Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leupold Mark 6 gtg?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Leupold Mark 6 gtg?

I've been shopping for a higher end LPV, considering glass quality, durability, weight, and reticle among some of the most important factors for me. I'm really hoping to get into a good FFP model, so I keep finding myself looking at Leupold, but I've read about some problems they've had in the last few years. I've also read that they seem to be addressing the complaints, and have been doing better, specifically with the Mark 5 line. As I'm looking for a 1-6 or 1-8 power, I'm considering the Mark 6. Does anybody have any input on these scopes and if they're gtg, or if I should steer clear?

I'm also open to suggestions on a good alternative. I really like the Kahles 16i and may end up going that direction, but really want a FFP. NF NX8 is an option too, but I hate that they left the turrets exposed and read a bad review about the 2 MOA dot at high power that made me think a little bit about the reticle. I like the new Primary Arms Raptor, and may go that route too, but quality of glass is a biggy so I don't want to skimp.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I liked my MK6 with the CMR-W. Only got rid of it because I needed the money. Only downside is the illumination flicker, that may or may not be an issue for you. I never used it during the day, so I did not care. I shot out to 500m with it, and the BDC worked pretty well. The wind holds helped a few times as well. The eyebox can be a bit tight for some, but it never bothered me.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    I have the mark 6 and Mark 8. Both are well made optics

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    For the price imo there is nothing better than the kahles k16i. MAYBE the new ATACR 1-8 but its larger/heavier and more money.

The Razor 1-6 and the Khales k16i have the largest fov and most forgiving eyebox. Glass is better on the Khales plus its lighter and smaller. Both are daylight bright however kahles has better retickrs in my opinion. Eyebox and fov to me are most important on a lpvo due to 1x being most used setting.
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 05-18-18 at 13:15.

Feedback Score
    When my URG ships, I'm going to put a Kahles K16i on it, my first foray into LPVO. I don't mind second focal plane on a 1-6.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    If you all aren't careful, you're going to talk me right back in to the Kahles.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    What's it going on?

I like the mark 6 on a dmr type gun and Kahles for everything else. I'd like to try a swarovski z6, but specs look identical to the k16 but in a different housing/reticle. Now's the time to buy a Mark 6 though; bottom seems to have fallen out of resale. Not uncommon to score a nice used one for $1200.

I have not played with any of the 1-8s other than CQBSS

The illum flicker in the mark 1-6 is not flicker, it only appears to do so if you move your eye around the eyebox. Makes it functionally much smaller than similarly priced SFPs.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    It's going on a BCM 16" ELW MCMR free float rail with a BCM lower, A5 buffer system and SSA trigger, so my Recce/DMR style rifle.

I'm kinda considering the Sig Tango 6 too, but yeah, the big eyebox for the Kahles is the reason I keep coming back to that as a leading option. Plus, that seems to be the #1 recommended scope, so it might be time to do it while I have the funds.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr McSimon View Post
    It's going on a BCM 16" ELW MCMR free float rail with a BCM lower, A5 buffer system and SSA trigger, so my Recce/DMR style rifle.

I'm kinda considering the Sig Tango 6 too, but yeah, the big eyebox for the Kahles is the reason I keep coming back to that as a leading option. Plus, that seems to be the #1 recommended scope, so it might be time to do it while I have the funds.
    I'm about to buy an optic for a similar setup. I had it narrowed down to the Kahles and the Nightforce NX8, and have pretty much decided on the Nightforce.

I really like the Nightforce reticle (FFP) and the additional 2x at the top end is nice. The additional durability and better warranty also swayed me a little, especially at a slightly lower price.

I'm not a glass snob so while I'm sure the Kahles does have better glass (I haven't had a chance to try it), that just isn't my priority.

The NX8 seems to be getting a lot of talk about a tight eye box but using it at 1x was effortless for me and I couldn't notice much of a difference between it and the Vortex Razor Gen II when trying them back to back. I can deal with it being a little tight at 8x but I really didn't notice it too much there either.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    I'm about to buy an optic for a similar setup. I had it narrowed down to the Kahles and the Nightforce NX8, and have pretty much decided on the Nightforce.

I really like the Nightforce reticle (FFP) and the additional 2x at the top end is nice. The additional durability and better warranty also swayed me a little, especially at a slightly lower price.

I'm not a glass snob so while I'm sure the Kahles does have better glass (I haven't had a chance to try it), that just isn't my priority.

The NX8 seems to be getting a lot of talk about a tight eye box but using it at 1x was effortless for me and I couldn't notice much of a difference between it and the Vortex Razor Gen II when trying them back to back. I can deal with it being a little tight at 8x but I really didn't notice it too much there either.
    I'm astonished that you have come to that conclusion, mine was the polar opposite of mine. The NX8 was like looking through a straw compared to the Khales and Razor Gen II. Not to mention the flicker that the MK6/8 has plagues the NX8 as well at higher mag. In my opinion by making it as small as they did and making FFP they shot themselves in the foot and sacrificed the 1x...which is what most people care about in an LPVO. They're usually kept at 1x and then turned up to max for longer range stuff, which completely negates the need for FFP. BUT, by adding FFP it now has an incredibly tight eye box/fov. Jack of all trades and master of none (except size/weight).

In full disclosure I LOVE Nightforce products and use them on my work and personal rifles. I have been waiting for the NX8 for the past year and a half and was obviously disappointed. No way I could honestly recommend it over the K16i.
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 05-19-18 at 12:33.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast