Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which is faster? (DA-related)

Feedback Score
    Here's the first of a three part series by Ernest Langdon, a DA/SA aficionado, top level competition shooter, retired Marine, and long-time industry guy, about the DA shot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsoX26OhDCY
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    Are you an IDPA shooter?
    This is the kind of thing a bunch of old diabetes ridden old fat guys like to wax poetic about between stages of cowering behind cover at slide lock and virtually no movement stages intended not to handicap guys with COPD and gout in their fishing vests.

You win the internet today.

Feedback Score
    Not a recolver guy, but i want to establish a perfect grip and then draw. Drawing while cocking (any time ive cocked a revolver ir da/sa gun), resulted an a compromised grip, even though its slight.

Test it for yourself, but i bet da will be faster and more reliable, if you practice da dry fire religiously- as you should.

Keep it mind, its not what gives the best time a few times, its what is consistently fast and accurate, and repeatable.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 05-19-18 at 21:56.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are you an IDPA shooter?
    This is the kind of thing a bunch of old diabetes ridden old fat guys like to wax poetic about between stages of cowering behind cover at slide lock and virtually no movement stages intended not to handicap guys with COPD and gout in their fishing vests.
    Come on now, celebrate diversity. And, those are photographer's vests. Jeez, always with the hate.

CIF guys were using M9s for a long period in SFARTEC and the line ODAs we’re doing SOT then SFAUC and were not cocking on the draw.
    Well, hell no they weren't cocking on the draw, with those heavy Rolex's and Star sapphire rings, it was all they could do to clear nylon.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Practice with the DA and a timer. It takes a lot of work but you will get to be just a fast, and dare I say it? Maybe even faster. You can finish "tweaking your grip", and aligning your sights while going through the trigger press.

I've recently thought long and hard about my EDC and I'm largely moving away from striker fired guns. I just picked up a H&K P30V3 and likely will get a P30L LEM for my primary specifically because I do like DA revolvers and the trigger press is a lot more similar than a striker fired gun. It'll be better transitioning between the two platforms.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I think the "single-action is more likely to result in a ND" issue is a relic from the days of revolvers and un/under trained Police Officers.

I don't think it's any less safe than a 1911/Highpower shooter that draws from condition one.

I'll time myself drawing and firing DA and then drawing and cocking with my support thumb (and firing hand) firing SA. One and two handed.

I'm sure I'm not the first to time this out.
    What you are describing (thumb cocking DA Autos on the draw) is both unsafe and unreliable.

DA autos can shot be plenty fast from DA. It’s a training issue, nothing more. More correctly, training plus people too lazy to put in the work.

Check out Ernest Langdon’s YouTube video series “fear not the Double action shot.”
    Last edited by HCM; 05-20-18 at 01:46.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Are you an IDPA shooter?
    Someone doesn’t like IDPA, never seen anyone get that triggered over it though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Not a recolver guy, but i want to establish a perfect grip and then draw. Drawing while cocking (any time ive cocked a revolver ir da/sa gun), resulted an a compromised grip, even though its slight.

Test it for yourself, but i bet da will be faster and more reliable, if you practice da dry fire religiously- as you should.

Keep it mind, its not what gives the best time a few times, its what is consistently fast and accurate, and repeatable.
    I practiced the idea (no timing) with my Cheetah and this is exactly what I found.

For a smoother, repeatable draw and 1st shot, leave the hammer out of it.

It is NOT unsafe. The gun won't fire unless I press the trigger. It's just slower and creates a "bump" in the draw.

Thanks, guys.
    Last edited by Ron3; 05-20-18 at 09:08.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    Someone doesn’t like IDPA, never seen anyone get that triggered over it though.
    It’s not that I don’t like it. I just like exaggerating for humorous effects more.

I will be happy to bust on USPSA’s penchant for walking through and planning courses of fire, changing production optics to carry optics to basically limited with a slide mounted red dot, and evolving Production rules to ensure no production no longer needing to be, well, an actual production gun.

Or how three gun is infatuated with ways to avoid mag changes in pistol and Carbine, but is somehow enamored my as many shotgun reloads as possible.

Or cowboy action shooting’s two digit power factor.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post

I’m all about the grip as well.

Those snap open mag baseplates from beretta or the HK squeeze cocker drive me nuts.
    Flipping a safety with your thumb is one thing. A fixed strong hand grip with off hand thumbing a SA revolver is one thing.

But shifting grip on the steong hand is downright disconcerting to me.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast