Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which is faster? (DA-related)

Feedback Score

Which is faster? (DA-related)

Which is faster with the same level of accuracy?

Drawing and firing from double - action, or drawing while cocking and firing single-action?

I'm going to test/time this myself but I was just curious if anyone else has timed this before.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post

Drawing and firing from double - action, or drawing while cocking and firing single-action?

I'm going to test/time this myself but I was just curious if anyone else has timed this before.
    Firing Double action is faster. The problem with the alternative in a stress situation is fine motor can be compromised leading to a negligent discharge.

The single action trigger is what I use when I’m target shooting for accuracy or testing a load from a rest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    Firing Double action is faster. The problem with the alternative in a stress situation is fine motor can be compromised leading to a negligent discharge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I think the "single-action is more likely to result in a ND" issue is a relic from the days of revolvers and un/under trained Police Officers.

I don't think it's any less safe than a 1911/Highpower shooter that draws from condition one.

I'll time myself drawing and firing DA and then drawing and cocking with my support thumb (and firing hand) firing SA. One and two handed.

I'm sure I'm not the first to time this out.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Problem with your suggestion is it isn't how DA/SA pistols were meant to be used, ie drawing and cocking. Meant to be shot DA, then SA afterwards.

Neither are SAO guns - they are meant to be loaded, cocked in the process, with the safety on. Not drawn, finger banged, then fired.

But if you insist on trying this because you are a poor DA shooter, have fun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Problem with your suggestion is it isn't how DA/SA pistols were meant to be used, ie drawing and cocking. Meant to be shot DA, then SA afterwards.

Neither are SAO guns - they are meant to be loaded, cocked in the process, with the safety on. Not drawn, finger banged, then fired.

But if you insist on trying this because you are a poor DA shooter, have fun.
    I grew up shooting DA revolvers and shoot them just fine. But they are slower than a SA trigger. If I can thumb the hammer back as the pistol comes up/out smoothly and consistently it will lead to faster and/or more accurate first shot.

"Meant to"? Pistols aren't "meant to" be used as an impact weapon but it can be done!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Maybe you should just transition to SAA revolvers? You'd get really good at thumbing the hammer.

Good luck then.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I grew up shooting DA revolvers and shoot them just fine. But they are slower than a SA trigger. If I can thumb the hammer back as the pistol comes up/out smoothly and consistently it will lead to faster and/or more accurate first shot.
    Like you, I have a lot of experience shooting DA revolvers. In fact my first bullseye gun was a PPC revolver built on a Model 10 frame. On rapid-fire strings I found I shot better overall using DA rather than thumb-cocking. Other folks agreed, some disagreed, YMMV. I shot some rapid fire 100's (at 25) with the revolver using DA, I shot even more with a 1911. Apples to oranges.

From the holster to the shot is a different matter. You have to compromise your shooting grip to cock the action.

If you are faster and appreciably more accurate thumb cocking a DA/SA auto-pistol from the holster I would suggest you either work on your draw or you DA skills.

Just what I've found over the years.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    That. I carried DA/SA Sigs on duty for 23 out of my 25 year LEO run.

Once you get practiced with, and used to the DA, it’s amazing how quickly you can clear leather and put a round right where you want it to go. Even now days, after not carrying one daily for a few years, I can still surprise myself with how accurate it is first shot DA.

No, it Will never be as fast as a striker fired model with someone equally capable, but it is surprisingly close if you practice. Maybe just a few tenths of a second. It’s all shot placement when you boil down to it.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    Are you an IDPA shooter?
    This is the kind of thing a bunch of old diabetes ridden old fat guys like to wax poetic about between stages of cowering behind cover at slide lock and virtually no movement stages intended not to handicap guys with COPD and gout in their fishing vests.

Just how damn accurate they would be on that first shot if not for the DA pull and how accurate they are all SA bullseye.

With DA/SA semiauto pistols this has been tested into the dirt.

Go to a USPSA March and watch the Production guys win with DA/SA gun’s with no thoughts of that first pull.
    Go to training and see what the pros teach with DA/SA guns.

CIF guys were using M9s for a long period in SFARTEC and the line ODAs we’re doing SOT then SFAUC and were not cocking on the draw.

SA semiauto have such a light trigger, a safety is considered necessary when carrying.
    Classic DA like a revolver had a heavier, longer trigger and safeties were no considered necessary.

DA/SA grew from a desire to have that DA “safe” margin without having to articulate a safety, but not totally lose aspects of SA trigger advantages.

Even with a safety,
    On 19/2011 pistols, and also striker guns with super light triggers, it was not uncommon to see NDs at matches. Typically putting off shots early. Sometimes DQ-able, sometimes not as they claimed a “miss”. They did not really miss, these were high end shooters. They set super light trigger off a touch before they meant to.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    ^ what he said.

Anecdotally I’ve found that actually shooting a DA revolver in DA is not a handicap. I don’t even own one, but the once or twice a year I get to see my folks I have a lot fun shooting my dad’s S&W 986 Pro. Lots of fun to shoot, accurate, and has a perfectly serviceable DA trigger. I think I thumb cocked it all of 7 times, and no longer bother, it’s plenty accurate in DA.

Frankly if it were mine, I’d have a really good trigger job and action tune performed with Apex or Power Custom parts running a bobbed hammer. Make it DA only, it’s faster because you can start to roll through the trigger on your press out on the draw. Takes *gasp* practice but even my dumb ass can time it so at full presentation there’s not much trigger movement left before the hammer falls, just enough time to get an acceptable sight picture. Someone who shoots and trains with one consistently will get draw to first round hits just as fast as any other platform.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast