adding more ammo into a mag doesn't make me shoot any faster. I find drums to be awkward but I don't shoot 60 round drum any faster than two 30 round mags

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I agree. Adding more ammo into a mag doesn't make me shoot any faster. I find drums to be awkward but I don't shoot 60 round drum any faster than two 30 round mags

Every time I have given someone a loaded drum they blast through it as fast as they can. It hasn't been been the same when I hand someone a loaded mag. Honestly I'm really surprised to hear you guys haven't observed the same.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    All I'm saying is ripping through a drum of 60 rounds is $12 at the prices you are quoting vs. $6 if you run a full 30 round mag. I find loading less in general leaves me spending significantly less and spending more time at the range than others.
    Usually at higher capacities most people are just burning through the ammo anyways vs taking their time to place shots in clean groups.

Every time I have given someone a loaded drum they blast through it as fast as they can. It hasn't been been the same when I hand someone a loaded mag. Honestly I'm really surprised to hear you guys haven't observed the same.
    You see what I'm getting at?

What does your shooting have to do with others?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    You see what I'm getting at?

What does your shooting have to do with others?

Just talking about it for the heck of it. Not trying to start a pissing match.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just talking about it for the heck of it. Not trying to start a pissing match.
    Neither am I. .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Let's not de-rail the thread please.

I like drums for a first mag in the gun and also for car guns house guns and static or semi static positions as well as mounted ops.

TED

Feedback Score
    I've never seen a drum smaller than 75 rnds for the AK. With 40 round mags being cheap and plentiful there's probably no demand for a 50 to 60 round drum. Even if someone made a 50 round steel drum it'd probably not be much smaller/lighter. D60s are small & light cause they're polymer and .223 is a smaller round.

As much as I love drums, I don't think they're practical, but they're fun. Most of my drums are top loaders but IMHO the AK backloaders are the easiest to load and can be left unwound til needed. Just don't overwind them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderson View Post
    I've never seen a drum smaller than 75 rnds for the AK. With 40 round mags being cheap and plentiful there's probably no demand for a 50 to 60 round drum. Even if someone made a 50 round steel drum it'd probably not be much smaller/lighter. D60s are small & light cause they're polymer and .223 is a smaller round.

As much as I love drums, I don't think they're practical, but they're fun. Most of my drums are top loaders but IMHO the AK backloaders are the easiest to load and can be left unwound til needed. Just don't overwind them.
    There were some Korean commercial 60 round drums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12