Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to treat or preserve the very rare safe Queen ?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like their are many proven options. I guess slop some shit on it, and check periodically is a solid plan.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Pappabear-
    Ive got a close friend of mine, who bought a NIB S&W loong barreled P&R .357 back in '76, '77, the Silhouette Target model. Been fired 4 times, two cylinders remain unfired. Not even a turn mark on the cylinder. Couple years ago, he brings it over..STUNNING piece. That old school blueing, quality, fit & finish. I was dying!
    Could not even pull the trigger, was gummed up. So, he wanted me to clean it, and I did. Anyway, to my knowledge..he kept it in the bottom of acloset in a freaking sock or something unreal..still looked new! Myself- Id get that waxy looking paper they use, or use to use, put it in a gunsock in a nice thick box, and forgetaboutit, checking it frequently. But ME- Im a wheelgun man to the core- I could NOT resist wearing the thing out. Just my thoughts.
    BTW- I had Colt Frontier Scout for many years that unreal accurate. Shot the fool out of that thing, was a great little revolver.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 05-23-18 at 12:54.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar da Wolf View Post
    I have heard that Boeshield T9 works well for long term gun storage.
    Just DO NOT APPLY it to any moving parts ... as it WILL cause them to stick.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty223 View Post
    I’d clean and coat w/ Birchwood-Casey ‘Barricade’ (used to be called ‘Sheath’) ...
    I think they had to rename it after Trojan condoms threaten to sue them over protecting the wrong gun.

Nailed it.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I don't have anything really nice, but I use Renaissance Wax on the blued stuff that I don't shoot much. It's been good to me so far. Easy on, easy off, and no issues with corrosion.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Hard to go wrong with Rig gun grease.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...prod31842.aspx

I’ve used it with good results.

Also for true long term storage if you’re worried about corrosion, you might consider pulling the stocks off and storing them separately. The potential to trap moisture between the wood/plastic/rubber etc and the steel frame is there otherwise.

Good luck!
    Rig rag with grease is the classic answer

Feedback Score
    Classic because it works.

Grease stays put and doesn’t run off.

Feedback Score
    One of the nice things about VCI bags (if they work as advertised) is...

You don't have to clean anything after removal from the bag
    Don't have to break anything down to treat all parts - vapor penetrates all nooks and crannies
    Works on electronics and optics
    Works on ammunition

Can't say that about cosmoline, but again - this is only if the bags perform as they are meant to perform.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I'm surprised Break Free didn't do better. Isn't Break Free supposed to be some super product based on the military's CLP?
    Long time ago I did my own corrosion test of a bunch of different gun products. I'd post a pic but lost them on a hard drive crash. Breakfree CLP started corroding at about 1 day. I was shocked.

Froglube Paste applied per the "heat, let cool, and wipe-it-all-off" method basically tied with Eezox for 1st place. I think both are a type of wax. The steel panel I used stayed out in my back yard for months and these two products won hands down. It snowed, fogged, rained and everything else on that thing. I still use FL paste on some guns for corrosion protection only. It's good stuff for that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    Here's a good article on firearms preservatives. I personally use Weapon's Shield myself but have been thinking of going to the WD40 Rust Preventative because it outlasted everything else just about according to this test.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667
    Never ever use WD40 for any storage of firearms long or short term. If you do screw up and have to use WD40, clean it as soon as possible with a well know gun cleaner and lube with a well known gun lube. I have seen first hand how WD40 turned to lacquer on a collectible (Colt XM177). It took about 4 hours to remove it.

M/

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast