Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive muzzle device recommendations

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Wait for an A2. The SJ device weighs over 4 ounces. Do you really want to hang 4 ounces on the end of the barrel?
    4 oz?? That's like 3oz too much.

Feedback Score
    It's 3.28 ounces.

A standard A2 is just shy of 2oz.

One of the advantages of being low speed/high-hairlineirline is that I don't really care much about an extra ounce here or there.

Having said that, I don't see the point in spending four times as much for a heavier device that doesn't really do much for me. Looking like it's going to be A2 all the way
    Last edited by pubb; 05-16-18 at 08:08.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    OP, I've been pleased with the Strike Industries J-Comp. It's inexpensive ($30), noticeably reduces muzzle climb, and is similar to A2 for flash. HTH.

Feedback Score
    I've bought a few of those el cheapo three chamber brakes from Amazon, not light or compact but it's a proven design. Not sure what they go for now but I got a 5.56 phosphate for $18 and a stainless 7.62 for $28.

My favorite is still the A2 though, for overall performance. The only device I ever put on an AR that REALLY made a significant difference to me was the JP tank brake. But too big n heavy for anything other than bench use.

I've bought a few goodies from Strike Industries and they're good quality at knockoff prices IMHO. No doubt their muzzle devices would be too.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    A2, or the symmetrical A1, are both great, small, light, cheap options. You can get the A2 almost anywhere.

If you want something that just looks different, I would get a longer open-prong flash hider like the AAC Blackout or many others of similar design.

Feedback Score
    Going with the S & J linear compensator. LGS gave me a deal - doubt he made a nickel on the muzzle device and kept the rest of the order from going to an online vendor.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pubb View Post
    I am finishing up a build based on a colt 14.5 inch M4 SOCOM barrel.

I have always used standard bird cage muzzle devices, but the local shop is out and has an S&J hardware linear compensator for about $50. The same shop sells the bird cage for $12.

My general philosophy is to spend my money on parts that enhance accuracy, utility/durability, and looks in that order. This is a range toy, and I am not a high-speed/low drag operator (in fact, I'm low-speed/high hairline). That being said, I like the simple and distinct look of the S&J device. I can see no obvious benefit to spending the money on it as opposed to putting that $40 towards a better trigger.

What say you, hive mind? What are my high-value low cost options for muzzle devices?

EDIT: barrel length isn't a concern - I don't have to get it to 16"
    A2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    For as much money guys are willing to dump in to their AR, it seems quite common to see the A2 recommendation. I’m a fan. They seem like a well rounded device.

Feedback Score
    I can see the appeal: it's cheap, effective, and not at all controversial. Besides, we're all too maxxed out from buying captured spring buffers; barrels with rifling cut using diamond-edged tools and hand-lapped by Belgian monks, cryogenically treated in Superman's Fortress of Solitude; optics that allow you see how precisely you missed the target because you spent all your money on the rifle instead of the ammo which would allow you to shoot it.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    IMO, linear comps don't do anything particularly well. They don't comp well and they don't really subdue muzzle flash that well. If an A2 and a LC were sitting on the table and I had to choose one (and couldn't sell it), I'd take the A2. I use comps in 3gun, and hardly anyone uses them, I know one guy that uses one, but his rifle weighs like 10-11 lbs. so it's pretty much functioning as a thread protector.
    Pretty much this. They also increase backpressure on your already slightly overgassed barrel. Sometimes this is a good thing, like putting a noveske pig on a 13.7" mid but not a good idea on standard barrel lengths.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast