Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BRT EzTune Gas Tubes

Feedback Score

BRT EzTune Gas Tubes

Recently got two of the new EZTUNE gas tubes to try out so thought I'd do a quick rundown on them now that I've had a chance to put a couple rounds through the rifles.

On the left:
    BCM upper, BCG, rail. Ballistic Advantage 10.3 Hanson barrel. Griffin Armament M4SDII comp. Carbine buffer and spring for testing. 0.071 gas tube

On the right:
    BCM upper, BCG, rail. Ballistic Advantage 10.3 Hanson barrel. Ran 100% suppressed with the Hybrid Silencer with Key-mo mount. Carbine buffer and spring for testing. 0.0635 gas tube

Good news is the gas tubes definitely cut down gas like they are supposed to. Although I went too small on the port sizes for each one.

The unsuppressed rifle was failing to pick up a new round about a third of the time and wouldn't lock the bolt back. The suppressed rifle would pick up a new round most of the time but failed to lock the bolt back about 70% of the time. They did shoot really nice and soft though...

Swapped the .071 over to the suppressed gun and will be taking it back out soon. Will probably leave the other stock for now and play with buffers a little.

Pretty happy with tubes overall as they did the job they were supposed to. Just off on the port sizes, which isn't a big deal. Still a bit worried about the longevity of the drilled port though. Just can't see that thin wall holding up to the flame for very long, might be better with some kind of thicker machined insert inside the tube? I'm no an engineer though so maybe Clint can give some more insight on this.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If I recall, once the gasses hit the Gas Port milled into the barrel they go from Supersonic down to subsonic pretty quickly.

I am certainly no engineer, but there have been discussions on why the gas port erodes but the rest stays pretty "normal" unless under high amounts of heat.

Nonetheless, thanks for sharing, cool stuff to see for sure. Quite an innovative product.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    OP,

What ammunition was used and how many rounds fired per rifle during your evaluation?
    Confirming "Carbine" (vs. "H", "H2", etc?) buffer used with each rifle? Brand/source of buffers?
    Buffer springs - new springs or previously used (OAL length of spring) and brand/source of spring?
    Magazines used during your evaluation?

Feedback Score
    Would probably drive up the price quite a bit, but one could always make it out of Inconel if the gas erosion is that big a concern.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tx1021 View Post
    Recently got two of the new EZTUNE gas tubes to try out so thought I'd do a quick rundown on them now that I've had a chance to put a couple rounds through the rifles.

On the left:
    BCM upper, BCG, rail. Ballistic Advantage 10.3 Hanson barrel. Griffin Armament M4SDII comp. Carbine buffer and spring for testing. 0.071 gas tube

On the right:
    BCM upper, BCG, rail. Ballistic Advantage 10.3 Hanson barrel. Ran 100% suppressed with the Hybrid Silencer with Key-mo mount. Carbine buffer and spring for testing. 0.0635 gas tube

Good news is the gas tubes definitely cut down gas like they are supposed to. Although I went too small on the port sizes for each one.

The unsuppressed rifle was failing to pick up a new round about a third of the time and wouldn't lock the bolt back. The suppressed rifle would pick up a new round most of the time but failed to lock the bolt back about 70% of the time. They did shoot really nice and soft though...

Swapped the .071 over to the suppressed gun and will be taking it back out soon. Will probably leave the other stock for now and play with buffers a little.

Pretty happy with tubes overall as they did the job they were supposed to. Just off on the port sizes, which isn't a big deal. Still a bit worried about the longevity of the drilled port though. Just can't see that thin wall holding up to the flame for very long, might be better with some kind of thicker machined insert inside the tube? I'm no an engineer though so maybe Clint can give some more insight on this.
    Your gas port sizes if you were running a barrel with those ports would function without flaw. .071 is the crane spec for the Mk18. Works without flaw on many different ammo and buffer/spring combos.

I also have a few from Clint, but as these are the prototype, with it just being the modified standard tube, I see gas bleeding out of the large hole on the top out of the block. This may be your issue currently. I have not put many rounds through them yet, but I do see differences.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    OP,

What ammunition was used and how many rounds fired per rifle during your evaluation?
    Confirming "Carbine" (vs. "H", "H2", etc?) buffer used with each rifle? Brand/source of buffers?
    Buffer springs - new springs or previously used (OAL length of spring) and brand/source of spring?
    Magazines used during your evaluation?
    -Ammunition was a mix of Federal and IMI XM193.

-Fired about 120 rounds through the suppressed rifle and only about 30 through the unsuppressed since it was having such consistent failures.

-Standard, cheap, Carbine buffers from Palmetto State Armory (weighs in at 2.95oz on my scale).

-PSA for the springs as well, measures 10.75 inches uncompressed and neither has more than 500 rounds on them.

-Magazines were a mix of BCM branded D&H with the Magpul followers, Lancers, and Gen 2 Pmags. All known to be good mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    Your gas port sizes if you were running a barrel with those ports would function without flaw. .071 is the crane spec for the Mk18. Works without flaw on many different ammo and buffer/spring combos.

I also have a few from Clint, but as these are the prototype, with it just being the modified standard tube, I see gas bleeding out of the large hole on the top out of the block. This may be your issue currently. I have not put many rounds through them yet, but I do see differences.
    They are definitely bleeding some gas out of the top. Not sure if that is what is contributing or if there are some weird Bernoulli principles at work going from a small high velocity port to a relatively open chamber (between the barrel and gas tube) back through a small high velocity port.
    Last edited by tx1021; 05-11-18 at 09:59.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Where is the tube choked down to .071", etc? The entire tube? Or just near the port?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Where is the tube choked down to .071", etc? The entire tube? Or just near the port?
    Right above the port in the barrel.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    So you could ream the ones you have out to get them just right?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    How is the fit of the tube in the gas block?

That could be contributing to the under gassing.

We've seen almost no evidence of bleeding out the top with a tight fitting gas block.

In our limited testing, the required port sizes are a close match to those in the barrel.
    Last edited by Clint; 05-11-18 at 17:21.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast