Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? on butt-pad

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

? on butt-pad

Have a M4-style buttstock with pistol grip and looking for butt-pad. The upper is .458 SOCOM and the recoil is just a tad too much for my 14 year old grandson.

Looking for suggestions on a butt-pad.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The ones I used in football should cushion the fall...

I kid, I kid...

In all seriousness, I had a cheapo Butler Creek tat fit over the M4 stock when I was teaching a couple of the younger kids. I knew it wouldn't do much for the .223 recoil, but it made them feel better. Me? I used it on the Nagant. It pushed my LOP out to the right distance and kept the bruises down from the metal man plate.

ETA: For the record, I did have to remove the sling swivel off the stock of mine for it to fit.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 05-12-18 at 12:14.

Feedback Score
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    My first suggestion is to let the kid shoot something less punishing. I cannot imagine him enjoying having his brains beat out! Second suggestion... Let him shoot something that really kicks like like a 7 pound 300WM mountain rifle. He will beg for the 458 back after that. 3rd would be a Kick-Eez pad glued to the M4 stock and get him a vest like the shotgun guys use. Browning makes one with a gel pad. Maybe try the vest before foolin with the pad.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    My first suggestion is to let the kid shoot something less punishing. I cannot imagine him enjoying having his brains beat out! Second suggestion... Let him shoot something that really kicks like like a 7 pound 300WM mountain rifle. He will beg for the 458 back after that. 3rd would be a Kick-Eez pad glued to the M4 stock and get him a vest like the shotgun guys use. Browning makes one with a gel pad. Maybe try the vest before foolin with the pad.
    Bam, my thoughts as well. Don't you have a 5.56 upper.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Bam, my thoughts as well. Don't you have a 5.56 upper.
    Exactly. When I was born my father's occupation was professional baseball player. I grew up trying to hit 90 mph fastballs. I'll never forget getting baseball shoved down my throat. I have NO interest in baseball to this day. The OP needs to teach the kid to shoot (If he is qualified to do it) with a gun appropriate for the kid.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    Have a M4-style buttstock with pistol grip and looking for butt-pad. The upper is .458 SOCOM and the recoil is just a tad too much for my 14 year old grandson.

Looking for suggestions on a butt-pad.

Thanks
    I'm not saying the grandson should keep shooting the 458 if he doesn't want to. But get rid of the M4 style buttstock. It is the worst AR stock design when it comes to recoil. Get something like the Magpul CTR and the thickest pad for it. That will make for more comfortable shooting, whether the shooter is an adult or child, or the caliber is light recoiling or a real thumper.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I'm not saying the grandson should keep shooting the 458 if he doesn't want to. But get rid of the M4 style buttstock. It is the worst AR stock design when it comes to recoil. Get something like the Magpul CTR and the thickest pad for it. That will make for more comfortable shooting, whether the shooter is an adult or child, or the caliber is light recoiling or a real thumper.
    Another good point, the standard M4 stock not good for such a thumper.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the suggestions, I have a Caldwell Field Shield for him. https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-3500...SIN=B0009TRNRK

Forgot about the Magpul CTR, great suggestion.

As for why 458 vs 5.56, the .458 is for a hog hunting trip to SC. Yes, plenty hogs taken with 5.56, those are experienced shooters with precision shot placement. With his current skill level and the .458 SOCOM upper collecting dust, perfect time to put it to work.

Again thanks
    Last edited by platoonDaddy; 05-13-18 at 14:39.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, I have a Caldwell Field Shield for him. https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-3500...SIN=B0009TRNRK

Forgot about the Magpul CTR, great suggestion.

As for why 458 vs 5.56, the .458 is for a hog hunting trip to SC. Yes, plenty hogs of been taken with 5.56, those are experienced shooters with precision shot placement. With his current skill level and the .458 SOCOM upper collecting dust, perfect time to put it to work.

Again thanks
    Where in SC?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast