Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget LVPO options?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    I really like the way that looks.

Will keep it in mind as I have only heard great things about the ACSS.

Sounds like it has good daylight illumination as well, which is essential in my venture.

ETA: Beautiful rifle by the way; functionally, it looks like you got everything you need in a pretty compact package.
    Thanks, the Jack is my favorite rifle and does everything I ask. I've had it thru a couple classes and it does great. I try to keep it as light as possible but just added the AFG as I just really missed having it, but it does add a little weight. The bipod is only for the pic and range use. Weight is the main reason I've kept the H1 on it for so many years, but we all get old and my vision isn't what it used to be. I didn't want to spend a fortune just to "test drive" an optic to see if I even like it, the PA Raptor fit the bill well. So far I'm really impressed, especially of the new found LR potential.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I got a Bushnell 1-4x24 on sale for $90 shipped. No illumination, and turrets are uncapped, but other than that I have no complaints (tbh I don't care about the illumination). It's got a lifetime warranty, a simple BDC, and the adjustable eyepiece makes it easy to focus between several users. I mainly use it to test handloads at 100 yds, so I've been quite happy with it.

I actually spent way more on the Bobro mount than on the LPVO because I may one day upgrade the scope.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    I got a Bushnell 1-4x24 on sale for $90 shipped. No illumination, and turrets are uncapped, but other than that I have no complaints (tbh I don't care about the illumination). It's got a lifetime warranty, a simple BDC, and the adjustable eyepiece makes it easy to focus between several users. I mainly use it to test handloads at 100 yds, so I've been quite happy with it.

I actually spent way more on the Bobro mount than on the LPVO because I may one day upgrade the scope.
    That’s not “affordable,” that’s garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    That's a $1,500 optic. I don't think the OP, or many others on this board, would consider it affordable.
    As jpmuscle pointed out, it’s $1200 all day. If you can’t afford $1200 for an LPVO then buy some irons and spend $600 on two cases of ammo, you’ll be better off than spending $700 on a half baked lpvo and no ammo.

Also, $1500 isn’t that much money. Nothing firearms related really costs, that much money; and this is coming from a poverty stricken government employee. It’s called “saving.” It’s a novel process by which you take various amounts of money and place them into a porcelain pig for withdraw at a later date. You can save more or less based on your priorities.

For example, I was able to buy my Razor 1-6 by not drinking for a month or going to strip clubs. I decided a quality lpvo was more important to me than my alcoholism and banging strippers. Anybody is capable of making these decisions.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    As jpmuscle pointed out, it’s $1200 all day. If you can’t afford $1200 for an LPVO then buy some irons and spend $600 on two cases of ammo, you’ll be better off than spending $700 on a half baked lpvo and no ammo.

Also, $1500 isn’t that much money. Nothing firearms related really costs, that much money; and this is coming from a poverty stricken government employee. It’s called “saving.” It’s a novel process by which you take various amounts of money and place them into a porcelain pig for withdraw at a later date. You can save more or less based on your priorities.

For example, I was able to buy my Razor 1-6 by not drinking for a month or going to strip clubs. I decided a quality lpvo was more important to me than my alcoholism and banging strippers. Anybody is capable of making these decisions.

We’re all impressed at your budgeting skills but possible and affordable are two very different things. You claim to be poverty stricken but it sounds like you have tons of disposable income if you can save $1200 in a month from just cutting out alcohol and strip clubs. The OP asked for something that’s $100 but has opened up consideration to something about five times more than that. Suggesting something more than 10 times over the stated budget is just kind of obnoxious, especially since there are plenty of good options for well under that price.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    O/P you can get into a Nikon P-Tactical .223 for close to your price point. Coated optics and lifetime warranty.

Your $100 price point is limiting you to Barska/BSA/Leatherwood type junk. I once had a Millet DMS that was a solid scope for a low budget scope but they are over your budget. Nikon, Millett and lower end Bushnell is what I'd try to find on sale to hit your price and get something that's actually usable.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I understand,

As a 25 year old in the process of buying a home, handling old medical debt, and still attempting to uphold a hobby that would be considered spendy by most standards, I think I do alright.

I appreciate your input on the model, it's still experience and opine. Maybe someday when my expenses are not so divided, I will be able to say the same. I rarely indulge in the Sin items.

Your rhetoric is right, and it's something that is overlooked by so many. But, I assure you, my intentions were to see if it was worthwhile, I learned and understand even more so at this point.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That’s not “affordable,” that’s garbage.

That's pretty ironic coming from the guy who suggested a $1,200 scope. Then again you claim to live in poverty but you have $1,200+ to spend on strippers and drinks

For sitting on a bench and shooting at paper 100 yards away my garbage scope does quite well. I don't lie to myself and act like I've got a Nightforce or even a Strike Eagle, but it's about as affordable as it gets, and it holds zero. The OP asked about $100 scopes; I provided my experience with a $100 scope.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Budget clearly means different things to different people. Also everyone has different purposes and uses for their rifles. If I was spending a year in Afghanistan I might pick different than a rifle riding around in a patrol car. Truth is there are a lot of good choices out there for every budget. If someone likes the Razor the Viper PST Gen II is close for just a touch over $500 and is pretty damn nice. I just got one today from Optics Planet after I was having second thoughts about my Primary Arms Raptor and thought I'd send it back as soon as I got it. Now I'm torn, the Raptor is FFP, and the ACSS reticle makes distance and wind shots without much thought. The Viper though is clearly the Razor's little brother with crystal clear glass and a reticle that is just about Aimpoint bright. I picked the MRAD reticle, with a 50/200yd zero the first and second mil is about 300 / 400 so again hold overs should be easy (although only at max power).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    On that topic. I know the differences of FFP and SFP. For a newbie, would you go FFP or SFP. Im leaning Second, but no idea of the true benefits in real world application.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast