Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is this staking enough?

Feedback Score
    This thread made me go over and check my AR with a similar castle nut. My stakes aren't much better so I am going to move some more metal and call it good. I have expensive QD plates so I won't be shooing for pretty this time, only functional. I wasted about $60 trying to get those internet pretty stakes. I use the wasted money stakes to practice my hammer and stake skills on. ****. I am bad at this. I need IG to come to Michigan soon.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Jaysus, just go shoot the fracking thing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    He can just go shoot it, I do applaud that the OP asks about it, maybe some members learned something they didn't know before. Speaking for myself, every time Iraqguns has an opinion, it's a learning opportunity, and for free.

I had mostly seen these ridiculous castle nuts on DD ARs, and my opinion of them has always been "shallow oval depression a staking notch does not make" In spec notches are angled for good reasons, whether the original designers realized it or not. A shallow depression makes it hard to displace material from the end plate to the "notch". All the while, I don't think a properly made castle nut, (doesn't have to be 4140 PH billet, black nitrided castle nut expensive and over built) doesn't cost more to make than these out of spec castle nuts. So why not do it right, unless they're in the same category as Strike Industries that don't shoot or know the weapon they're ruining.
    Last edited by Duffy; 05-15-18 at 20:02.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowCommand View Post
    Jaysus, just go shoot the fracking thing.
    To me, that's like telling someone to just buy a PSA and go shoot it. "it's just as good as it goes bang every time I've ever used it."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    This thread made me go over and check my AR with a similar castle nut. My stakes aren't much better so I am going to move some more metal and call it good. I have expensive QD plates so I won't be shooing for pretty this time, only functional. I wasted about $60 trying to get those internet pretty stakes. I use the wasted money stakes to practice my hammer and stake skills on. ****. I am bad at this. I need IG to come to Michigan soon.
    Several of mine looked the same as well. Time to stake.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    To me, that's like telling someone to just buy a PSA and go shoot it. "it's just as good as it goes bang every time I've ever used it."

Not gonna know if you don't put it through the wringer...

Experience....it's the slow internet.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Staking is to ensure the nut doesn't unduly come undone. Having several old style locking rings come loose, I hate these things, it's hard to torque them and there's no way to stake them.

Staking the castle nut in two places is a good idea, something some manufacturers still haven't come to appreciate as important. As end users, folks can do as they wish with their property. Unstaked castle nut out of the factory is inexcusable.
    Last edited by Duffy; 05-18-18 at 19:20.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234