Thread: Anybody load 30-30?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Anybody load 30-30?

I have about 100 range pick-up cases which are a mixture of FC, Winchester, and S&B. After I sized then and started priming most of the FC primers went in way too easily on about 5 cases. Then I moved on to Winchester and about 3/6 of them weren't tight.

Moving on to the S&B, I found out the primer pockets were crimped. Even after I removed the crimps with a reamer, the primer pockets were so tight I was afraid I was gonna set the primers off seating them. Good stuff!

Now I only have a out 18 of the S&B, have them loaded up, but now I'm wondering where I can get some more. I can't seem to find any online. Or at least find some once fired that isn't garbage. I can find once fired Remington-Peters brass but at $27 per 100, I don't know if it's worth the money or not.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I see Winchester bagged in 100's at Bass Pro and Sportsman's Warehouse on a regular basis. Not all the time mind you, but often enough.

Feedback Score
    I don't know where you can find S&B brass but I wouldn't worry about it.

I have been loading 30-30 for twenty years and have never noticed any brand being better or worse overall. Often the brass stretches a little more due to the actions and the taper of the case but I would just load the brass till the primer pockets are loose, then toss it and buy more brass. There are plenty of places to online that stock new 30-30 brass and I have never had a problem with Winchester, Remington, or Federal brass in 30-30.

Feedback Score
    I have 30-30 cases over 25 years old and never had a problem with stretched or enlarged primer pockets. The 30-30 max chamber pressure is 38,000 cup or 42,000 psi and this is not great enough to stretch the primer pockets. My guess is you have some primers that are a bit too small in diameter or someone was loading the 30-30 cases too hot and stretched out the primer pockets.

My 30-30 cases fail with split necks because I do not anneal and I have never had to scrap a 30-30 case with a stretched out primer pocket.

The only range pickup brass I use are military cases with crimped primers and you know were only fired once.

I would toss the range pickup brass and buy new cases if a different brand of primer doesn't fix the problem.

Prvi Partizan Brass 30-30 Winchester Unprimed Bag of 50 $23.99
    https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/73808

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It was the Winchester primers.
    CCI are fine.