Thread: Noveske NSR Material Change?

Feedback Score

Noveske NSR Material Change?

My memory is unclear but I could've sworn the NQR and NSR rails were always made of "6061 T6". However, Noveske's site is now stating the NSR (keymod) is "6005 T6", the NSR (Mlock) "6005 T5", and the NQR is "6005 T5"!

Has Noveske downgraded their material choice for their handguards or is this a typo?
    An email to Noveske has been sent.
    Last edited by DirtDiver06; 05-14-18 at 19:07.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiver06 View Post
    My memory is unclear but I could've sworn the NQR and NSR rails were always made of "6061 T6". However, Noveske's site is now stating the NSR (keymod) is "6005 T6", the NSR (Mlock) "6005 T5", and the NQR is "6005 T5"!

Has Noveske downgraded their material choice for their handguards or is this a typo?
    Probably just a change of supplier. 6005-T6 isn't really a downgrade compared to 6061-T6 for end-user purposes (very similar strength, toughness, etc.), I believe it has some advantages on the manufacturing side, such as being easier to machine and finish.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 05-14-18 at 19:17.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Probably just a change of supplier. 6005-T6 isn't really a downgrade compared to 6061-T6 for end-user purposes (very similar strength, toughness, etc.), I believe it has some advantages on the manufacturing side, such as being easier to machine and finish.
    Like you said. where they differ the difference is small. Bar graph comparison>>> https://www.makeitfrom.com/compare/6...61-T6-Aluminum

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiver06 View Post

I wonder if it extrudes easier or something. It does seem odd they would go in a different direction than the rest of the industry, but it is always possible they didn't know the manufacturer had made the change until it was too late. The other question would be price of material, and I have zero idea with todays pricing which material is cheaper.

Please update us when you get an answer.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    As I understand it, 6005 is easier to extrude. CMT Tactical has been using it for their rails since they were introduced.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bruin View Post
    As I understand it, 6005 is easier to extrude. CMT Tactical has been using it for their rails since they were introduced.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
    Lantac also uses 6005 for their SPADA handguards.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Noveske hasn't responded to my email and I doubt they will.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Noveske NSR Material Change?

Noveske to me has always been a cool name and logo, but assemblers of someone else’s parts with their name on it.

If you’re dead set on Noveske, SMOS will give you the EXACT same rail (and receiver sets) and their website still says it’s 6061, that’s only if you’re dead set on owning it. Plus they are cheaper in price.

There’s reasons to steer clear of SMOS these days. Their products are still great, but I won’t get into anything more than that.
    Last edited by JulyAZ; 05-19-18 at 00:38.