Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aero muzzle brake

Feedback Score

Question Aero muzzle brake

Anyone have experience with this brake? They're promoting it for a 14.5" barrel but I'm wondering about it on other lengths too, shorter mainly.

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/vg6-epsilon-556sl.html
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I had the original Epsilon on a 14.7 pinned barrel. As a brake, it did a nice job. Very flat shooting. I don't know about shorter barrels though, might be a bit angry.

Feedback Score
    I recently installed VG6 Gamma (https://aeroprecisionusa.com/vg6-gamma-556.html) on 11,5" barrel and so far I'm pleased. Not very "blasty". Some people recommended it for SBRs on competition forums. Also manufacturer recommends if for SBRs. I went with EX version have more material to work with for retreading (my rifle has M15x1 muzzle tread).

Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I don't recommend putting ANY 2 port brake on a serious use SBR despite what the mfg claims are. Less blasty compared to what? A turbine jet engine? A titan brake?
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 05-08-18 at 18:07.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDB View Post
    Anyone have experience with this brake? They're promoting it for a 14.5" barrel but I'm wondering about it on other lengths too, shorter mainly.

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/vg6-epsilon-556sl.html
    The one you linked to is recommended for a 14.5" barrel because it is long enough to make it 16" and small enough diameter that a 3/4" gas block will slip over it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Less blasty compared to what? A turbine jet engine? A titan brake?
    I did not use word "less", but instead "not very". If you want to compare, then no more than Lantac Dragon on 14.5" barrel and definitely less than SJC Titan on 14.5" barrel. I actually asked some ROs on their experience (they are more to the side most of the time) and general comments were that comparable to other brakes on 14.5" an longer barrels. I know that there are brakes that really make a huge blast on short barrels. I had GoGun Supercomp on 9.4" Mini Beryl. I know how loud and blasty it can get.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have probably established myself as not being fond of brakes for some applications but that's not my purpose this time

When I see a muzzle brake with a flash hider "after" I always kinda crack an inner smile. Seems like closing the barn door after the cows are out and the few I've seen confirmed it. As most of what I see is in class and we don't allow brakes in class, I do lack experience with everything that's out there. General consensus, on something like this, would anything change if you sawed off the flash hider at the end?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I have probably established myself as not being fond of brakes for some applications but that's not my purpose this time

When I see a muzzle brake with a flash hider "after" I always kinda crack an inner smile. Seems like closing the barn door after the cows are out and the few I've seen confirmed it. As most of what I see is in class and we don't allow brakes in class, I do lack experience with everything that's out there. General consensus, on something like this, would anything change if you sawed off the flash hider at the end?
    The only thing sawing the tines off would accomplish making it shorter and not legal on a 14.5. I get a kick out of marketing ploys too. Are you old enough to remember J.C.Whitney. You could get 20% horsepower gain from a set of spark plugs, another 20% from an air cleaner, another 20% from oil, another 20% from a glasspack muffler and another 20% from a fuel additive. Hell, for a hundred bucks you could double your horsepower! Jokes aside.. I have a Gamma on a 16" barrel. Not as loud as some and flatter shooting than most.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I don't recommend putting ANY 2 port brake on a serious use SBR despite what the mfg claims are. Less blasty compared to what? A turbine jet engine? A titan brake?
    You don't put a brake on a rifle to make it quieter, you put one on to eliminate jump. 90% of the mods discussed on this site would be a liability on a serious use rifle IMO. For a serious rifle give me an overgassed MK18. I don't care where the spent brass lands!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post

I’ve often thought of this, myself. Makes no sense to me.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast