Thread: Thoughts on New AR15 Build

Feedback Score

Thoughts on New AR15 Build

I'm looking starting my first ar15 build.

The Build:
    LMT Defender 2000 M4 Complete Lower with Std. Trigger
    AR-15 16" M4 FLAT TOP COMPLETE UPPER WITH TROY PACKAGE .223/5.56

Some Accessories:
    Eotech MPO
    Magpul ACS Stock
    30 Round Magpul PMag
    Tango Down vertical grip
    Ambidextrous safty

What are your thoughts on this build?
    Thanks
    Last edited by VegasM4; 04-05-10 at 03:58.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

How about BCM?

I would personally start with a BCM upper/BCG and shop for a used rail later on. The Troy BUIS would definitley be on the short list though.

J&T customer service told me they used Wilson CM barrels when I called them in January.
    Last edited by Kiznelly; 04-08-10 at 01:05. Reason: add content

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    the barrel is bottom of the barrel.. where are they getting their bolts?

the LMT lower is a good thing.. but i'd rather have a questionable lower than a questionable upper, by a long shot, if those are my only options.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

+1 on BCM

You can get a much nicer complete upper from BCM for just a little more.

You want to make sure that you're getting

- a chrome-lined bore and chamber (not the same as chrome-moly), unless you want stainless for a precision application

- a properly staked gas key

- a 1:7 twist barrel is preferable unless you intend to shoot < 55 gr bullets...it stabilizes the heavier grains more effectively, and won't hurt you to shoot the std. 55 gr .223 stuff

- a high pressure proofed/magnetic particle inspected bolt and barrel

- proper "F" marked front sight base for carbines, if you want a fixed one (means it's the right height for a shorter barrel... some manufacturers will use M16A2 height FSBs, which are designed for 20" barrels.)

- a mid-length gas system is milder recoil and more optimally tuned for a 16" barrel than a carbine length gas system, which is more optimally tuned for a 14.5" M4 barrel.

It also doesn't look like that quad rail is free floated...if you're going to put a rail on it, free float that sucker.

Also, it seems to have the M203 cut on the barrel, but is it turned down under the handguards? Heavy barrels are a pain to use for any extended period of time. (I know...my first rifle has one.)

Does the bolt group have the proper extractor spring insert for a carbine (black instead of the blue for the M16?)

Sorry for the length of the epistle...I learned a lot about ARs the hard way from having a less than up to spec rifle off the rack and reading up on what it should have been...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    DanielDefense or BCM for the upper would be a fantastic choice - can get those from BC-USA, G&R, GTS (with installed rail of your choice).

Mixing and matching isn't against the rules - my newest lightweight from G&R is a DD Barreled Upper, Sabre A2X Hider, TROY Rail and sights; running a BCM Charging handle and Bolt Carrier Group.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister