Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question: National Match BCG'S & other accuracy questions..

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Would you consider a threaded barrel with a thread protector?
    Wondering the same thing.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I think the carrier's a Toolcraft.

USAMU M16s are all threaded for flash suppressor/ A2-A4 compensators. They don't harm anything if done right and true and act like a crown protector.

Don't put your muzzle device on too tight or it will open your groups.

If you don't handload you'd better buy quality match ammo.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    just as a point of reference...

My precision 5.56 build(CLE spun Krieger barrel) has an AAC 51T brake on it... Gun shoots 1/2 to 3/4 moa with my tuned loads... Maybe that doesnt win big name competitions, but for me its great.

My 6.5creed AR with a JP barrel has an AAC 51T brake on it as well... smacks 6" gongs at 900 yards(if I am able to read the wind right)....

IMO a good muzzle device shouldnt affect bullet flight...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    I think the carrier's a Toolcraft.

USAMU M16s are all threaded for flash suppressor/ A2-A4 compensators. They don't harm anything if done right and true and act like a crown protector.

Don't put your muzzle device on too tight or it will open your groups.

If you don't handload you'd better buy quality match ammo.
    Thank you brother.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    just as a point of reference...

My precision 5.56 build(CLE spun Krieger barrel) has an AAC 51T brake on it... Gun shoots 1/2 to 3/4 moa with my tuned loads... Maybe that doesnt win big name competitions, but for me its great.

My 6.5creed AR with a JP barrel has an AAC 51T brake on it as well... smacks 6" gongs at 900 yards(if I am able to read the wind right)....

Hell yes, that would be good enough for me too!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    During the Clinton Administration ban some of us learned that the lack of muzzle device improved accuracy on a match rifle. I would not consider a threaded barrel on a match rifle. I would on a multi-use rifle that may have a muzzle brake or flash hider installed at some point.

As far as a "match carrier" is concerned, I would not bother. I would want the bolt headspaced to the barrel with consistent contact between bearing surfaces.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    During the Clinton Administration ban some of us learned that the lack of muzzle device improved accuracy on a match rifle. I would not consider a threaded barrel on a match rifle. I would on a multi-use rifle that may have a muzzle brake or flash hider installed at some point.

As far as a "match carrier" is concerned, I would not bother. I would want the bolt headspaced to the barrel with consistent contact between bearing surfaces.
    Sound advice, and I appreciate it sir.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I would. As others have pointed out, over tightening is counterproductive. So avoid that.

But, the AMU shoots with A1 or A2 birdcages while acknowledging that they give up some degree of accuracy in doing so. IIRC, it's on the order of about 1/3 MOA.

And that just points out another reason why you don't see much honing of the equipment to get it to shoot better - position sling shooting is more about skill than accuracy and the platform is already more than accurate enough with just some basic tweeks. Barrel, trigger, sights & float tube/rail and you too can be a National Champion. I love it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    I would not argue with you on that.

But the A1/A2 does and there isn't anything else that's allowed in HP rules.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If cost is no object, there's no need to handload these days-- there are so many great factory loads available. I have not tried them all but getting under 1 MOA is no struggle and a bunch of them will do 1/2 MOA.... I wish I had time to do a comparo shoot using my rear-banded carrier. Maybe later this summer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast