Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Leupold Mark 6 gtg?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    I'm astonished that you have come to that conclusion, mine was the polar opposite of mine. The NX8 was like looking through a straw compared to the Khales and Razor Gen II. Not to mention the flicker that the MK6/8 has plagues the NX8 as well at higher mag. In my opinion by making it as small as they did and making FFP they shot themselves in the foot and sacrificed the 1x...which is what most people care about in an LPVO. They're usually kept at 1x and then turned up to max for longer range stuff, which completely negates the need for FFP. BUT, by adding FFP it now has an incredibly tight eye box/fov. Jack of all trades and master of none (except size/weight).

In full disclosure I LOVE Nightforce products and use them on my work and personal rifles. I have been waiting for the NX8 for the past year and a half and was obviously disappointed. No way I could honestly recommend it over the K16i.
    I didn't get a chance to shoot either of them, only handle them mounted to fake guns at the NRA show, so now I'm thinking maybe I didn't get a realistic impression. Reading that has me doubting myself again.

How is the durability of the Kahles? It is on the upper extreme of my budget so I really don't want to have to deal with paying out of pocket to have something fixed if it goes down. I haven't been able to find anything specific on their warranty other than that it isn't as good as Vortex/Nightforce.

I did like the Razor, but really didn't care for the reticle choices. Which reticle are you going tooth on the Kahles?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dontshakepandas; 05-19-18 at 12:47.

Feedback Score
    FFP in a 1-6x is not that important. I have trigger time behind both the Mark 6 and a Kahles (I own the Kahles), and the Kahles beats the VCOG, Mark 6 and the Razor 2 HD hands down. The SM-1 reticle will give you mil hold overs as well, and the illumination tops the others.

May I ask what gun you are putting this scope on? If you want a 1-8x, then the newer S&B 1-8x or Nightforce ATACR 1-8x34 might be worth a look if you are running a .308 gas gun and plan on shooting regularly out to 600-800 yards. I have my Kahles on my SCAR 17, but I only shoot it out to 300 yards where I live unfortunately.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr McSimon View Post
    It's going on a BCM 16" ELW MCMR free float rail with a BCM lower, A5 buffer system and SSA trigger, so my Recce/DMR style rifle.

I'm kinda considering the Sig Tango 6 too, but yeah, the big eyebox for the Kahles is the reason I keep coming back to that as a leading option. Plus, that seems to be the #1 recommended scope, so it might be time to do it while I have the funds.
    Get the Kahles. Lord help me if you buy a Sig. I realize the Army thinks otherwise, but the Kahles is better.

Feedback Score
    I'm astonished that you have come to that conclusion, mine was the polar opposite of mine. The NX8 was like looking through a straw compared to the Khales and Razor Gen II. Not to mention the flicker that the MK6/8 has plagues the NX8 as well at higher mag. In my opinion by making it as small as they did and making FFP they shot themselves in the foot and sacrificed the 1x...which is what most people care about in an LPVO. They're usually kept at 1x and then turned up to max for longer range stuff, which completely negates the need for FFP. BUT, by adding FFP it now has an incredibly tight eye box/fov. Jack of all trades and master of none (except size/weight).

In full disclosure I LOVE Nightforce products and use them on my work and personal rifles. I have been waiting for the NX8 for the past year and a half and was obviously disappointed. No way I could honestly recommend it over the K16i.
    I agree with the above assessment. Not sure what compelled Nightforce to make the NX8 the way it is. The Kahles and Razor are better options. If you want a 1-8x, get the ATACR.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    I agree with the above assessment. Not sure what compelled Nightforce to make the NX8 the way it is. The Kahles and Razor are better options. If you want a 1-8x, get the ATACR.
    I would love to get the ATACR but it's way outside my budget. I just can't justify dropping that kind of coin for something that is essentially a toy for me. If anybody feels like sponsoring an ATACR purchase for me I'll happily accept and let you have naming rights to my first kid. Nobody? I didn't think so.

I'm still leaning towards the NX8 because I think a jack of all trades optic is kinda what I'm looking for out of this rifle. I have other rifles I can grab for up close situations and I think the 8x will get me to the top of the range I'd ever use 5.56 for.

I have no doubt that the Kahles will beat it in many different categories, I just think I may notice/appreciate them because that isn't really what my main focus will be. I've seen a few things that make me question the durability/longevity. It's also the most expensive of the options I'm looking at and would be going over budget slightly, but not enough that I couldn't make it work if it was my absolute favorite.
    It just doesn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling that I need to justify the cost.

I'd probably end up going with a Razor if they had a reticle I liked. The cost savings and durability would justify the weight for me. I just dislike all of the reticle options way too much to make that a real contender.

That said, if I end up not liking the NX8 on this rifle I can throw it on an SBR or a lightweight general purpose gun and upgrade in the future.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Some pictures to illustrate 1x and 6-8x respectively

Razor 1-6 (photos from AlamoShooter on tos)

@ 1x

@ 6x

NX8 1-8 @ 1x (photos from superset72 on tos)

@1x

@8x (some people are reporting that 8x is so sensitive they find it unusable and have to dial back to 6/7)

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Some pictures to illustrate 1x and 6-8x respectively

Razor 1-6 (photos from AlamoShooter on tos)

@ 1x

@ 6x

NX8 1-8 @ 1x (photos from superset72 on tos)

@1x

@8x (some people are reporting that 8x is so sensitive they find it unusable and have to dial back to 6/7)
    Would you mind PMing me the links where you are seeing the feedback about the NX8 if you get a chance?

I'm seeing a lot of positive reviews along with some that say it's tight but usable but haven't seen many people who thought it was terrible.

I'd really love to take in as much info as I can before I make a decision.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    By no means is it s bad scope. Just that it is outperformed in EVERY category with the exception of length. Yes its FFP and yes its 8x, but those do more harm then good given its small size. Just check over on tos and snipershide. The negative reviews or complaints seem to come from folks who handled/shot one in person. All the glowing reviews seem to be from people who actually own them...so take that for what its worth.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    A NF rep on Snipershide stated (and I paraphrase) that the NX8 should not be compared to the Razor.. He stated that the NX8 was designed with form factor in mind and because of this could not complete with certain SFP 1-6’s in the fields of FOV, etc. The ATACR on the other hand was “built to perform.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr McSimon View Post
    It's going on a BCM 16" ELW MCMR free float rail with a BCM lower, A5 buffer system and SSA trigger, so my Recce/DMR style rifle.

I'm kinda considering the Sig Tango 6 too, but yeah, the big eyebox for the Kahles is the reason I keep coming back to that as a leading option. Plus, that seems to be the #1 recommended scope, so it might be time to do it while I have the funds.
    I have the Kahles, Razor 2, and Mark 6... for your use, Kahles all the way. Razor 2 is 90% of the scope at less cost, but weighs so much more and the zoom ring is very stiff. Kahles is also coming out with a mil-based reticle almost exactly like swaro's BRT-I, which is almost perfect.

The pictures of the Nx8 above look like a lot of thought went into the reticle at least which has the german #4 type crossbars to allow some usability on 1x without illum.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast