I did a search and didn't find this answered here, and have somewhat inconclusive information from other sites after a web search.

I have read elsewhere that the P229 in 9mm has two different types of magazine, a slimmer one before "E2" changes, and a wider one (with stamped-in channels) after the E2 mod, because they apparently went to the .40/357 SIG frame for the 9mm at that point and it apparently has a wider magwell. I further read that the pre-E2 magazines will fit in the newer frame but are excessively loose to the point of being a reliability issue.

I would like to know:

1) If all P226 models, old, middle-aged and the latest ones with "E2" changes, use the same magazines, or if there are two different widths for the P226 now. I can't find any pre- and post-E2 differentiated magazines for the 226, so far.

2) If all of the .40 S&W P229s (both early and E2) use the same magazine, which is implied by what I read elsewhere and repeated above.

3) Are P226 magazines compatible with the P229 in the equivalent caliber? Most companies do this, but the apparent change in magazine width makes me wonder. If not, does the .40 S&W P226 have a narrower magwell than the .40 P229, or do the 9mm and .40 P226s use different magwell sizes?

Thanks in advance!