Thread: Aimpoint Micro Mounts for the MP5

Feedback Score

Question Aimpoint Micro Mounts for the MP5

I have another post going in the other semiauto rifles section. I just ordered a Zenith Z5. I plan on mounting an Aimpoint micro on it and need help,with getting both a low Picatinny rail and mount to work with the iron signts (1/3 cowitness would be nice).

QD mount (made my Larue or ADM)? I would like QD capability rather than screw the mount to the rail itself.

I found this B&T rail to replace the Picatinny:

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/B-T-...t-91p16862.htm

This looks like it was made for an Aimpoint direct mount (weaver style). I will have to call them and ask. Aimpoint also makes a low LRP mount: https://shop.opticsplanet.com/aimpoi...SABEgKzAfD_BwE

It looks lower than the ADM or Larue. I may have to call and ask around, but if anyone here has some experience with these mounts, some input would be appreciated.

As an aside, I hope the 7.62 G3/HK 91 clones come out this year. I want one, and hope it has 5/8x24 threading to accept my SOCOM FH and suppressor.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The B&T mount you link to is the gold standard of low mount rails for MP5s and clones. It’s what I run on my ATI imported MKE (before Zenith existed to import them). The only way to get lower is to direct weld a rail section (see the new PTR guns). This mounting rail is set up for the factory Aimpoint T1/T2 low mount which screws on and gives approximately a 1/3 co-witness (a welded rail gets you almost absolute co-witness with the same mount). Any other T1/T2 mount, especially QD, gets you higher to substantially higher even when using the B&T rail. Even ~1/3 with the B&T rail and an Aimpoint low mount height mount is a little weird as the dot is effectively on the front sight hood. I had the top 1/3 of my sight hood cut away to make a more open sight picture after seeing it done on some .MIL and LE guns. I’m running a Holosun Military Model on mine (sort of T2 clone). Mine is just a fun gun to scratch the itch I’ve had for a personal one since I got to spend some quality time with a US Army issued MP5A3 in the late 80s.

If you really want to learn about these guns and their options, accessories, etc., I highly recommend the forums at HKPro. There are guys there who have forgotten more about HKs and their clones then I ever learned.
    Last edited by cdmiller; 05-16-18 at 22:49.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice.

I got the rifle Thursday afternoon. Haven’t had time to play with it yet on the range.

Mine has a standard stock. The ergonomics make me appreciate my AR-15 variants. Nothing really is as good as my ARs when it comes to ergonomics. On this Zenith clone, I feel like the irons could be an inch or two higher, so maybe I should forget about trying to achieve cowitnessing. I agree that the front sight hood needs to be cut out.

If the gun runs well, I may try an AR stock adaptor and put a Mlok Midwest industries handguard up front. I don’t feel that the sights and paint are up to HK standards to merit making it an “authentic” clone. My goal here would be to have a functional shooter with an Aimpoint H2 micro 4 MOA up top.

I’ll post pics and a report when I get a chance next weekend.