Thread: Powder lot change / velocity change IMR 4064

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    double post, sorry
    Last edited by masan; 05-09-18 at 15:11. Reason: double post

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I have a Harrels powder measure at the house. Pappabear had bought it for throwing 4064.... but I never got consistent with that powder in the unit. I need to revisit that equipment.
    Harrels are as good as anything out there, better really. Culver style measures, like the Harrels, perform best when operated in a certain manner. Feel free to PM me if interested, it isnt something that I can explain by typing, usually need to physically demonstrate.

Like I said, pm if interested.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Mark has loaded ammo cans of full 168 SMK for us to shoot out of the LMT MWS, so I grabbed that thrower. He never warmed up to it as he is stubborn in his proven ways. I said for thumping steal ammo we can deal with less than .5 Moa, maybe this will tempt him. Thanks for the offer. He just loaded 200 rounds of 300WM that is .25 to .5 MOA stuff that we are going to do a 300 test with 3 , 300's this Sunday and do write up.

Im expecting some pretty impressive results.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I gave up on my thrower when I stopped loading my ammunition at the match. They are the best when you are trying to make ammo between matches and cycle brass properly. Loading from home and not worrying about cycling brass is just better, at least for me. I am interested to hear what results you guys come up with.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The appeal of the thrower is speed. I've not given up on the thrower. It's just a matter of finding time to work on new projects. Sunday was a 12 hour, non stop win mag loadathon.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    They are about the fastest way to get powder into the case. With a little practice and some Sharpie marks, they can also be pretty accurate.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masan View Post
    They are about the fastest way to get powder into the case. With a little practice and some Sharpie marks, they can also be pretty accurate.
    Can you expand on pretty accurate? How much variation is there in throws? .5 .2 1.0?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Can you expand on pretty accurate? How much variation is there in throws? .5 .2 1.0?

PB
    With my measure I can get .1 pretty regularly, though it will occasionally drop up to .3

Here is a link to a recent discussion I am part of about measures and scales and how accurate our measures really are (mine is the second post, where I describe the method I used to try and determine my measures accuracy):

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...ccess.3951725/

edit:

The I.D. of the drop tube you are using plays some role, more in how well the powder will pack but also in the accuracy of the measure.
    Last edited by masan; 05-16-18 at 13:37.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Interesting. Do you think 4064 is realistically possible to achieve .3 gr variance? That stuff is like rice. I could run shorter kernels in it (like Varget) too. Bulk loading (100 rounds or more) on the chargemaster gets exhausting.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I feel you on the ChargeMaster, I typically load up 200-400 rounds for competitions, rough weighed on the ChargeMaster then checked/trickled on the FX 120i, it can get tedious.

The way the Harrels measure is designed it should be fine with the 4064, though you are pretty much guaranteed to end up cutting some kernels of powder.

I would check to make sure the ID on your drop tube is 1/4" and not 3/16".

If you want to PM your email address I can make a cell phone video of the "tricks" to eek out some more accuracy from the measure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast