Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget LVPO options?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    Man, the LPV game is one area where you truly get what you pay for! Potentially more than most other things in the gun world.

My background, just so you’ll understand where I’m coming from, is in LEO Training. I am a full time instructor at a very large Sheriff’s department. About two years ago, we got very serious about getting LPV’s on our Officer’s rifles. We have approximately 1500 rifle carriers on the dept, so we are not little. In preparation for what optics we were going to approve, we (instructor staff) started buying, begging, collecting, and T&Eing anything we could get our hands on. I have had time on almost every LPV on the market, and go to SHOT every year. Another benefit of being an Officer in Las Vegas. I have literally watched the market explode over the last couple years in LPV’s.

I will offer my opinion, for what it’s worth. But understand, I’m looking at it as a duty grade, lives at risk proposition. First off: GET THE BEST YOU CAN AFFORD. It will pay dividends in the end, and greatly cut down on your disappointment. Bad optics (think Millet, Super Sniper etc) will give you a headache, and cause eye strain. You will come away with a bad taste for LPV’s, and it won’t be wrong, it will be preventable. The Vortex Razor was IMO, the king of the hill until recently. It was the best glass, fov, good reticle, best cost in the upper end category. Yes, the Kahles was better glass, but it was more $$, and harder to get ahold of, and didn’t offer enough more that most guys could justify it. I think the new NF options are the newest, BEST there is. They are lighter, have FANTASTIC brightness, excellent reticles, are FFP in a Reticle that’s designed to be a good FFP, and don’t have a huge footprint on the gun. They are seriously the best out there currently. Downside is cost. They aren’t cheap, but the quality is insane. Watch the NF torture test. Aaron at Sage Dynamics threw his NX8 off a two story building then shot it at 100 yds. No loss of zero. However, these scopes are absolutely geared towards the military/LEO market, guys that are very hard on equipment, but it HAS to work.
    Next option is the Primary arms Platinum series. Made by LOW in Japan. Same company that makes Vortex Razor, several NF scopes, and Leupold MK6 and MK8. Excellent glass, fantastic reticles, really top shell optics. More affordable than the NF, and probably 80% as good. Really worth a look. Next would be the Primary Arms non Platinum line. We’ve had them, really shot them....a bunch. Never had one fail. Same awesome reticles. All in all, I think this is where most guys should be looking. Very affordable, but some excellent offerings.
    The Vortex Strike Buzzard.....I mean Eagle. No, just no. Only scope we’ve seen fail. And not just one......FOUR of them. When you look at the numbers that Vortex sells, the failure rate probably isn’t that high.....until it’s on your gun when it does. Sure, “The Warranty”..... I know, but that does you no good when you’re out hunting, competing in a match, or just enjoying an afternoon with your wife and kids. The best warranty is one you never use. I’m not a Vortex hater AT ALL. I had a Razor 1-6 for years. Still have a Razor sporting scope. I feel like Vortex should be two companies, one is the Razor, below that is everything else. It’s that bad.

So, these are my ramblings. If you have any questions about specific optics, hit me up, chances are very good I have been behind it. I am currently running a NF ATACR 1-8, a NF NX8 1-8, and a Primary Arms Platinum 1-8. You can see where my opinions translate to my wallet. But, when I’m working an overwatch assignment where I’m responsible for crowd protection and my rifle HAS to work, NightForce.
    How did the Viper PST gen II 1-6 fair in your opinion?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    I am currently running a NF ATACR 1-8, a NF NX8 1-8, and a Primary Arms Platinum 1-8.
    Is the greater cost, weight & size of the ATACR worth the squeeze over the NX8?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MStarmer View Post
    How did the Viper PST gen II 1-6 fair in your opinion?
    The million dollar question.
    I will have mine mounted up today, and I anticipate spending several hours on it. It is, quite literally, on the Fed Ex truck, and out for delivery. I don’t have any classes, or any academy to teach today.

As a side note, the NX8 is the HEAT. I sold my Razor 1-6 when I got it. It’s that good..my buddy, shooting a PA Platinum 1-8, and me, shooting my NF, were pounding steel at 850yds yesterday. Speer 75gr Gold Dots and 16” Noveske’s. The weather was BEAUTIFUL, and virtually no wind. I’m super surprised how much vertical adjustment my NX8 has. I dialed up to 13 mils, and didn’t max the scope out. To get to 850, I dialed 10.5 mils I believe. Held a mil for wind.
    For these folks saying the dot is too big, it’s a “Minute of Bad Guy” scope, not a “Precision” rig. The reticle is fantastic for its intended use.

I’ll come back tomorrow with my thoughts on the ATACR 1-8.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Damn Vegas, really bringing this thread to full circle. I will heed your advice. I will look at the platinum lines, and, while it may be next tax time, I will for sure look at an NF with that review.

ETA: Just wanted to really clarify how much I appreciate you taking the time to type that up. Your experience and time is valuable, I appreciate you spending some of it here.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 05-23-18 at 15:39.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Vegasshooter,

What are your thoughts on NX8 vs Kahles K16i w/ SM1 reticle? Asking about all aspects generally regarded in LPVO’s but mainly curious on your thoughts about how easy it is picking up the reticle on 1x without illumination?

I picked up the K16i and have an NX8 on the way for comparison, so I’ll be able to form my own opinions soon, but you have a lot more experience.

The LPVO that I have been shooting with is the SWFA SS 1-6x as I mentioned above. Kahles definitely outperforms it in FOV, eyebox, clarity, and light gathering (low light)...but that’s to be expected from an optic that costs twice as much. I will say that the eyebox (forgiveness) in the SWFA was closer to K16i than I expected.

For me, the biggest disappointment in the K16i is the reticle. I like a bold reticle that can be easily picked up in different lighting conditions with different backgrounds, WITHOUT illumination. I don’t want to rely on a battery to give me a usable reticle. In my opinion, the SM1 donut portion of the reticle is pretty fine and hard to pick up quickly without illumination. Add to that, that it’s not really a black reticle but some sort of light brownish-gold reflective color that doesn’t stand out as well on different backgrounds. The illumination is brilliant and is obviously a different ballgame when on, but the truth is, I pick up the SWFA reticle much faster even with the lesser grade of glass, FOV, ect.

Any thoughts on that?

ETA: Sorry Heru, these definitely aren’t budget scopes (aside from maybe the SWFA) but hopefully this discussion gives you some things to consider in your search.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 05-23-18 at 17:47.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    No need to apologize, all the conversation and rhetoric certainly helps my education.

I figured I would be looking at 500-1k.

I had hoped though. Haha.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Let me swim against the current here.

I initially thought the 1-8 would be “da chit” for an AR10 type carbine.
    I had/have both the Trijicon and PAs Platinum 1-8’s.

Realistically the weight/size didn’t add up to the minimal increase in performance over a good 1-6 for me.
    My conclusion was; a 2-10X/2.5-12.5X was much more useable, in a similar weight and price range to a 1-8X.

I currently use 1-6X on AR carbines if I feel the need for the additional 2X over a 1-4X and am using 2-10 or 2.5-12.5’s on SPR type guns.
    On a precision AR10 I’ve gone to a 3-15X.

This is entirely subjective, but my take was the 1-8X was neither “fish nor fowl”.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Vegasshooter,
    Thanks for the excellent write-up, and for sharing your experience.
    The reticle on the PA Platinum 1-8 is very nice, I'm liking that. How is the illumination under bright daytime conditions?
    Pat
    Where violence is the local language, be fluent.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The Lume on my PA Platinum 1-8x is visible in bright sun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Let me swim against the current here.

I initially thought the 1-8 would be “da chit” for an AR10 type carbine.
    I had/have both the Trijicon and PAs Platinum 1-8’s.

Realistically the weight/size didn’t add up to the minimal increase in performance over a good 1-6 for me.
    My conclusion was; a 2-10X/2.5-12.5X was much more useable, in a similar weight and price range to a 1-8X.

I currently use 1-6X on AR carbines if I feel the need for the additional 2X over a 1-4X and am using 2-10 or 2.5-12.5’s on SPR type guns.
    On a precision AR10 I’ve gone to a 3-15X.

This is entirely subjective, but my take was the 1-8X was neither “fish nor fowl”.
    I am actually trying to decide between the 2 right now for 3 gun.
    Perhaps I will look at lighter 1-6 scope now....

Any scopes you would recommend?
    Last edited by coctomus; 05-23-18 at 21:00.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast