Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget LVPO options?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Budget LVPO options?

Looking to get into the LPVO game, but not sure if I will like it, or stick with it.

Long question short:
    Is there any options for entry level interest in the ~$100 range?

I can google well, but hoping for some anecdotal evidence behind a particular brand or scope.

I just finished out a 16" midlength, and want to try it out.

If there isn't any good options in that range, in your opine, feel free to voice that too. I'm a complete novice to LPVO.

I used thread search, and read a few, but couldn't find what I was looking for in 35 pages. Haha.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 05-08-18 at 01:26.

Feedback Score
    For 100 bucks you can get a quality set of irons and learn to shoot those well. While learning those, save up for a Steiner px4i, or similar.

Optics at the 100 dollar level are going to be a negative to your training and leave you frustrated.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldozer3 View Post
    For 100 bucks you can get a quality set of irons and learn to shoot those well. While learning those, save up for a Steiner px4i, or similar.

Optics at the 100 dollar level are going to be a negative to your training and leave you frustrated.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Thanks for your reply. I have seen and heard wonderful things about Steiner.

I am, at the meantime, efficient with Irons. Beyong taking it out to 300+ meters, most of my shooting is with irons. (Matechs, KAC Micros, Carry Handle, and Daniel Defense)

My biggest fear is investing a lot to find out I don't like utilizing it. While my plans would be to invest more, I am hesitant due to my current monthly budget restrictions.

Of course, resale value does have it's justification. I know anything sub 100 will have nearly no resale value, while high end tends to hold that value.

Nonetheless, your input is very appreciated, and isn't taken lightly.

I was just wondering if anyone knew any optics that had quality enough to show me if I like the concept or not. If those options don't exist, well I will hafta apply the proverbial statement to myself of: "Suck it up buttercup".
    Last edited by HeruMew; 05-08-18 at 00:50.

Feedback Score
    I have a Primary Arms 1-4 in their cantilever mount on a spare mid length build I did last year. I think the optic & mount together were less than $200. I have no complaints about the scope, and actually like the simple, uncluttered view of the reticle. I would buy again.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I could only imagine a LPVO for 100$ would turn you off to LPVO and not be a fair idea of what a good or decent optic is like.

Can you rent one? check it out in a store?

I think LPVO are where it is at. If its good, a true 1x is a big deal to me. The Leupold VX-r is "1.25" and it bothers me. Also my 1.5x ACOG has less magnification than my Leupold 1.25x, imagine that. I'd venture to guess the ACOG is 1.2x and the Leupold is easily over 1.5x.

Also buy once cry once. I have a leupold VX-6 1-6 and a Nightforce NXS 1-4, both are excellent. The Night force is better.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    I could only imagine a LPVO for 100$ would turn you off to LPVO and not be a fair idea of what a good or decent optic is like.

For sure.

You be better off finding something along the lines of a PA or Vortex on the used market.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This is a great reason why I turn to our community;

In my initial thoughts, as in the OP, I was concerned that may be the case.

Looks like I am sucking it up and waiting it out. If I can't cure the itch by the time the 350 or so for a Vortex is saved up, I will pick one up with a good mount; if I can keep my cool I will wait a little longer and pick up a Steiner. Especially with how many LPVO hit the EE here.

Looking around more, it seems like the Steiner is regarded as the "Baseline" for good quality while even Vortex and PA are more entry level.

Ultimately: Truly thanks everyone. I am in a much better place rather than wasting money. As much as I want to jump into the game, I don't want to be turned off based on my equipment quality not being adequate enough to do what I want with it.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 05-08-18 at 12:13.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post

Can you rent one? check it out in a store?

I think LPVO are where it is at. If its good, a true 1x is a big deal to me. The Leupold VX-r is "1.25" and it bothers me. Also my 1.5x ACOG has less magnification than my Leupold 1.25x, imagine that. I'd venture to guess the ACOG is 1.2x and the Leupold is easily over 1.5x.

Also buy once cry once. I have a leupold VX-6 1-6 and a Nightforce NXS 1-4, both are excellent. The Night force is better.
    Hoping I can rent one.

We have a new indoor range that just opened in the last year. Have yet to go due to pricing on the range and rentals. But, if I can go for one quick sessions get a couple boxes down range to see how I like the optics. I would bet they have a rental one.

If not, sounds like I gotta make more friends in high places.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    This is a great reason why I turn to our community;

In my initial thoughts, as in the OP, I was concerned that may be the case.

Looks like I am sucking it up and waiting it out. If I can't cure the itch by the time the 350 or so for a Vortex is saved up, I will pick one up with a good mount; if I can keep my cool I will wait a little longer and pick up a Steiner. Especially with how many LPVO hit the EE here.

Looking around more, it seems like the Steiner is regarded as the "Baseline" for good quality while even Vortex and PA are more entry level.

Ultimately: Truly thanks everyone. I am in a much better place rather than wasting money. As much as I want to jump into the game, I don't want to be turned off based on my equipment quality not being adequate enough to do what I want with it.
    Brother- Memorial Day is soon approaching..ALWAYS good sales on optics all over. I use, and highly recommend, the Steiner P4Xi 1x4 Red Dot. Watch DSG Arms they run good sales on it plus a mount combo.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    Hoping I can rent one.
    Take a look around for 3 gun matches. Most people won't find you taking a look through theirs and will give you hands on with mounts and eye relief.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast