Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Castle Nut Torquing

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I just snug it up pretty tight, and stake.

Works well.....
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    Bev block will be fine. A magwell holder will also work just fine. Just support it with ur hard while doing s proper torque. And use the anti seize. And stake in 2 places. It will be good. You would be surprised how many top manufacturers for properly torque the castle nut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigwelder1971 View Post
    I lock the lower between my knees and crank it down. I've not had one come loose yet. Ymmv.
    Same here. Never had. onetime loose.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I just snug it up pretty tight, and stake.
    Same here.

Cheers, Steve

Feedback Score
    I never used a torque wrench, I just use a good quality armorers wrench and tighten it down as hard as I can and stake it twice.

Feedback Score
    The magpul block worked fine. I torqued it properly then staked it. Thank you all for the advice.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    For everyone who has never seen it come loose, I have. I actually called Iraqguns and spoke to him about it. It is a bad ju-ju deal when it happens. Your gun is 100% down, and you’re out of the fight. Guess I’m saying: tighten em up, and stake them well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't understand how your gun goes 100% down, guaranteed (at least that what it sounds like you are saying).

I understand if it comes loose and allows your receiver extension to rotate a completish revolution you might get the buffer detent and spring into place as debris that could potentially hang something up.

You also might lose your rear take down pin detent and spring if the end plate is turned enough.

But none of those are warstoppers.

What am I missing?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I don't understand how your gun goes 100% down, guaranteed (at least that what it sounds like you are saying).

I understand if it comes loose and allows your receiver extension to rotate a completish revolution you might get the buffer detent and spring into place as debris that could potentially hang something up.

You also might lose your rear take down pin detent and spring if the end plate is turned enough.

But none of those are warstoppers.

What am I missing?
    Buffer could bind, retainer pin or parts can bind up fcg. That said, i had a gun that loosened. Checking every couple mags worked until i upgraded the buffer and tube and got a wrench.

The tighter, the more rounds until it comes loose. Its now staked.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I found the tip of my broken retaining pin inside the trigger group, it stopped the gun from working, it didn't take long for the broken part to end up in the only cavity it could find. This wasn't a result of an unstaked castle nut, but the effect would have been the same or worse, the buffer retaining pin in its entirely, plus the spring, would have been a bigger problem than the tip of the retaining pin.

I believe Iraqgunz and Ash Hess (author of the latest TM) on the importance of torquing the castle nut properly and staking it in two places. My own experience with unstaked castle nuts and old style locking rings that can't be staked had taught me as much.

Little things are important. Staking shouldn't be considered a little thing.

The slew of end plate and nut combination products that go out of their way so no staking is necessary are not a step forward in my opinion, unless you need to swap out your RE all the time.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast